4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Another Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 02:04 PM

Another Starting problem

96SE - a few weeks back the car would not start or turn over. Replaced the battery and put in reman Autozone starter and it started right back up. It wasn’t really driven but about 2 weeks ago same thing happened. Replaced the starter alone with a new one this time (extra $20 from Autozone) and it started right up again. Two days ago it cranked but would not start. Now it’s dead (no crank) again. Is there a short or something I’m missing? I bought a starter ground cable but haven’t put it in yet. Could it be a bad ignition switch? Help please.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by slowmanvns
96SE - a few weeks back the car would not start or turn over. Replaced the battery and put in reman Autozone starter and it started right back up. It wasn’t really driven but about 2 weeks ago same thing happened. Replaced the starter alone with a new one this time (extra $20 from Autozone) and it started right up again. Two days ago it cranked but would not start. Now it’s dead (no crank) again. Is there a short or something I’m missing? I bought a starter ground cable but haven’t put it in yet. Could it be a bad ignition switch? Help please.
BTW - battery seems good. All electrical working, lights, radio etc.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:04 PM

Is your Max automatic or manual?

Here's a video on the ignition switch. I would be tempted to test the switch with a screwdriver before buying a replacement.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:25 PM
JvG

+1 regarding igniton switch. They are a known weakness on this car.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Is your Max automatic or manual?

Here's a video on the ignition switch. I would be tempted to test the switch with a screwdriver before buying a replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ykT9uCJXSY
it is an automatic with less than 90k which I have given to my 22 yr nephew. Thanks to both you and JVG for replying.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by JvG
+1 regarding igniton switch. They are a known weakness on this car.
Strange how the car always starts great for a few days after changing the starter tho.
On a side note my nephew now tells me he’s been disconnecting the negative cable from the battery ever since this problem started happening a few weeks ago, even after putting in the new starters. I wonder if these no starts are a result.....
Old 11-04-2017, 09:11 AM

Is he disconnecting the battery because of the starting problem or for another reason? I don't want to believe that disconnecting the battery has something to do with the problem, but stranger things have happened.

Here is a thread on diagnosing a no crank condition. It is a 5th gen thread, but the 4th & 5th are almost identical in this aspect. Once the problem is isolated down a little further, we can give you better information.

maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/656595-maxima-won-t-crank-no-start-thread.html
Old 11-04-2017, 10:45 AM

It all started with a problem with the car cutting off whilst driving and he would disconnect the battery after each instance where we tried different solutions and waiting for parts to come (maf, thermostat). He then started the doing same after these starter issues hoping to avoid a trip to Autozone to recharge the battery.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:19 PM
JvG

Does the engine consistantly die as soon as it is at normal operating temperature, but will start normally when the engine is cold?
Old 11-04-2017, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
Does the engine consistantly die as soon as it is at normal operating temperature, but will start normally when the engine is cold?
Originally yes. See this
https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...-stalling.html
2 wks ago we bought a used oem maf off eBay and installed it and it ran perfectly for the day. My nephew left for the UK thereafter for 2 weeks and thereby unplugged the negative terminal which leads us to all this. Sorry this is all so jumbled up.