4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Thought transmission was going bad !!!!??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 12:23 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Thought transmission was going bad !!!!??

I bought this car 10 years ago this coming Feb. 1996 SE loaded 5 speed manual.

This car was owned by a org member in Manhattan for a while he kept it mint. It was supercharged, BBK whole deal.Then sold to member in SC who then moved to NC.Very clean car .Just paint peeling from front bumper .

Bought it Off a Org member down in Charlotte NC,for $2500 cash. Flew down to the airport ,no test drive. Just handed him the $2500 and drove back. It had 119k on odometer and had many engine changes.This one had crank walk which was not disclosed to me. So i put a 01 dek engine in it with 23k on it for $500.

This car to me was a work car a beater. Cars like this i drive into the ground only replace what is 100% necessary. I have probably spent less than $1000 including engine and maintenance on this car in 10 years. struts and shocks have been blown for over 7 years ,these are the things i don't replace on a car like this.

I have been getting a feeling over the last year it may be time for the junkyard. The reason for this thread is, this Car also had a 01 trans that came with it, With who knows how many miles.
It had a hole in it when i got it. It is covered with JB weld, And has a super slow leak a slight leak. I replaced this trans with another 01 . This trans has been in and out of this car 2 times. Just got put back in 2 years ago after other one died. But this one with the hole is the original,when i bought it.

And it brings me to this, the thing has been super hard to shift(sometimes using two arms to shift) over last couple years. Won't go in gear and pops out.
And i discovered that i was wrong all along. transmission has nothing wrong with it. I was swapping the B&M shifter out of it, to use in the 01 i am building to replace it. And i could not get the shoulder bolt (picture below)out.

Had to grind and use a punch to remove it.It was extremely rust welded to the inside of the shifter.The one bolt in picture, below came from the 01 max.

I put the 01 shifter in, with different shoulder bolt. Used a lot of grease.
And i must say, the transmission could be shifted with the bristles of a paint brush. Feels very close to the shift feeling of the RSX i had.

I posting this to say i don't know as much about cars as i thought . And also don't assume things without checking stuff over.
Attached Thumbnails Thought transmission was going bad !!!!??-dscn0498.jpg   Thought transmission was going bad !!!!??-img_7697.jpg  
Old 11-10-2017, 02:30 AM

live and learn brother, nothing wrong with a little slice of humble pie now and then.