4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Okay, I finally understand you HID guys....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 08:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Okay, I finally understand you HID guys....

So I was driving back from upatate NY last night. It was cloudy, so the moon wasn't shining. If you've ever been on I-90W/E between MA/NY, you know that there is NOTHING and NO LIGHTS. I am used to driving in CT and near NYC...there are lots of lights and "light pollution," because of the small size of the area. But in the middle of nowhere, with my stock headlights and foglights on, I had to use my highbeams a lot. So, I kind of see why you might want those HID's now.

However, since I am not going to go to upstate NY too much, I don't care!

Just thought I'd post.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:00 AM

yeah - HID's look kool too!
Old 02-04-2002, 09:17 AM

GO AWAY

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
yeah - HID's look kool too!
Mr. 95emeraldgxe, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent posts do you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having reading your posts. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

STOP WHORING
Old 02-04-2002, 09:20 AM

true..
Old 02-04-2002, 09:53 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: GO AWAY

Originally posted by Maxima Shine

Mr. 95emeraldgxe, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent posts do you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having reading your posts. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

STOP WHORING
AMEN!
Old 02-04-2002, 10:03 AM

Re: Re: GO AWAY

Originally posted by mzmtg

AMEN!
AE?
Old 02-04-2002, 10:19 AM

Re: Re: Re: GO AWAY

i posted the same thing a few weeks ago about 95emerald when he bragged he had about 1000 posts in a week or something... what makes it worse is the server is busy for that trash...
Old 02-04-2002, 10:59 AM

uhhh okay back to the HID's........
Old 02-04-2002, 11:45 AM

do you think the price comparison between what they cost and what they do for you is legitimate? you could get a number of other quality parts for the price of just some lights...
Old 02-04-2002, 12:11 PM
www.autotalk.com

They might look good but they arelike COP MAGNETS! and thats the reason i DONT like them.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'd love to pick up some HIDs at some point, but the thing that always bothers me is inspection :/ I'm pretty sure in TX you HAVE to have high beams which all the aftermarket kits don't. With the GD prices they look even more appealing though.
-hype
Old 02-04-2002, 12:57 PM

i dont think they are too bad of cop magnets, since most new mbz, bmw, acura tl has them, btw matt check my post in tx forum
Old 02-04-2002, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by xHypex
I'd love to pick up some HIDs at some point, but the thing that always bothers me is inspection :/ I'm pretty sure in TX you HAVE to have high beams which all the aftermarket kits don't. With the GD prices they look even more appealing though.
-hype

FYI

HID's by design/nature cannot act as both high and low beams. Hence, BMWs (with 2 circular headlight housings) have the HID option because the other circle (inner) housing takes care of the high beam. Other models with one headlight housing (ie, Audi, Mercedes, etc) will have two sections within it, sectioning off the HID buld from the regular halogen for the high beam.

Just thought that you might want to know. Besides, knowledge is the strongest weapon a person can possess.
Old 02-04-2002, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Str8Maxin

FYI

HID's by design/nature cannot act as both high and low beams. Hence, BMWs (with 2 circular headlight housings) have the HID option because the other circle (inner) housing takes care of the high beam. Other models with one headlight housing (ie, Audi, Mercedes, etc) will have two sections within it, sectioning off the HID buld from the regular halogen for the high beam.

Just thought that you might want to know. Besides, knowledge is the strongest weapon a person can possess.
So what your saying is that i'll fail inspection in NY because I won't have any operating high beams?
Old 02-04-2002, 01:59 PM

FYI

What does the 2k2 do for inspection reasons? Same thing?

SuDZ
Old 02-04-2002, 02:10 PM

I can't speak for 2k2's, but my brother's I35 has the HIDs and a smaller bulb (I don't know what it is) which acts as the high beam. I knew that HIDs couldn't have high beams because of their construction, but for some reason manufacturers haven't figured out a way to mimic the I35 setup (or they don't care).
-hype
Old 02-04-2002, 02:39 PM

I can't speak for 2k2's, but my brother's I35 has the HIDs and a smaller bulb (I don't know what it is) which acts as the high beam. I knew that HIDs couldn't have high beams because of their construction, but for some reason manufacturers haven't figured out a way to mimic the I35 setup (or they don't care).
-hype
Wow. HID's with the Highbeam bulb that you mentioned must look like daylight out there. Alot of people probably just swap back to stock on upgraded HID systems though if a high beam is needed. Is it easy enough to swap back and forth?

SuDZ
Old 02-04-2002, 02:59 PM

The 2002's have separate halogen bulbs for highbeams.

Yes, the bulbs are easy to swap (for me). My car needs to be inspected this month, so I'll put the stock bulbs back in. It'll take significantly less than five minutes to do.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:13 PM

Don't you also have to take out the ballasts when you pull the HIDs? I don't know how the HIDs connect to everything so I have no idea.
-hype
Old 02-04-2002, 03:21 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

STOP WHORING

Thank you, May I buy you a beer?
Old 02-04-2002, 03:22 PM

STOP WHORING
nice quote from Billy Madison
Old 02-04-2002, 03:41 PM

Re: Okay, I finally understand you HID guys....

Originally posted by Lime
So I was driving back from upatate NY last night. It was cloudy, so the moon wasn't shining. If you've ever been on I-90W/E between MA/NY, you know that there is NOTHING and NO LIGHTS. I am used to driving in CT and near NYC...there are lots of lights and "light pollution," because of the small size of the area. But in the middle of nowhere, with my stock headlights and foglights on, I had to use my highbeams a lot. So, I kind of see why you might want those HID's now.

However, since I am not going to go to upstate NY too much, I don't care!

Just thought I'd post.
This is the prime reason why I bought mine. I thought my eyes were getting bad in night driving(big difference from Brooklyn). I'm very happy with mine even driving on RT 15 in all of IT's darkness.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:44 PM

Re: Re: Okay, I finally understand you HID guys....

Originally posted by deezo
This is the prime reason why I bought mine. I thought my eyes were getting bad in night driving(big difference from Brooklyn). I'm very happy with mine even driving on RT 15 in all of IT's darkness.
So how much of a difference does it make on the road in front of you? Like does it spread wider as well? Also what happens when you try to use highbeams with your HID conversion? Anything or just the highs are not connected at all?

SuDZ
Old 02-04-2002, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by Max4Speed
They might look good but they arelike COP MAGNETS! and thats the reason i DONT like them.
I have to give you a big negative on that comment friend. I've passed about 20 cops since I've put these lights in (about a month) and not one of them cared. Now I think if I had those hyperwhites along with the HID's, that would be a different story.

If your put HID's in your ride, you'd love'em.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:40 PM

Re: Re: Okay, I finally understand you HID guys....

Originally posted by deezo
Older drivers typically need more light than younger drivers to see the same at night. Oops, did I bold that by accident?
Old 02-04-2002, 09:20 PM

FYI

not true... i have seen 4th gens w/ HID lights that also have high-low ability.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by wicked1044

not true... i have seen 4th gens w/ HID lights that also have high-low ability.
What kind would those be wicked? I'd love to get HIDs, but I'd prefer the high/low capability.
-hype
Old 02-04-2002, 10:09 PM

Re: Re: GO AWAY

Originally posted by bags533

Thank you, May I buy you a beer?

Yeah, make it a Bud, in a frosty glass
Old 02-05-2002, 12:55 AM

I often am dissapointed with my stock lights, i have to drive on a highway thats in the middle of no where and I cant see a whole lot without using my brights. Wish they came brighter stock. Oh well, Take Care
Old 02-05-2002, 05:13 AM

I think the HID guys are all missing the point >>

If it is indeed true that you no longer "need" your highbeams when driving on dark roads it means that the HIDs are now putting light in the amount and distance that the high beams used to provide. What this also means is that now you are imposing excessive glare on drivers moving toward you. At least with highbeams, you can switch them off...

In order to pass inspection anywhere in the US, you need to have working highbeams. THe 5th Gens and I30s all use an additional single filament bulb for highbeams, usually an HB3/9005, H7 or H1.
Old 02-05-2002, 06:54 AM

Re: I think the HID guys are all missing the point >>

Originally posted by Albertt
If it is indeed true that you no longer "need" your highbeams when driving on dark roads it means that the HIDs are now putting light in the amount and distance that the high beams used to provide. What this also means is that now you are imposing excessive glare on drivers moving toward you. At least with highbeams, you can switch them off...

In order to pass inspection anywhere in the US, you need to have working highbeams. THe 5th Gens and I30s all use an additional single filament bulb for highbeams, usually an HB3/9005, H7 or H1.
so far no one makes an hid housing for the 4th gen max. i want to see at night, i want hid in my car. what should i do? should i wait and find out that no one will make an hid housing? you now for now i'll keep my hid on untill something comes out better. it might be next week or it may never happen. even factory hid are not perfect they still give out glare. tell me 1 factory car that does not give out glare. when you find a conv for the max will it cost $395 with the hids. i didn't think so.

so for now i'll keep my hids on and be able to see a hole lot better. just to let you know the beam pattern is not that bad.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:07 PM

What kind would those be wicked? I'd love to get HIDs, but I'd prefer the high/low capability.
-hype
i have to find out the name.. they are kinda pricey..
Old 02-05-2002, 12:36 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by Max4Speed

yes exactly

I would love to get me a set though, did you see how those things light up the road?! It's like driving in the daytime, but only at night
Old 02-05-2002, 01:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: Okay, I finally understand you HID guys....

Originally posted by SuDZ

So how much of a difference does it make on the road in front of you? Like does it spread wider as well? Also what happens when you try to use highbeams with your HID conversion? Anything or just the highs are not connected at all?

SuDZ
When I use my Highbeams on my HID's my Fog Lights go out.. Weird ehh??
Old 02-05-2002, 03:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Okay, I finally understand you HID guys....

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

No, they do that stock. Has nothing to do with the HID's

As for inspections, as long as you leave on your regular bulb harness/fittings, you have the option of going to standard bulbs in the blink of an eye. Just power your hits by using wire taps that you get from Radio shack. One day a year (for inspections) should not deter you from getting better lights. And although they do look good, I consider this a safety mod. When I need to communicate with other drivers, instead of my high beams, I will flash my yellow fogs. As for distance, they do not replace function of high beams--however, I honestly haven't used highbeams in maybe 2 years...
Old 02-05-2002, 03:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Okay, I finally understand you HID guys....

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

You could always rewire that if you wanted. So the fogs stay on with the HID's.

SuDZ
Old 02-05-2002, 06:06 PM

HAHHAHA, dear lord i love that movie!!!!
Good call too...

STOP WHORING
Old 02-05-2002, 09:59 PM

What you halogen guys don't get is that HIDs are a whole different type of light. My headlights are aimed to DOT specs done by a Nissan body shop. I have not had anyone highbeam me at all, and I think they are still too low. When I'm behind someone, all of the light is focused on the back of their trunk, without any refractions of light glaring into the cabin. When we say we don't need high beams anymore is because not only can we see farther than before, but now road signs and markings are lit up more than ever before. This is due to the fact that HIDs put out more lumens than a standard Halogen bulb. We don't have to blind anyone to see at night. It just makes night visibility more efficient.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by NightRider
What you halogen guys don't get is that HIDs are a whole different type of light. My headlights are aimed to DOT specs done by a Nissan body shop. I have not had anyone highbeam me at all, and I think they are still too low. When I'm behind someone, all of the light is focused on the back of their trunk, without any refractions of light glaring into the cabin. When we say we don't need high beams anymore is because not only can we see farther than before, but now road signs and markings are lit up more than ever before. This is due to the fact that HIDs put out more lumens than a standard Halogen bulb. We don't have to blind anyone to see at night. It just makes night visibility more efficient.
hey NightRider at least we can see at night. we see more than just 6ft in front of us. we see twice as far and it makes the max look good. lol lol
Old 02-06-2002, 06:20 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Okay, I finally understand you HID guys....

Originally posted by SuDZ

You could always rewire that if you wanted. So the fogs stay on with the HID's.

SuDZ
I haven't looked at the car when the highs are on...is it true the fogs go out with normal lights when you turn on your highs? That sucks; I'd love to know how to rewire that.

Quick Reply: Okay, I finally understand you HID guys....