4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Faulty Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 10:12 AM

Faulty Gasket

A friend of mine who has owned Maximas in the past told me yesterday to be weary of 3 gaskets on a Maxima. He said two of them can be replaced for about $50 but one of them if it goes cost $2000 to fix. Have you guys ever heard of such a thing. I'm no mechanic but I can't imagine any gasket costing that much to replace unless it causes the engine to seize or something. Can you guys help clarify this. He said it happens around 60K? I didn't see anything in the Maitenance post with regards to gaskets!
Old 02-04-2002, 10:18 AM

Re: Faulty Gasket

Originally posted by Toffy
A friend of mine who has owned Maximas in the past told me yesterday to be weary of 3 gaskets on a Maxima. He said two of them can be replaced for about $50 but one of them if it goes cost $2000 to fix. Have you guys ever heard of such a thing. I'm no mechanic but I can't imagine any gasket costing that much to replace unless it causes the engine to seize or something. Can you guys help clarify this. He said it happens around 60K? I didn't see anything in the Maitenance post with regards to gaskets!
I'm no real mechanic either (just little stuff), but I've never heard anything like that before concerning the 4th gen. maxima's. Anyone else heard anything?
Old 02-04-2002, 10:20 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The only major gasket that can really do engine damage is the head gasket. The gasket itself only costs a few bucks. But the labor to take the top half of your motor apart to replace it is costly. Besides, I've never heard anybody on this .org blowing a head gasket. I'm not sure your friend really knows what he's talking about.

A head gasket usually fails if your car overheats severly. Older Iron head 4 bangers would have head gasket problems due to warping heads. Our engine is aluminum, the heads too I think. They really don't warp per say under normal conditions.

What other 2 gaskets is your buddy refering to?
Old 02-05-2002, 05:20 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
The only major gasket that can really do engine damage is the head gasket. The gasket itself only costs a few bucks. But the labor to take the top half of your motor apart to replace it is costly. Besides, I've never heard anybody on this .org blowing a head gasket. I'm not sure your friend really knows what he's talking about.

A head gasket usually fails if your car overheats severly. Older Iron head 4 bangers would have head gasket problems due to warping heads. Our engine is aluminum, the heads too I think. They really don't warp per say under normal conditions.

What other 2 gaskets is your buddy refering to?
I have new information. The gasket he was referring to was in the transmission. He says there a 3 seals (2 of which are easy to replace) the 3rd of which requires the transmission to be taken apart. He says it only happens on 5spd's and around 60K. Nissan is aware of the defect. Have any of you guys had any issues?
Old 02-05-2002, 05:51 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by Toffy

I have new information. The gasket he was referring to was in the transmission. He says there a 3 seals (2 of which are easy to replace) the 3rd of which requires the transmission to be taken apart. He says it only happens on 5spd's and around 60K. Nissan is aware of the defect. Have any of you guys had any issues?
Yes, he's talking about the drive shaft seals. Yes they fail but usually only when the differential bearings fail. Thus your looking at a tranny rebuild. A few guys on here have had trannys fail exactly like that. The leak, and some play in the driveshafts are the clues that your tranny is failing.

Still not sure what third seal/gasket he's talking about. Maybe the main input shaft seal?
Old 02-05-2002, 06:12 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Yes, he's talking about the drive shaft seals. Yes they fail but usually only when the differential bearings fail. Thus your looking at a tranny rebuild. A few guys on here have had trannys fail exactly like that. The leak, and some play in the driveshafts are the clues that your tranny is failing.

Still not sure what third seal/gasket he's talking about. Maybe the main input shaft seal?
Is there any preventative maitenance that can be done?