Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   so i've tried EVERYTHING, car still smokes at start up (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/703818-so-ive-tried-everything-car-still-smokes-start-up.html)

max ride 41 03-04-2019 09:26 PM

so i've tried EVERYTHING, car still smokes at start up

as stated, new cat seemed to help at first, but i started up the max today and still have tons of smoke and fuel smell. i got a code for an iacv ( 0505 ) and cleared it, but with all the issues i had and i know the plugs are still going to be black. i have a intermotor iacv, only about 10 months old, second one to throw a code in less than a year. i got an oem one from ebay for cheap, wanted to see if she'd run better with that rather than the aftermarket one. i know she's been sitting for a week, and the colder air and all the dampness makes her run even worse. i still so stumped on this running issue i'm ready to give up, ideas? ask any questions, no codes, after she warms up the smoke goes away, but returns after she sits for an hour or 2. i'm so completely frustrated, halp.:banghead:

JvG 03-04-2019 11:22 PM

Sorry if this has been brought up before.

Status of fuel injectors?

MadMax07SL 03-05-2019 04:03 AM

What color is the smoke? All that detail and you left that out. Do you think it's just unburned fuels? I'd think if this were worst case, you have valves sticking open, engine seals, head gasket, something serious is likely causing this, considering it seems you've troubleshot it from the outside for a bit now...

JoshG 03-05-2019 04:13 AM

Some of your fuel injectors are stuck open. Even though u may of have replaced them, they could be stuck open...

Turbobink 03-05-2019 04:36 AM

Perhaps you're MAF hasn't been properly cleaned :whistling:

All kidding aside ... as I recall several, if not a number, of members have urged you to look in the direction of the injectors ... and we still urge you to look in that direction.

Your symptoms are classic.

max ride 41 03-05-2019 04:54 AM

when i get the $$$$ and the time and it warms up, i'm going to pull the front 3 injectors and see what they look like. 2 are about 2 years old and one is 12 months old. the 3 in the rear are 10 months old and were put in together. coils are new, compression was checked and i had one cylinder that was a little lower than the rest, leak down test maybe?? why does the iacv keep throwing a code?

krismax 03-05-2019 05:20 AM

Have you checked your IM it's probably filled with oil. And have you changed your PCV lately?

Violator 03-05-2019 05:41 AM

Fuel smell it smells like fuel only happens at start up and some time later could be something with the evap. This systems opens and closes and I'm pretty sure affects cold starts. I'd say definitely run some fuel injector cleaner if you haven't

If it's not evap or injectors I'd be surprised you're not throwing a code for whatever it is

max ride 41 03-05-2019 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by krismax (Post 9196796)
Have you checked your IM it's probably filled with oil. And have you changed your PCV lately?

Originally Posted by Violator (Post 9196798)
Fuel smell it smells like fuel only happens at start up and some time later could be something with the evap. This systems opens and closes and I'm pretty sure affects cold starts. I'd say definitely run some fuel injector cleaner if you haven't

If it's not evap or injectors I'd be surprised you're not throwing a code for whatever it is

no codes, and i can't think what the im is krismax, pcv valve is new. new fpr, new 02's, new crank sensor, coils, plugs. new intake and valve cover seals, no vacuum leaks, would a charcoal canister stop working and not throw a code? what about that valve in front of it? check in later---

Zerodrag 03-05-2019 07:16 AM

I forgot if you've already checked or replaced, but how about the coolant temp sensor? Long shot but something to consider it haven't already.

Turbobink 03-05-2019 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41 (Post 9196802)
no codes, and i can't think what the im is krismax...

Intake Manifold ...

Shrout1 03-05-2019 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Violator (Post 9196798)
Fuel smell it smells like fuel only happens at start up and some time later could be something with the evap. This systems opens and closes and I'm pretty sure affects cold starts.

My '12 Mustang was running like hot garbage after I filled it up and it turned out to be an evap canister issue. Could lead to a fuel smell...

Zerodrag 03-05-2019 02:20 PM

If the smell is a raw fuel smell, and your gas tank is pretty full, there is the possibility that it could be that the fuel sending level unit having a crack on the plastic top. This happened to me and I had found it only through an old forum post. the smell would only show up when the tank was filled and the car had been running. It disappears after sitting for awhile probably due to loss of pressure in the tank and evaporation of fuel that got pushed out. this would not explain the smoke coming out of your exhaust though.

max ride 41 03-05-2019 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Turbobink (Post 9196812)
Intake Manifold ...

new upper and lower gaskets. no code for coolant temp sensor. that was bad 14 years ago and i had the dealer replace it.