4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oil filter change interval with Synthetic motor oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 09:25 PM

Oil filter change interval with Synthetic motor oil

I've read that I should change my oil filter every 3K and my oil every 9-12K if I switch to synthetic motor oil (I saw this on a redline website http://www.myoilshop.com/AutoPrds.html )
If I use a better filter (K&N) can I increase the interval of that too? I'd like them to match.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:04 AM

Just change your oil filter every time you change your oil. It should be fine. Surprisingly, Nissan's new interval for the oil filter is something high like 15k. So, I think whatever interval you use for synthetic should be fine with an OEM filter.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:09 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Eric L.
Just change your oil filter every time you change your oil. It should be fine. Surprisingly, Nissan's new interval for the oil filter is something high like 15k. So, I think whatever interval you use for synthetic should be fine with an OEM filter.
Eric,

Going extended drain intervals on one filter isn't necessarily wise based upon the Oil Analysis spreadsheet results, which can show a much shorter filter life depending on driving conditions.

sarmast,

Please read the Oil Analysis Spreadsheet post at the top of the forum and then return with your questions.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:24 AM

i change my oil every 3k and oil filter every 6k ... i use mobile1 synthetic with mobile1 racing oil filter. my car runs smooth, warms up quick and stays cool!
Old 02-05-2002, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

sarmast,
Please read the Oil Analysis Spreadsheet post at the top of the forum and then return with your questions.
I just read through the spreadsheet and I see no data regarding the oil filter change interval, most of the test were conducted using an OEM nissan filter and I didn't see any test conducted with the same oil and different filters. That and the sample size (a few vehicles with potentially drastically different histories) still leaves me with the question of how often to change the filter and what kind to use. I won't buy synthetic oil and then change it every 3K because I can think of much better(though less efficient) ways to throw money away... and whats the point of have extended oil life if you still have to crawl under the engine every 3K to change the filter.
Old 02-05-2002, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by sarmast

I just read through the spreadsheet and I see no data regarding the oil filter change interval, most of the test were conducted using an OEM nissan filter and I didn't see any test conducted with the same oil and different filters. That and the sample size (a few vehicles with potentially drastically different histories) still leaves me with the question of how often to change the filter and what kind to use. I won't buy synthetic oil and then change it every 3K because I can think of much better(though less efficient) ways to throw money away... and whats the point of have extended oil life if you still have to crawl under the engine every 3K to change the filter.
The easiest thing to do is match your driving conditions to those members who have participated. The people with a brain around here insist on a MINIMUM of 5k miles on dino oil and 7.5k on synthetics with NO filter changes.

DO NOT ONLY GO 3k ON ANY OIL, UNLESS IT HAS A BLACK AND WHITE LABEL THAT SAYS "MOTOR OIL" ON IT. Jiffy Lube's assertions are designed to panic and scare everyone into bringing their cars in so Jiffy Lube can make money. That's it.

I've gone 15k+ on Amsoil in my 99 with nothing more than one filter change at 8k. Blackstone said I could go 17k+........I went nearly 14 on Amsoil in my 94 on ONE filter and everything from an engine standpoint was just fine, but the viscosity had increased to 15W/40. These cars had similar driving conditions, and illustrated the importance of changing a filter at the HALFWAY point of your extended drain interval. Whether it be on time (one year/6months) like I do it or mileage (15k on oil would mean filter change at 7.5k).

Amsoil filters, Mobile 1 filters, Nissan OEM filters, and Castrol filters were used in those analyses. I'm sorry if everyone on the planet hasn't participated, but the numbers are compared to Blackstone's database of similar vehicles at the AVERAGE miles those vehicles went on oil, which is usually much less than what many vehicles in our spreadsheet did. In other words, our vehicles average more miles and yet still come in at or below wear levels with vehicles in Blackstone's database.
Old 02-05-2002, 08:39 AM

The easiest thing to do is match your driving conditions to those members who have participated. The people with a brain around here insist on a MINIMUM of 5k miles on dino oil and 7.5k on synthetics with NO filter changes.
I agree with your assessment that changing every 3K is absurd, that mileage interval has been around for 50 years or more probably and oils have gotten better and cars are made to tighter tolerances, however, no one really wants to experiment with their own car.

I've seen a lot of experiments that were run that have a sample size several orders of magnitude greater than the one posted on this forum, however most of them involve running engines full time at constant RPM in a lab, which has nothing to do with real world stop/go, hot/cold, moisture blowby etc... I've also read of an experiment involving new york cabs where a cab went 60K with synthetic in one year without a change and showed less wear than one changed every 3K. So, whats the happy medium for our cars that will treat the engine in the best possible way? Of course I don't expect an answer to that.

Now, all that aside, not all filters are made the same. If someone tells me to use a fram filter with Synthetic and change halfway through, I'll smack them and use a K&N because a fram is a piece of crap, I think there is as much a difference in filter quality as in oil.

What does anyone think of using Amsoil 0w30 with K&N oil filter? Everything I've read tells me that their 0w30 is better than their 5w30 or redlines 5w30... agree?? Disagree?? Want me to shut up??
The max is a 97SE with 56K driven in Colorado, parked outside (sad I know but only so much garage space) with a 30/70 mix of city/highway. Its been babied all its life (except for being parked outdoors which is why I am thinking of the 0w30, I feel its pain in those hard cold starts).
Old 02-05-2002, 09:09 AM

I agree with your assessment that changing every 3K is absurd, that mileage interval has been around for 50 years or more probably and oils have gotten better and cars are made to tighter tolerances, however, no one really wants to experiment with their own car.

I've seen a lot of experiments that were run that have a sample size several orders of magnitude greater than the one posted on this forum, however most of them involve running engines full time at constant RPM in a lab, which has nothing to do with real world stop/go, hot/cold, moisture blowby etc... I've also read of an experiment involving new york cabs where a cab went 60K with synthetic in one year without a change and showed less wear than one changed every 3K. So, whats the happy medium for our cars that will treat the engine in the best possible way? Of course I don't expect an answer to that.

Now, all that aside, not all filters are made the same. If someone tells me to use a fram filter with Synthetic and change halfway through, I'll smack them and use a K&N because a fram is a piece of crap, I think there is as much a difference in filter quality as in oil.

What does anyone think of using Amsoil 0w30 with K&N oil filter? Everything I've read tells me that their 0w30 is better than their 5w30 or redlines 5w30... agree?? Disagree?? Want me to shut up??
The max is a 97SE with 56K driven in Colorado, parked outside (sad I know but only so much garage space) with a 30/70 mix of city/highway. Its been babied all its life (except for being parked outdoors which is why I am thinking of the 0w30, I feel its pain in those hard cold starts).
The only oil filters I recommend ranked in order are:

Amsoil (i.e. Baldwin and a.k.a. Hastings)
Mobile 1
Nissan OEM
Purolator (not the PureONE filter, just the regular one)

I don't want to shut you up, and am encouraged that you are presenting yourself very well and respectful of what's been done already. 95% of these questions regarding oil/filters are not like this.

I would agree that 0W-30 is your best bet given your driving conditions, and would recommend you use Redline or Amsoil synthetic. I'm not that high on Mobile 1's "new" Tri-synthetic as the change in their additives reflect and bending over to car makers, etc. rather than making the best additives for an engine. But that discussion is a whole other thread.

Both Amsoil and Redline are good. Both factions will tell you the other one "sucks" compared to theirs because of BLAH BLAH BLAH. Most of that is just doublespeak. I recommend Amsoil because I use it and we don't have any Maximas that are analyzed using Redline.

I would go with a Amsoil or Mobile 1 oil filter, and change it at 6 months and change the oil every year based on your driving habit description.

I also encourage you to participate in the Oil Analysis, as we don't really have anyone in the midwest yet.......
Old 02-05-2002, 09:14 AM

I've gone 15k+ on Amsoil in my 99 with nothing more than one filter change at 8k. Blackstone said I could go 17k+........I went nearly 14 on Amsoil in my 94 on ONE filter and everything from an engine standpoint was just fine, but the viscosity had increased to 15W/40. These cars had similar driving conditions, and illustrated the importance of changing a filter at the HALFWAY point of your extended drain interval. Whether it be on time (one year/6months) like I do it or mileage (15k on oil would mean filter change at 7.5k).
Wow. I never really considered going quite that long without an oil change. I mean I go about 5K but you actually throw an extra 10 on top of that. I thought the only one who went that long was my dad.

SuDZ
Old 02-05-2002, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by SuDZ

Wow. I never really considered going quite that long without an oil change. I mean I go about 5K but you actually throw an extra 10 on top of that. I thought the only one who went that long was my dad.

SuDZ

Once a year oil changes are wonderful.

And the environmentalists will like you more.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:11 AM

Once a year oil changes are wonderful.
And the environmentalists will like you more.
I think I will participate in the oil analysis, I'm going to switch my max and my Z over to synthetic. I use the amsoil 0w30 and probably a mobil1 filter but I may still go with the K&N simply because i am so impressed with their air filters. Maybe I will even send an analysis of the oil (dino) currently in both cars for comparo.

I'm also going to go with redlines MTF because I've heard good things about it removing the cold morning clunk in the shifts, I don't think Amsoil made a MTF, I'll use their MT-90 stuff and keep everyone posted.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:17 AM

I think I will participate in the oil analysis, I'm going to switch my max and my Z over to synthetic. I use the amsoil 0w30 and probably a mobil1 filter but I may still go with the K&N simply because i am so impressed with their air filters. Maybe I will even send an analysis of the oil (dino) currently in both cars for comparo.

I'm also going to go with redlines MTF because I've heard good things about it removing the cold morning clunk in the shifts, I don't think Amsoil made a MTF, I'll use their MT-90 stuff and keep everyone posted.
Sounds good! I look forward to an e-mail with your results in the future.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:31 AM

Eric,

Going extended drain intervals on one filter isn't necessarily wise based upon the Oil Analysis spreadsheet results, which can show a much shorter filter life depending on driving conditions.

sarmast,

I was not advocating 15k filter change intervals, although I would not be surprised if the OEM filter (which is very well made) lasted that long. The owners manual recommends filter changes every 7.5k, and I would stick with that.

Personally, and you will hate me for this, I change my oil every 5000 miles and I use Mobil One 5w30 and Nissan OEM filters. I justify the frequency because I commute to and from school, which is usually a 2-3 mile drive in sub 40 degree temps. So I figure that's equivalent to at least twice that many miles with all freeway driving.

As for 15k change intervals, I suppose it is fine if you believe in the oil you are using. Personally if I am going to remove the oil filter, I will probably change the oil at the same time since I'll be crawling under the car anyways. But if you wanna go gung ho and do 15k, well, go for it. Audi, Volvo, BMW, and Mercedes all specify 15k intervals on their synthetic oils now (Mobil One usually).
Old 02-05-2002, 01:44 PM

Audi, Volvo, BMW, and Mercedes all specify 15k intervals on their synthetic oils now (Mobil One usually).
Jiffy Lube isnt going to like that. There goes maybe 5 oil changes for them at 30 bucks a piece means when people stop going every 3k they lose about 150 per person. Ouch.

SuDZ
Old 02-05-2002, 02:10 PM

I was not advocating 15k filter change intervals, although I would not be surprised if the OEM filter (which is very well made) lasted that long. The owners manual recommends filter changes every 7.5k, and I would stick with that.

Personally, and you will hate me for this, I change my oil every 5000 miles and I use Mobil One 5w30 and Nissan OEM filters. I justify the frequency because I commute to and from school, which is usually a 2-3 mile drive in sub 40 degree temps. So I figure that's equivalent to at least twice that many miles with all freeway driving.

As for 15k change intervals, I suppose it is fine if you believe in the oil you are using. Personally if I am going to remove the oil filter, I will probably change the oil at the same time since I'll be crawling under the car anyways. But if you wanna go gung ho and do 15k, well, go for it. Audi, Volvo, BMW, and Mercedes all specify 15k intervals on their synthetic oils now (Mobil One usually).
Eric,

Based on your driving conditions, your oil change habits aren't unreasonable. The cold temps justify the use of synthetic. I would say 6 month or 7,500 mile changes would get the most bang for your buck since you aren't changing filters though......

The oil filter change issue I think is irrelevant with the VQ and VG engines. You barely get your hands dirty with either one, which makes filter changing at the 6 month much more palatable to me.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ

Jiffy Lube isnt going to like that. There goes maybe 5 oil changes for them at 30 bucks a piece means when people stop going every 3k they lose about 150 per person. Ouch.

SuDZ
In fact, that's how BMW and Audi justify their "maintenance included" deals when you buy a new car. Basically, I think they have maintenance free for the first two years or 30,000 miles whichever comes first. So, with oil changes every 15k miles, 30,000 miles worth of maintenance ends up being:

2 oil changes with filter and one air filter change

That's it. Most manufacturers don't specify any other fluid changes such as coolant or ATF until 60k.

Lincoln also has a maintenance contract included with their new cars, but specify oil changes every 5k miles, but my guess is that the price is built into the price of the car so the dealer makes money either way.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:26 PM

The oil filter change issue I think is irrelevant with the VQ and VG engines. You barely get your hands dirty with either one, which makes filter changing at the 6 month much more palatable to me.
Bill,
How much oil do you lose generally when you change the filter without changing the oil? I've never just changed the filter, but when I do them both at the same time I always fill the filter with oil, is that about the right amount?
Old 02-05-2002, 05:11 PM

Bill,
How much oil do you lose generally when you change the filter without changing the oil? I've never just changed the filter, but when I do them both at the same time I always fill the filter with oil, is that about the right amount?
I'm not Bill, but you're not going to lose any more than what the filter can hold. You'll probably end up using around 1/2 quart to top off the system, if that much.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:30 PM

iwannabmw is right.....the Maxima filter is so small, it's no more than 1/2 a quart......
Old 02-05-2002, 07:56 PM

Amsoil 0w-30 is excellent! I presently have 8,533 miles on my oil. I literally feather my gas pedal. 99% of my driving is on the highway (avg 1,000-1,300 miles per wk). I check it once a week, it has been both clean,clear (original color), and grit free. I use Amsoil's oil filter in conjuction with their oil always! They just have excellent products! 96SE Auto 162,800 miles Amsoil 0w-30,Amsoil SDF O.F.,Amsoil Air filter (foam),Amsoil ATF, Redline's "Water Wetter" Dunlop SP Sport 5000's
Old 02-05-2002, 09:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Pure One?

Hey Bill, why don't you recommend the Purolator Pure One? Is it the filter media density?

Just wondering because I have one sitting in my basement awaiting use....
Old 02-06-2002, 06:08 AM

Bman Purolator's pureone is much more restrictive flow wise versus their regular purolator premium filter. An overly restrictive oil filter is not a good thing!
Old 02-06-2002, 06:26 AM

Re: Pure One?

Originally posted by Bman
Hey Bill, why don't you recommend the Purolator Pure One? Is it the filter media density?

Just wondering because I have one sitting in my basement awaiting use....
Steve's post above is absolutely right and something I failed to consider when I made my initial recommendations last year. The media is too dense by most accounts and tries to filter TOO much, therefore causing more "oil starvation" under most conditions than is desired.
Old 02-06-2002, 02:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Oh great! So you're saying I shouldn't use it even though 99% of my driving is under 3000 rpm?

....I just wanted the cleanest filter!

Who makes the Nissan OEM btw?
Old 02-06-2002, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Bman
Oh great! So you're saying I shouldn't use it even though 99% of my driving is under 3000 rpm?

....I just wanted the cleanest filter!

Who makes the Nissan OEM btw?
I am sure that using that filter won't do ANY damage to your car, even if you used only that filter for life. I mean there are thousand (millions?) of cars that run around on fram (spelled backwards is marf, which is greek for piece of **** and rhymes with barf) but if you want the absolute anally retentive best then...
Old 02-06-2002, 11:27 PM

I used Castrol GTX oil and when I changed it at 3.5K miles
the oil was dirty as heck!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2002, 05:27 AM

Originally posted by kit99bar

Yes, and we all know that's a sure sign that you shouldn't go more than 3k on oil........
Old 02-07-2002, 05:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i get my done every 3000 miles or 3 months at the dealer. but i get them for free so it doesn't matter to me..
Old 02-17-2002, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by kit99bar

The color of the oil has little to do with its ability to protect. As long as you are not getting glops, chunks, and lumps coming from your oil pan, the oil should be fine if you change with normal oil every 5000 miles, and synthetic every 7500 miles.
Old 02-17-2002, 12:44 PM

I have a 96 with 108,000 miles and live in Fl where its usually 80 degrees plus, I dont drive hard or race so which oil and filter do you recommend ? Should I go synthetic or not. I usually change the oil & filter between 7500-8500 miles.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:48 AM

oil you should use and filter

The color of the oil has little to do with its ability to protect. As long as you are not getting glops, chunks, and lumps coming from your oil pan, the oil should be fine if you change with normal oil every 5000 miles, and synthetic every 7500 miles.

You should use amsoil 10w-40 and sdf filter by amsoil or mobil 1 filter