4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

KYB AGX with stock parts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 09:19 PM
Granny Driven

KYB AGX with stock parts?

I will be getting B&G springs and KYB_AGX struts/shocks. I did read all the stickies and search function. What are the main things needed to be replaced with the shocks strut assembly, strut boot etc...Reply only if you have done it or know for sure. I will be using Nissan parts. Thank you.
Old 02-07-2002, 01:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I did it, and I didn't replace anything.. I just used some wire loom from home depot.. Then again, my suspension is now making noises. Just make sure the bottom 2 coils and the top 3 coils on the front springs are wrapped in either wire loom or something else... People also say to replace the 2 front strut bearings, but mine were in pretty good shape.. The only other thing that should have been replaced on my car was the dust boots, you should look at your strut/spring assembly and see if they look shredded. Oh yeah and my car has 68k miles on it.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:00 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You want the job done right the first time correct? Here's the deal.

Look at your current suspension to determine if you need new dust covers. BOTH front and rear assemblies. If you need them add them to this list.

Isolator sleeves (IMPORTANT) 3 on each spring up front. Two of them are on the lower coils, a thick black one is on the first coil which sits on the strut spring perch, then 2 grey light weight ones, one of which goes on the second coil up from the bottom and one on the very top coil.

Isolator sleeves for the rear, Nissan only calls out one, it's a thick black one that goes on the lower coil which sits on the shocks spring perch. I'd get 2 because your using lower springs and put one on the top coil as well just to be safe.

Those are the most important things to put on your springs to keep them nice and quiet.

The rear assembly also has two rubber bushings up top, they tend to get a little compressed over time so you may need them as well. They sort of make a sandwich that the top mount sits in. You'll see it in the exploded view at your dealer. Two round bushings about the size of a 1/2 dollar.

Next you may need strut bearings up front. There only 20 bucks each and it's not a bad idea to just replace them after you have the assembly apart.

The only other rubber that wares down is the upper spring mount perch. There usually in good shape but check to see if they have been worn down to the point that you can see the top perch exposed. Metal to metal contact is not good. They usually ware righ where the end of the spring sits. Sometimes you can just rotate them 180 deg. and be OK.

With all the above taken into consideration, you should have a PERFECT ride when your done with no noise. Actually you may notice your car rides quieter after that suspension tune up! Mine sure did.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I replaced nothing else and mine are still fine. I guess it depends on the condition that your current parts are in more than just saying replace A,B,C.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:51 PM
Granny Driven

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
You want the job done right the first time correct? Here's the deal.

Isolator sleeves (IMPORTANT) 3 on each spring up front. Two of them are on the lower coils, a thick black one is on the first coil which sits on the strut spring perch, then 2 grey light weight ones, one of which goes on the second coil up from the bottom and one on the very top coil.

Isolator sleeves for the rear, Nissan only calls out one, it's a thick black one that goes on the lower coil which sits on the shocks spring perch. I'd get 2 because your using lower springs and put one on the top coil as well just to be safe.

Isolator sleves is the tape looking item that isolates the coils from hitting each other and making the "clunk" noise. Are these available at the dealer? Thank you.
Old 02-09-2002, 10:18 AM
Granny Driven

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA

Isolator sleves is the tape looking item that isolates the coils from hitting each other and making the "clunk" noise. Are these available at the dealer? Thank you.