4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Value of a Stillen catback exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 07:34 PM

Value of a Stillen catback exhaust?

I'm about to part ways with my '99 Maxima, and it has an original Stillen catback exhaust on it. I bought it in mint condition many many years ago for around $600 IIRC. Wondering if these rare Stillen exhausts still command a premium, in which case I'd have it taken off the car to sell it separately. Or has it lost its value over the years and isn't worth the hassle (I'd have to pay for a basic catback replacement)? I searched the FS section, but didn't see any recent listings (4+ hrs) for Stillen exhausts in the 4th Gen FS section. Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA!
Old 02-10-2021, 07:49 PM

[QUOTE=FDNewbie;9234110]I'm about to part ways with my '99 Maxima, and it has an original Stillen catback exhaust on it. I bought it in mint condition many many years ago for around $600 IIRC. Wondering if these rare Stillen exhausts still command a premium, in which case I'd have it taken off the car to sell it separately. Or has it lost its value over the years and isn't worth the hassle (I'd have to pay for a basic catback replacement)? I searched the FS section, but didn't see any recent listings (4+ hrs) for Stillen exhausts in the 4th Gen FS section. Any advice would be appreciated.

I would buy it
Old 02-10-2021, 10:42 PM

i would leave it on the car if your selling it, just mention it in the list of mods the you have done and it will add some more interest to someone looking to buy it.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
i would leave it on the car if your selling it, just mention it in the list of mods the you have done and it will add some more interest to someone looking to buy it.
Car is already spoken for. They have no particular in the exhaust (whether included or not). So I'm just trying to gauge if it's worth removing to sell (and to replace with a basic catback muffler) if it still holds decent value.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:05 AM

Just put it up for sale at the price you think you should get and see what happens.

Adjust your price based on the response you get ... or don’t get.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:58 PM

Take it off and List it for sale, esp if the next Owner has no Interest. Its worth a Few Bills depending on condition. A cheap exhaust can be found on amazon or ebay even for under 200 that bolts right up. It will sell quickly.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:40 PM

Sell it for how much? Seriously?

Where has it been? Salt and snow?

Then spending how much to replace it and the labor? To net how much?

Are things that tight so much work for a few bucks the hard way are even worth it?

I don't get it/ It owes you nothing! Exhaust work always sucks and rarely what gets removed is in sell able shape. Have you even gotten under the car and evaluated what you really have to work with?
Old 02-12-2021, 08:27 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Their B pipe is un resonated, made of 2 pieces clamped together which is hard to separate, and rather small at 2.25". Might not be worth it.

The muffler could be removed much easier and there is always some guy wanting a shiny fart pipe.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by KP11520
Sell it for how much? Seriously?

Where has it been? Salt and snow?

Then spending how much to replace it and the labor? To net how much?

Are things that tight so much work for a few bucks the hard way are even worth it?

I don't get it/ It owes you nothing! Exhaust work always sucks and rarely what gets removed is in sell able shape. Have you even gotten under the car and evaluated what you really have to work with?
Originally Posted by JSutter
Their B pipe is un resonated, made of 2 pieces clamped together which is hard to separate, and rather small at 2.25". Might not be worth it.

The muffler could be removed much easier and there is always some guy wanting a shiny fart pipe.
You guys hit the nail on the head. Had a Stillen catback in excellent condition, didn't care for it (too much rasp), sold it. Never looked back.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
You guys hit the nail on the head. Had a Stillen catback in excellent condition, didn't care for it (too much rasp), sold it. Never looked back.
I strongly disagree. Not raspy at all; in fact, it's got a beautiful low throaty tone, definitely noticeable, but not over the top, too loud, raspy, or with an annoying drone. So much so, it's been on this Maxima, which has been my mom's daily driver, for nearly a decade.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by FDNewbie
I strongly disagree. Not raspy at all; in fact, it's got a beautiful low throaty tone, definitely noticeable, but not over the top, too loud, raspy, or with an annoying drone. So much so, it's been on this Maxima, which has been my mom's daily driver, for nearly a decade.
First, sound is very subjective. Second, was this coupled with OEM ypipe or aftermarket? Mine was coupled with Stillen y-pipe at first, then Cattman.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:36 PM

First, sound is very subjective. Second, was this coupled with OEM ypipe or aftermarket? Mine was coupled with Stillen y-pipe at first, then Cattman.
Yes...if something sounds nice or not is subjective. But I don't think anyone would consider this exhaust raspy at all. Having said that, this is on the OEM Y-pipe. Just the catback is aftermarket.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Yes...if something sounds nice or not is subjective. But I don't think anyone would consider this exhaust raspy at all. Having said that, this is on the OEM Y-pipe. Just the catback is aftermarket.
Figured you would say that. Sounds very different with aftermarket y-pipe.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:37 PM

Meh more of just a name sake for someone wanting Nostalgia and not to make power. Tough to put a price on someone's feelings.

I'd keep it on the car.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:04 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Cat backs sound great with the stock Y.

Figured you would say that. Sounds very different with aftermarket y-pipe.
Unequal length Y's sound like garbage no matter what.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter
Cat backs sound great with the stock Y.

Unequal length Y's sound like garbage no matter what.
Personally, I’m in agreement here.

My Warpspeed Y is coming out and my OE Y/mid-pipe is going back in.

Not only has the sound worn on me, the performance, for my driving style, isn’t what it was with the OE mid-pipe in place.