4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: Buy 95' GXE with alloys, 10CD/Changer, and 93K miles for $5500?
DUDE, GET IT!!!
77.78%
Nah, don't waste your money..get an SE.
22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

1995 GXE vs. SE ...What's the differences?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 07:19 AM
pilotman28

1995 GXE vs. SE ...What's the differences?

I'm looking to buy a Maxima 4th Gen. I want an SE but I can't afford it I don't think. However, I can afford a GXE with a 5-speed. I know that GXEs don't have the Moonroof, Wing, and the Alloy wheels; but what else are the differences? Are there any differences with the engine or the suspension? Cause I know I can get a spoiler for around $200, and maybe if I'm luckly later get a Moonroof installed; as long as the roof isn't too thin.

So what are the major differences besides the ones listed above guys(and girls)?!

Pilotman28

Old 02-07-2002, 07:46 AM
Lifetime Maxer

Re: 1995 GXE vs. SE ...What's the differences?

Originally posted by pilotman28
I'm looking to buy a Maxima 4th Gen. I want an SE but I can't afford it I don't think. However, I can afford a GXE with a 5-speed. I know that GXEs don't have the Moonroof, Wing, and the Alloy wheels; but what else are the differences? Are there any differences with the engine or the suspension? Cause I know I can get a spoiler for around $200, and maybe if I'm luckly later get a Moonroof installed; as long as the roof isn't too thin.

So what are the major differences besides the ones listed above guys(and girls)?!

Pilotman28
There are only a couple other differences - an SE suspension is a little firmer, SEs come with fog lights, better cloth seats (if they're not leather) and white-faced guages. That's about all..
Chad
Old 02-07-2002, 09:53 AM
Sports Button FTW

THAT is what I don't understand

Here's the deal, I got a 95 maxima and it doesn't say GLE on the back, but i'm the second owner and I got so many things on it that show it's a GLE, I remember seeing somewhere that it was a GLe but just so u guys know...

my car has

rims, not alloys
sunroof
leather
ABS
automatic (i don't think GLE's come in stick since auto is a luxury )
front seat heaters
electric driver seat

Now, my car has all this but no dam fog lights...what the hell?! why does SE come wit fogs and GLE (if that's what I got) doesn't?

All this time I thought I had a GLE until someone told me that they can and HAVE a GXE wit the same exact features except rims, ABS, and I THINK leather...but can any of you tell me what I got? I doubt the person who had the car before me put all these customized stuff on it, but wanna make sure
Old 02-07-2002, 10:44 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

ABS was an option on all trim levels for 95. If you have fake wood dash trim, it's GLE. If your A pillar trim is fuzzy and not hard plstic, GLE. If you have a pop out drawer below your radio instead ofa flip down pocket, GLE.

If your car is slow, GLE.
Old 02-07-2002, 11:19 AM

deal

well what i was always told was that the suspensions a lil diff you will get the bose system the white faced gauges spoiler and alloy wheels and fog lights. you will also have the optin of five speed. to me 55 for a 95 is not that bad i mean i paid 5500 for my 96 se and the damn thing is in mint and i mean mint condition some rich guy owned it and needed to sell it to get his NSX you believe he goes from a max to a NSX he had all 2002 suv's like danalies expidition and navigator. but other wise back to the topic 5500 is a good deal but me personally i would only get se thats the only maximas i have owened and i owned 3.
dibo
Old 02-07-2002, 11:32 AM

Pilotman28
~ 96 SE /// u wanna know wha the difference is...i can hit 140 with no problem ...n u cant .... hahahaha ....

u Got a limiter !!!

Old 02-07-2002, 01:48 PM

Re: THAT is what I don't understand

the 95 maximas didnt have the GXE, GLE, SE indicator on the back of the car

Originally posted by meccanoble
Here's the deal, I got a 95 maxima and it doesn't say GLE on the back, but i'm the second owner and I got so many things on it that show it's a GLE, I remember seeing somewhere that it was a GLe but just so u guys know...

my car has

rims, not alloys
sunroof
leather
ABS
automatic (i don't think GLE's come in stick since auto is a luxury )
front seat heaters
electric driver seat

Now, my car has all this but no dam fog lights...what the hell?! why does SE come wit fogs and GLE (if that's what I got) doesn't?

All this time I thought I had a GLE until someone told me that they can and HAVE a GXE wit the same exact features except rims, ABS, and I THINK leather...but can any of you tell me what I got? I doubt the person who had the car before me put all these customized stuff on it, but wanna make sure
Old 02-07-2002, 02:12 PM

my 96 gxe has every option (leather, spoiler etc) but sunroof/fog lights.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:13 PM

My 95 GXE Maxima came with the moonroof, spoiler, and the alloy rims. Some GXE's didn't have the limiter from what I've gathered. I think it depends on whether or not you have the Comfort & Convienence package with it (cruise control, remote keyless entry, etc.) because that package came with upgraded tires. The limiter was on the most basic GXE's because the tires were cheap.
Fogs are like a $200 add-on also if you have the C&C package (because the wiring is there if you have the packsge).

The only other difference I can think of (besides what everyone else mentioned), are the window trim and door handles. Only the SE has those things matching the car body. The GXE and GLE are chrome (or gold if you got the gold package)

All of this comes from memory, so I'm not 100% sure on the stuff I mentioned in the beginning. But I am sure about the door handle/window trim thing.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:21 PM

Pilotman28
u should talk to clee130 ... he got a gxe or gle i think ... with a pop charger...n his car flies ...... we all maxed out around 135 -140

Old 02-07-2002, 11:02 PM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

My 95 max se has everything like a gle except the liquid engine mounts, fuzzy pillars, and wood trim, I believe. I have seen gxe's that are pretty fully equipped so I look for the white gauges and body color door handles that distinguish the SE from the other trim levels. I know they can be replicated but what else can you look at exteriorly to distingish between the two?
Old 02-07-2002, 11:05 PM
SLOW

Re: Re: THAT is what I don't understand

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
the 95 maximas didnt have the GXE, GLE, SE indicator on the back of the car

My god he actually posted something informative. This is a step in the right direction.