4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Whistling Climate control?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 06:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Whistling Climate control?

Hey All,

I have a 98 with Digital climate Control- I noticed lately that when the heat is on I hear a whistling- When I turn the climate control off it goes away, so clearly it is only occuring when the fan is on- I don't hear the whistling sound(almost like a loose bearing?) when the fan setting is on the 3rd and 4th level, meaning the more powerful fan settings?

anyone ever encounter this problem- It's really annoying!

Thanks for any help

MikeyMike
Old 02-13-2002, 06:48 AM
Lifetime Maxer

Re: Whistling Climate control?

Originally posted by MikeyMike
Hey All,

I have a 98 with Digital climate Control- I noticed lately that when the heat is on I hear a whistling- When I turn the climate control off it goes away, so clearly it is only occuring when the fan is on- I don't hear the whistling sound(almost like a loose bearing?) when the fan setting is on the 3rd and 4th level, meaning the more powerful fan settings?

Thanks for any help

MikeyMike
Hey,

I've had 2 Maximas (both 4th gen ones) and the fans have squeaked/whistled a little on both of them. It only makes the sounds loud enough to be annoying on fan speed 1, but makes it very slightly on fan setting 2 as well. Since I've noticed it on both Maximas, I have always assumed its normal. I doubt there's any way to get to the fan in there and quiet it down. It's never affected performance in any way...
Hope this helps - Chad
Old 02-13-2002, 06:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Whistling Climate control?

Originally posted by maximachad

Exactly, Fan speed 1, really annoying-fan speed 2 not as bad-
Something must have gotten loose somewhere- I hope there is a fix
thanks for the input- At least i know I am not going crazy

Hey,

I've had 2 Maximas (both 4th gen ones) and the fans have squeaked/whistled a little on both of them. It only makes the sounds loud enough to be annoying on fan speed 1, but makes it very slightly on fan setting 2 as well. Since I've noticed it on both Maximas, I have always assumed its normal. I doubt there's any way to get to the fan in there and quiet it down. It's never affected performance in any way...
Hope this helps - Chad
Old 02-13-2002, 07:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I guess I'm lucky, then. My climate control blower works very quietly, unit I get to fan speed 3 or 4, but that noise is just due to flow.

DW
Old 02-13-2002, 09:25 AM

Hey All,

Yep. And not just in my car. It almost sounds like there's something stuck in the blower or it's slightly out of balance. Just enough to make noise at low speeds but not at high ones. I just learned to ignore it.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:27 AM

Trace the sound and oil the cause.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:43 AM

Or ask it to whistle a different tune, like dixie or something
Old 02-13-2002, 10:18 AM

Hey All,

Thanks for any help

MikeyMike
My 99 GLE had this problem. I noticed it when I was test driving, before purchase, and worked the repair into the deal. They had to replace something, not sure exactly what it was, but there's a TSB out for this so you should go look that up.
Old 03-05-2002, 08:37 AM

Re: Re: Whistling Climate control?

Originally posted by Yossarian

My 99 GLE had this problem. I noticed it when I was test driving, before purchase, and worked the repair into the deal. They had to replace something, not sure exactly what it was, but there's a TSB out for this so you should go look that up.
Ok, I just bought a subscription to the Maxima TSBs (at alldatadiy.com), so now I have data for anyone wanting to fix this.

The TSB for this problem is NTB99-071A. Basically, all the TSB says is to install a new blower motor cover, which is part number 27227-0E002. That's if your climate control makes a light ticking or humming noise while on fan speed 1 or 2. If there's a loud rattle, clatter, jolt, or flap, then you probably just need to clean the blower case.

If anyone wants a copy of the TSB itself, e-mail me at bodziana@hushmail.com and I'll see what I can do.