4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

For those with Knock Sensor troubles...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 10:23 PM

For those with Knock Sensor troubles...

I am SO confused as to why my car didnt bring up a CEL to tell me that my KS is bad! WHY is this the only thing that doesnt set off the light but stores a code? It seems to hamper driving performance MUCH more than say, a stuck evap cvcv does (which DOES bring up a light).

Also, why are so many people experiencing the 0304 code? To those who DO have the code (and may even have replaced the KS), have you EVER, EVER used ANYTHING less than 91 octane in the car?

Finally, using 87 in the car continuously will retard timing and will cause more wear and tear on the engine. When the KS goes bad, the car will behave as if it were running on 87 even if 91 or above is filled. Therefore, if people are driving around with no codes and dont realize the KS is bad, isnt this unnecessary wear and tear on the car that goes unnoticed and shortens the life of the car? I am truly baffled...
Old 02-19-2002, 11:09 PM
Keven97SE

Retarded ignition timing does not cause any wear on the engine. It causes a power loss, sure, but no damage to the engine. Now knock will damage the engine. If you have a faulty knock sensor that is incorrectly detecting knock, you're losing power but the engine isn't being damaged.

Just though I'd clarify.

Old 02-19-2002, 11:20 PM

that makes sense...does using 87 seriously damage the KS though?? Anybody have pics of the actual unit...i saw some pics in another thread but respondents noted that the pics were of the incorrect part! I lost my subscription to an online FSM.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by Stillen_I30
that makes sense...does using 87 seriously damage the KS though?? Anybody have pics of the actual unit...i saw some pics in another thread but respondents noted that the pics were of the incorrect part! I lost my subscription to an online FSM.
I recently had trouble with the check engine light and relative loss of power and bad mileage (always have used 93 octane on my 95 Max GLE). The codes came back 0304 (knock sensor) and the EGR solenoid valve. I only changed the EGR solenoid valve (because the knock sensor was difficult to get to) and erased the codes and the check engine light went away and when I later pulled out codes it gave me the 0505 (no codes detected). Anyway since I had already purchased the knock sensor I decided to give it a try this weekend. Its a ***** to change, but it can be done, specially if you or a friend has small hands. Sorry I dont have pics. The initial results have been spectacular in terms of power and I am waiting to see how my mileage reacts. The knock sensor is situated under the manifold and can be seen if you look under the manifold from the left side of the car. Its the only thing connected to a wire under the manifold. A No. 12 wrench is needed to loosen the bolt that secures it on the engine block. After taking the bolt off you can pull out the sensor and replace it. The tricky part is tightening the bolt. A dealer had told me the manifold had to come off to change the knock sensor quoting $500 for labor (plus $175 for the knock sensor). I said no way and am glad I was able to pull it off (with the help of my 14 year old son and his small hands!!). Good luck.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Will it always throw a code when it goes bad?
Old 02-20-2002, 01:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally posted by MadMax95

Old 02-20-2002, 02:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well maybe the knock sensors get week at old age and stop performing up to standard...If yours didnt throw any error codes for the k/s 0304 then that must mean it might get weak through time...
How many miles you have on your car ?? Do you rarely drive it hard or alot ??
Old 02-20-2002, 02:41 PM

The worst part about the knock sensors is I have been told you cant really give them a visual inspection to see if they are still good. I guess old worn ones look the same as new ones.

SuDZ
Old 02-20-2002, 02:44 PM

anybody have any info on the corrosion of the KS connector, and the TSB that supports this problem? My warranty went out june of last year, woudl I end up paying the labor to get this covered by the TSB (assuming the connecting harness is the problem and not the KS itself). I read about the TSB in another post, and also read about how some others on the org have went to change their KS and realized the harness connector should also be changed.
Old 02-20-2002, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Stillen_I30
anybody have any info on the corrosion of the KS connector, and the TSB that supports this problem? My warranty went out june of last year, woudl I end up paying the labor to get this covered by the TSB (assuming the connecting harness is the problem and not the KS itself). I read about the TSB in another post, and also read about how some others on the org have went to change their KS and realized the harness connector should also be changed.
How could they tell that the connector needed to be chaged? Was it the cabling or justthe actual piece that connects on the end?

SuDZ
Old 02-20-2002, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by MadMax95
Not always. I believe it does not always trip the check engine light when faulty so you may not know if something is wrong with the KS unless you pull the codes even though the CEL is off. My CEL was on and gave me the KS code plus the EGR solenoid valve code. After only changing the EGR solenoid the CEL went off and both codes were erased. I changed the KS anyway and the performance enhancement has been tremendous.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:41 PM

how much is a knock sensor
Old 02-20-2002, 07:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

We are lucky that the KS on the maxima is pretty easy to change out, on the 90-96 300Z's the easiest way to change out the KS is to remove the engine. The KS for the maxima is pretty easy to change out, if you have small hands then it will be pretty easy, but if you have big hands like me then be prepared to have your hands get all cut up, skinned, bloody, etc. but it will be worth it, cuz your ca with the KS going bad and tripping the ECu code on is actually running the timing retarded sort of like a LIMP HOME MODE, and their is a power difference. Save the money and change it out yourself, you will be cussing and hollering alot but remember YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE INTAKE MANIFOLD !!! Good luck and God Bless.
Old 02-21-2002, 12:20 AM

ok, just ordered a KS tonight for 135 including the shipping. it should be here in a few days. anyone have any pictures/write-ups, or a referral to a site that does have this info...it would definately make it a lot easier to know what to look for...thanks!
Old 02-21-2002, 11:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got a quote for $165 at a local dealer with tax witch brings it to $175...Where did you get if for $135 ??

Old 02-21-2002, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by matty
I got a quote for $165 at a local dealer with tax witch brings it to $175...Where did you get if for $135 ??

try courtesy nissan.

SuDZ
Old 02-21-2002, 01:57 PM

i got mine from nissanparts.cc

also try nissanautoparts.com

with Courtesy, you will have to file a request. Their price will still be very competitive however.