4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Switching Gears and weird noises.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 08:49 AM

Switching Gears and weird noises.

Hi Guys,

I'm a rookie Maxima driver and I need some tips.
I just burned my first full tank of gas and I'm just wondering what kind of RPM range you guys switch. I've been switching pretty much all my gears at 3000 and the fuel economy was pretty crappy.

Secondly, I've noticed the most anoying jolt everytime I take my foot off the gas and then reapply. I've tried being really gentle on the gas pedal and it still does it. It mostly happens in 2 and 3rd. Is this normal.

Lastly, on cold days when I'm starting out of first gear and I slowly release the clutch I hear a kind of whistling sound(it sounds like it coming from the clutch plate). It tends to go away once the car is warm

Comments are aprreciated. Oh yeah it a 99 with about 50K miles on it.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:05 AM

Re: Switching Gears and weird noises.

Originally posted by Toffy
Hi Guys,

I just burned my first full tank of gas and I'm just wondering what kind of RPM range you guys switch. I've been switching pretty much all my gears at 3000 and the fuel economy was pretty crappy.

Secondly, I've noticed the most anoying jolt everytime I take my foot off the gas and then reapply. I've tried being really gentle on the gas pedal and it still does it. It mostly happens in 2 and 3rd. Is this normal.

Lastly, on cold days when I'm starting out of first gear and I slowly release the clutch I hear a kind of whistling sound(it sounds like it coming from the clutch plate). It tends to go away once the car is warm

I've searched around and found the deal with the clutch groan. It seems its a well know problem. Will Nissan do anything to fix this if the cars still under warrantly
Old 02-20-2002, 09:35 AM

Re: Switching Gears and weird noises.

Hi Guys,

I found this better description of the the jolt I'm experiencing except it was for an auto and mines a 5spd.

"while coasting, a LIGHT application of the accelerator and then removing your foot will cause a noticeable "jerk" from front to back"

Any body else get this on 5spds?
Old 02-20-2002, 09:55 AM

Re: Re: Switching Gears and weird noises.

I found this better description of the the jolt I'm experiencing except it was for an auto and mines a 5spd.

"while coasting, a LIGHT application of the accelerator and then removing your foot will cause a noticeable "jerk" from front to back"

Any body else get this on 5spds?
I had this, I adjusted the throttle cable, it had too much slack. Even perfectly adjusted, the car will still do this a little, I think it just the normal driveline in a Maxima.
Old 02-20-2002, 01:19 PM

Re: Re: Switching Gears and weird noises.

I've searched around and found the deal with the clutch groan. It seems its a well know problem. Will Nissan do anything to fix this if the cars still under warrantly
usually in other peoples cases no.

SuDZ