4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

suspension decisions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 10:13 AM

suspension decisions

I have a '97SE with Cattman coilovers, running 375lb. rate springs. I'm no longer autocrossing, and I'm a bit tired of the roughness for daily driving (I do a lot, with 118k on the car). I'm considering going back to a progressive spring with AGX struts. I previously had H&R springs with the stock Tokicos, and hated the setup mostly because the struts were too soft, especially in the rear (it bounced). I figure with the AGX I can dial this in (currently I have Konis, set at 3/4 in the back, soft in front for the street, full hard to race). I know Eibachs are supposed to be harsher than H&R, but would they be softer than the linear coilover springs? I also hear sprints drop lower than regular Eibachs but are harsher. As for other springs, does anyone have experience with Progressive Technology (Cattman sells these) or Intrax (lower and softer than Eibach, but do they handle well? I'm still a pretty hard driver.)

I guess I would sacrifice appearance for handling (the darn coilovers handle on a dime and the drop looks great!) but I'm not sure whether handling (stiffness) is more important to me at this time than ride quality (my gf has something to do with this). My previous experience ( 240Z, MGB, several Alfa Romeos) has told me they don't have to be mutually exclusive; a little body lean and smoothness can handle as well as a harder ride, especially on rough roads, since one can go faster without losing contact.
Old 03-01-2002, 12:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

im thinkin of goin on ground controls with 350 springs all around, what are u daily drivin on(drop wise) so i know when it rilly gets ruff
Old 03-01-2002, 12:18 PM

drop with corner balance

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!
im thinkin of goin on ground controls with 350 springs all around, what are u daily drivin on(drop wise) so i know when it rilly gets ruff
My rears are at 26-3/4". The front right is 26", the front left is 25-7/8". The car was corner balanced to within 1 lb., so the slight drop in the front left shifts some of the weight off the corner with the battery.
Old 03-01-2002, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!
Is that the spring rate that gives a comfortable drive on GC's? I know normally they are stiff.

SuDZ
Old 03-01-2002, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ

Is that the spring rate that gives a comfortable drive on GC's? I know normally they are stiff.

SuDZ
I have the 380lb. Ground Control Eibach springs on the front, 375 Carreras in the rear. The fronts have 7 coils, so there is more space to prevent coil binding. The rears are no problem and have been dialed in from the start. I would not go heavier because it is already stiff enough, but softer would bind the springs (that ruins them). This is a nice coilover setup. I'm just in the mood for a more street friendly ride (or maybe I should say my girlfriend is). This setup will be for sale when I get new stuff on.
Old 03-01-2002, 01:18 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: drop with corner balance

Originally posted by OriginalMadMax
The car was corner balanced to within 1 lb
Damn, I bet that handles like a dream!

I used to have Sprints, but they are too low in my opinion. I now have Eibachs and I am much happier. They handle just as well as the Sprints, but you have twice the wheel travel...
Old 03-01-2002, 02:18 PM

Re: Re: drop with corner balance

Originally posted by mzmtg

Damn, I bet that handles like a dream!

I used to have Sprints, but they are too low in my opinion. I now have Eibachs and I am much happier. They handle just as well as the Sprints, but you have twice the wheel travel...
If I do change suspension and sell the Cattman coilovers, I'll double check measurements so the new owner can match them up as close as possible. The trick seems that raising a corner increases weight/pressure on it, lowering takes it off and shifts it elsewhere.

This car does handle very well. Tire tuning helps. For performance I run 38lbs front, 28lbs rear, which pretty much approximates the % of weight distribution too. I can get the car to oversteer at those pressures, not bad for a FWD

I'm thinking about what you said about wheel travel comparing the Sprints to Eibachs. I'm considering Progressive Technology springs with AGX, but wondered about the same thing. Then again, the guys I know running AGX struts on coilovers go lower than me with the same springs and don't seem to have problems with bottoming. Performance isn't just about drop or stiffness, it's how all the factors interact.

So, are the Eibachs really stiff? Roads around here suck. I think they stopped repairing them about 10 years ago. Having 17" wheels probably doesn't help ride quality either ...