4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Y Pipe Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 09:17 AM

Y Pipe Installation

Okay, I got my Y pipe from WSP on Friday and I plan on taking it to the shop to get it installed tomorrow. Now Dallas from WSP said something about telling the shop to heat up the front of the cat. converter so a bolt doesnt break off or something like that. Can somebody explain this to me in better detail? Thanks.

P.S. I tried calling WSP but its difficult to get in touch with them sometimes.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:56 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Those bolts are usually corroded. It's easier to get them unstuck without beaking them if you heat them up with a torch first. It's common trick. The shop should know what you mean.

Actually, if they dont know what you are talking about when you mention it...take it somewhere else.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am pretty sure he means heat up the nuts on the front of the cat before removing them so the bolts do not break off. They are usually frozen on there and heating the nuts will make them come off easier.

How long did it take to get your Y-pipe? I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago, hope it gets here soon.

Looks like mzmtg beat me to it, already typed it though so I'm posting it
Old 03-04-2002, 10:11 AM

Which one did you order ??
Old 03-04-2002, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by matty
Which one did you order ??
Mandrel bent aluminized.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:34 PM

Shine says

When i got mine put on, they ran water over the 02 sensors to cool them off. The guys said that when the pipe is hot, they can strip on removal. I dont know if this is true, but i didn't want to risk it, and i didnt want to wait for it to cool off. Anyone know if this is true or not?

Shine
Old 03-04-2002, 02:10 PM

I had no problems with mine, just used liquid wrench and they came right off. Also, I would suggest you do the install yourself. It is really very simple, despite what people say. It will save you money and you will learn a lot about your car

DPW
Old 03-04-2002, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by TintDaMax
I had no problems with mine, just used liquid wrench and they came right off. Also, I would suggest you do the install yourself. It is really very simple, despite what people say. It will save you money and you will learn a lot about your car

DPW
After 5 hours of standing up and going under the car and driving over to Pep Boys to get more tools, yep, I learned a lot about my car. Minor cuts and bruises are the only downside...
Old 03-04-2002, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by Anachronism
I am pretty sure he means heat up the nuts on the front of the cat before removing them so the bolts do not break off. They are usually frozen on there and heating the nuts will make them come off easier.

How long did it take to get your Y-pipe? I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago, hope it gets here soon.

Looks like mzmtg beat me to it, already typed it though so I'm posting it
I ordered the pipe Feb. 9 and got it March 1. So it took about 3 weeks.
Old 03-05-2002, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg
Those bolts are usually corroded. It's easier to get them unstuck without beaking them if you heat them up with a torch first. It's common trick. The shop should know what you mean.

Actually, if they dont know what you are talking about when you mention it...take it somewhere else.
Very well said. Take Care
Old 03-05-2002, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg

Okay thanks. I'm taking it to the shop today (because I don't have time to do it myself) so hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to boast about finally having my Y pipe installed!
Old 03-06-2002, 05:55 AM

5 hours? Wow, took me 20 minutes to do the cattman with all the "fitment problems". Little minor bending and tweaking was all. If that muffler shop doesn't know what your talking about, they've got some issues, take it elsewhere. Its a simple job they should what to do. If you're payin more than 10 bucks your gettin hosed, i'd do it for a 12 pack of beer.