4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

is it normal gas ml?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 05:46 PM

is it normal gas ml?

Hi evry one.Sorry for my spelling.
I think something wrong with my gas mil.
I live in Brooklyn NY,it's kind of cold now, so my driving day starts like this : in the morning I worming up my Maxi on till temp. reach the level,then i drive 3 mil. in trafic,stop and go,with the speed 25-35 m p h. some times I turn on the heet.
Then park my car for about 8-9 hours,then the same operation :worming up,trafic,same speed,same 3 mil. then i park my car for about 12-14 hours,then next morning same all .../mon-fri/
On weekends i drive mor in the city trafic, some times go on hwy for coupl of exits,that about it.I drove 12K in 2 years.
So I f.up the tank and now i see needl is allmoust in the midl and i drove about 90mil.
My friend at the repair station told me:for that kind of wether and that kinde of driving it's normal.
My spark plags r new it's only 12K/2 years/ on them.
So i think i m getting about 200-225 mil. on tank.
Is it normal?
THANK YOU AND HAVE A NICE DAY!

Old 03-18-2002, 07:39 PM

Re: is it normal gas ml?

200 is kinda low for gas mileage, but it could be because your car sits warming up for a while each day...i'm not too sure...i don't usually wait to warm my car up too much, i let it sit for about a minute then i start driving, feathering the pedal and not pushing the car too hard and letting it warm up that way...i don't really know if this is not good for my max, but i don't really have the time nor patience to let it sit for a while
Old 03-18-2002, 10:29 PM

Sergey, I have same driving pattern as yours. I drive about 5-6k miles per year and get 190-210 miles on tank. i think that our O2 or knock sensors at fault because we are getting crappy milleage. Perhaps you should run tests of your sensors. Ask your friend mechanic to do so and let me know.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:23 AM

It has nothing to do with your knock sensors or O2 sensors. You make short trips in city traffic, what kind of mileage do you expect to get? I know if I drive all city, I get around 14-16mpg, which is pretty low, but oh well it's city mileage. And my commute in the mornings is like yours, 2-3 miles in city traffic. Warming up your car every morning to operating temp (needle near the middle) isn't going to help your gas mileage either. Unless it is freezing cold, I just let it idle for 10-20 seconds, and then start driving. And when I do warm it up, it's more for me to warm up so I can have some heat from the vents and not freeze my fingers off.

You said 200 miles per tank, how many miles per gallon is that? The reason I ask that is because some people fill up when there are a few gallons left and others wait until they are on fumes (and the low gas light has been on for 50 miles). And the "halfway" mark on the Maxima isn't really halfway, since the gas needle seems to accelerate downwards as you pass the halfway mark...the first "half" passes slowly to make you think you are getting good mileage. Only way is to fill up at that point and see if you are really at half a tank (which should be 9.25 gallons).
Old 03-19-2002, 05:44 AM

Originally posted by Eric L.
It has nothing to do with your knock sensors or O2 sensors. You make short trips in city traffic, what kind of mileage do you expect to get? I know if I drive all city, I get around 14-16mpg, which is pretty low, but oh well it's city mileage. And my commute in the mornings is like yours, 2-3 miles in city traffic. Warming up your car every morning to operating temp (needle near the middle) isn't going to help your gas mileage either. Unless it is freezing cold, I just let it idle for 10-20 seconds, and then start driving. And when I do warm it up, it's more for me to warm up so I can have some heat from the vents and not freeze my fingers off.

You said 200 miles per tank, how many miles per gallon is that? The reason I ask that is because some people fill up when there are a few gallons left and others wait until they are on fumes (and the low gas light has been on for 50 miles). And the "halfway" mark on the Maxima isn't really halfway, since the gas needle seems to accelerate downwards as you pass the halfway mark...the first "half" passes slowly to make you think you are getting good mileage. Only way is to fill up at that point and see if you are really at half a tank (which should be 9.25 gallons).
Thank you for your respond.
I all ways fill up my tank when it's less then a 1/4 left, so i'm thinking if i ad up i'm going to get this numbers.And you sound just like my mechanik at the shop.That whot he told me ,it's normal.
I don't care about ,how many mil. i can do in full tank ,i just need to be shure that is nothing wrong with my baby Maxi.
THANK YOU AND HAVE A NICE DAY! AND SORRY ABOUT MY SPELLING.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:54 AM

Originally posted by cooler2000
Sergey, I have same driving pattern as yours. I drive about 5-6k miles per year and get 190-210 miles on tank. i think that our O2 or knock sensors at fault because we are getting crappy milleage. Perhaps you should run tests of your sensors. Ask your friend mechanic to do so and let me know.
A wazzap cooler, long time no see,no talk,how is evry think,
my knock sensor i chenged lust winter .02 may be but my friend at the shop teling me it's normal , for thet kinde of driving.
COOLER i have carbon fibers very chep now + I HAVE REAL CARBON FIBER you can put around the guages,just like they made for honda's.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by Eric L.

OK when I fill up my car, i put in like 14/14.5 gallons and it is enough for 180-190-200 miles, which translates into crappy 12/13 miles per gallon. So basically something wrong with my car! Cannot figure out why crappy milleage.
Old 03-19-2002, 08:41 AM

Re: is it normal gas ml?

Originally posted by s600ergy
Hi evry one.Sorry for my spelling.
I think something wrong with my gas mil.
I live in Brooklyn NY,it's kind of cold now, so my driving day starts like this : in the morning I worming up my Maxi on till temp. reach the level,then i drive 3 mil. in trafic,stop and go,with the speed 25-35 m p h. some times I turn on the heet.
Then park my car for about 8-9 hours,then the same operation :worming up,trafic,same speed,same 3 mil. then i park my car for about 12-14 hours,then next morning same all .../mon-fri/
On weekends i drive mor in the city trafic, some times go on hwy for coupl of exits,that about it.I drove 12K in 2 years.
So I f.up the tank and now i see needl is allmoust in the midl and i drove about 90mil.
My friend at the repair station told me:for that kind of wether and that kinde of driving it's normal.
My spark plags r new it's only 12K/2 years/ on them.
So i think i m getting about 200-225 mil. on tank.
Is it normal?
THANK YOU AND HAVE A NICE DAY!

What type of gas do you use?

K
Old 03-19-2002, 11:28 AM

only amoco or mobil 93 octane gas
Old 03-19-2002, 01:52 PM

gas milage

First mistake is letting the car warm up to temperature. You are just waisting gas idling it. Start it wait 60 seconds and go. Take it easy the first few miles.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:16 PM

Re: Re: is it normal gas ml?

Originally posted by DARTHSWAN

What type of gas do you use?

K
AMOCO 93 ONLY.
SO IS IT ANYTHING ERONG WITH MY MAXI OR NOT,THET IS ONLY MY CONCERN.
About worming up , i know thet is better for the ingeen.i don't care about my Maxi eating gas, long us she is ok,just making shure thet she is fine.
SORRY ABOUT MY SPELLING.THANK YOU AND HAVE A NICE DAY!
Old 03-19-2002, 05:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I travel a short distance to work and I don't get that great of mpg's either. I wonder more about the life of my exhaust system from having condensation build up in it from short trips. By not having the condensation burn off after driving several miles my exhaust systems never lasted very long on my past cars.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:00 PM
I need a truck

Re: gas milage

Originally posted by peteymax99
[BTake it easy the first few miles. [/B]
try not to punch it .... stay under 2500 rpms
Old 03-20-2002, 06:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: is it normal gas ml?

Originally posted by s600ergy

AMOCO 93 ONLY.
SO IS IT ANYTHING ERONG WITH MY MAXI OR NOT,THET IS ONLY MY CONCERN.
About worming up , i know thet is better for the ingeen.i don't care about my Maxi eating gas, long us she is ok,just making shure thet she is fine.
SORRY ABOUT MY SPELLING.THANK YOU AND HAVE A NICE DAY!
If you are in stop and go traffic, drive short distances, exor(and/or) punch the it a lot, this will effect your gas. Last time you had a tune up? I'm kind of running out of possible options. I did notice that my gas mileage went down during the winter time. Maybe it could be the weather?

K
Old 03-20-2002, 06:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: is it normal gas ml?

Originally posted by DARTHSWAN

If you are in stop and go traffic, drive short distances, exor(and/or) punch the it a lot, this will effect your gas. Last time you had a tune up? I'm kind of running out of possible options. I did notice that my gas mileage went down during the winter time. Maybe it could be the weather?

K
wether yeas that mayby to.tune up i did 2 years ego and i have only 12k on my double platinum ngk's,i chenged gas filtre about 3 month ego and i drove only 2k. i'm chenging my oil evry 2000-2200 ml.and there is the roomers thet east coast gas is not thet clean lately,may be i need to check my 02 censor.