4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tires Tires Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 07:07 PM
MaximaFreak

Tires Tires Tires

I'll be damned if the Maxima doesn't need a perfect set of tires to launch from. Anyone else notice this? I'm on stock 16" SE rims with Bridgestone Tauranza's in stock size and they have SOME miles on them, but probably only 12k miles and have decent tread left, but I can't get traction on a launch worth a CRAP. I know these aren't Z rated tires, but they USED to have some bite.

Hell, I was racing on my way home (just a 4 cyl altima, but he wanted to play ) and when I got into second, not only did I chirp the tires, but I gave em a good spin and the car jumped sideways on me! Granted, it was kinda cool (if I did it on purpose), but if I was racing a fast car, I would have gotten my A$$ kicked.

Has anyone found tires that stay sticky for longer than 12k miles? I really don't beat them up too badly, and like I said, their appearance is good, decent tread left, just not sticky. I can't wait to get 18's, they may be heavier, but also that much harder to spin.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:34 AM

If you need all season, check out Bridgestone RE950 or Dunlop SP5000.

If you do not need all season, try the Kumho 712's. Funny name, but great tires....
Old 03-19-2002, 05:42 AM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by Eric L.
If you need all season, check out Bridgestone RE950 or Dunlop SP5000.

If you do not need all season, try the Kumho 712's. Funny name, but great tires....
Ya know, I was reading up on the 950's last night and I like their tread pattern. They also got great personal reviews from customers. One guy who reviewed the 950's also mentioned the SP5000 about how they have comparable handling with a lower price. I'm definitely going to have to keep looking and keep my ears open. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Tires Tires Tires

Z, W or V rated tires won't necessarily give you more grip. They basically maintain high speeds longer. And their directional tread pattern is better for driving thru rain at speed.

If you're looking for grip, look at a tire's tread wear rating and the compounds it's made of. Perfect example, the Pirelli P7000 and the P7000SS. Both the same tire, but the SS is made of a harder compound. So the SS has a rating of 320 AA whereas the P7000 non-SS is rated at 160 AA. The SS will last twice as long as the non-SS, but the non-SS will grip much better than the SS.

Always a tradeoff.

DW

Originally posted by Big_Ham
I'll be damned if the Maxima doesn't need a perfect set of tires to launch from. Anyone else notice this? I'm on stock 16" SE rims with Bridgestone Tauranza's in stock size and they have SOME miles on them, but probably only 12k miles and have decent tread left, but I can't get traction on a launch worth a CRAP. I know these aren't Z rated tires, but they USED to have some bite.

Hell, I was racing on my way home (just a 4 cyl altima, but he wanted to play ) and when I got into second, not only did I chirp the tires, but I gave em a good spin and the car jumped sideways on me! Granted, it was kinda cool (if I did it on purpose), but if I was racing a fast car, I would have gotten my A$$ kicked.

Has anyone found tires that stay sticky for longer than 12k miles? I really don't beat them up too badly, and like I said, their appearance is good, decent tread left, just not sticky. I can't wait to get 18's, they may be heavier, but also that much harder to spin.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:21 AM
MAX

I have yokohama parada's on 18's, pretty good grip in turns, still not hard to spin from a dead stop.
Old 03-19-2002, 12:29 PM

Good luck on the tire search. I kow that when I was looking I think I changed my mind about 10 times based on reviews and opinions. It can drive you nuts but take the time to find ones that will fit you right.

SuDZ
Old 03-19-2002, 01:02 PM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by SuDZ
Good luck on the tire search. I kow that when I was looking I think I changed my mind about 10 times based on reviews and opinions. It can drive you nuts but take the time to find ones that will fit you right.

SuDZ
Believe me, I have all the time in the world. Rims won't happen until September when I close on my house and get my bonus check, but I am doing all the research possible to make sure I will love my purchase and not want to re-do the whole thing a year later like I want to with my spring/strut combo.
Old 03-25-2002, 09:06 AM

Re: Re: Tires Tires Tires

Also, the higher the speed rating of the tire, the stiffer the sidewall. Hence, resulting in a harsher ride but better cornering ability.

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Z, W or V rated tires won't necessarily give you more grip. They basically maintain high speeds longer. And their directional tread pattern is better for driving thru rain at speed.

If you're looking for grip, look at a tire's tread wear rating and the compounds it's made of. Perfect example, the Pirelli P7000 and the P7000SS. Both the same tire, but the SS is made of a harder compound. So the SS has a rating of 320 AA whereas the P7000 non-SS is rated at 160 AA. The SS will last twice as long as the non-SS, but the non-SS will grip much better than the SS.

Always a tradeoff.

DW

Old 03-25-2002, 01:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Big_Ham

Ya know, I was reading up on the 950's last night and I like their tread pattern. They also got great personal reviews from customers. One guy who reviewed the 950's also mentioned the SP5000 about how they have comparable handling with a lower price. I'm definitely going to have to keep looking and keep my ears open. Thanks.
I love the 950s, my brother knows next to nothing about cars and I ended up choosing them for his car. They almost make a Taurus stick to the road well.