4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stock SE suspension vs KYB AGX w/ weapon rs

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 09:26 PM

Stock SE suspension vs KYB AGX w/ weapon rs

I was thinking of changing my susepnsion however I was told that the SEs have a stiff suspension vs GXEs/GLEs. I was just wondering if there was any handling advantage of having these struts + new springs?

I know I get the drop and that equals better handling but is it really going to make *that* much of a difference ie $750 worth? Right now for $750 I could really care less about getting it dropped. Granted there are cheaper suspension options out there but I really see zero advantage in springing for a cheap suspension when the one I have suits me fine.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Stock SE suspension vs KYB AGX w/ weapon rs

Originally posted by Finality
I was thinking of changing my susepnsion however I was told that the SEs have a stiff suspension vs GXEs/GLEs. I was just wondering if there was any handling advantage of having these struts + new springs?

I know I get the drop and that equals better handling but is it really going to make *that* much of a difference ie $750 worth? Right now for $750 I could really care less about getting it dropped. Granted there are cheaper suspension options out there but I really see zero advantage in springing for a cheap suspension when the one I have suits me fine.
The SE's suspension is definitely stiffer than the GXE & the GLE. By lowering the car via lowering springs, your car's center of gravity will be lower and your car will handle better. However, the more you lower your car, the quicker your stock shocks/struts will wear out if you decide to keep them in. If you're happy with the looks/height of your car now, why not replace just the shocks/struts and keep the stock springs?
Old 03-18-2002, 11:25 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

Ground Controls/KYB AGX

me likey!
Old 03-19-2002, 04:23 AM

Re: Re: Stock SE suspension vs KYB AGX w/ weapon rs

Originally posted by ljl10

The SE's suspension is definitely stiffer than the GXE & the GLE. By lowering the car via lowering springs, your car's center of gravity will be lower and your car will handle better. However, the more you lower your car, the quicker your stock shocks/struts will wear out if you decide to keep them in. If you're happy with the looks/height of your car now, why not replace just the shocks/struts and keep the stock springs?
Its mainly a cost factor, also I figured that as long I was changing one I might as well change the other.

BTW why are weapon rs so expensive?
Old 03-19-2002, 07:01 AM
Maxima owner since 2000

Re: Re: Re: Stock SE suspension vs KYB AGX w/ weapon rs

Originally posted by Finality
BTW why are weapon rs so expensive?
i thought the Ground Controls cost more than the Weapon Rs