4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

speeding

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 03:12 PM
robbyrob

speeding

just returning from florida in my 99 max se. had my radar on an all, just switched lanes to pass a couple of vehicles and i got hit by the instant on radar ka-band. this was on I-95 N in south carolina. the uniformed officer in the camaro pulled out from under the overpass and follwed me a 1/2 mile. he then turned on his lights and pulled me over. he gave a ticket for $403. doing 101 in a 70. will this affect my isurance? what i mean is will the points besent to ny? i have a ny state license. please help, anyone out there had any experience like this? i'm just worried about the points, its 6 points i beleive, do the follow to ny? thanks

Old 03-21-2002, 03:14 PM
I need a truck

Re: speeding

Originally posted by robbyrob
just returning from florida in my 99 max se. had my radar on an all, just switched lanes to pass a couple of vehicles and i got hit by the instant on radar ka-band. this was on I-95 N in south carolina. the uniformed officer in the camaro pulled out from under the overpass and follwed me a 1/2 mile. he then turned on his lights and pulled me over. he gave a ticket for $403. doing 101 in a 70. will this affect my isurance? what i mean is will the points besent to ny? i have a ny state license. please help, anyone out there had any experience like this? i'm just worried about the points, its 6 points i beleive, do the follow to ny? thanks
wow you got pulled over by a camaro ... i'm 99% sure that the points do NOT come with you to NY becuase my friend got a similar ticket, but no points .... i'm not sure about the insurance however
Old 03-21-2002, 03:18 PM

All the RMV's now are connected via modems etc. They will get back there but might take some time. Is this your first offence?

SuDZ
Old 03-21-2002, 03:22 PM

damn this internet thing!!!
Old 03-21-2002, 03:27 PM

You might want to check the ticket first. If the ticket says it's a correctable violation then you can go to traffic school and points will not appear on your record.
My friend got hit with a 110 mph ticket while heading to Vegas. The officer gave him a noncorrectable violation and he received 2 pts. on his record. But his insurance company is cool about it (Geico), and they dismissed his first offense.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:23 PM

in ct at anything close to those speeds goodbye liceances
Old 03-21-2002, 05:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

A similar question was asked on one of BMW forums and everyone said "Pay it like a man"...yeah more like "pay it and become a looser".
I say fight it. You might get lucky and have that fine or points reduced.
Old 03-21-2002, 06:10 PM

here's a trick i read in car and driver a while back(not sure which issue)

when you pay the ticket send a check for more money than you owe. ie. ticket: $100, send: $105. since you sent extra, by law they must send you a check back for it. this is the tricky part. dont cash the $5 check they send you, instead burn it. since they can't add points until all monatary transactions are completed, your points will just be waiting there. im not sure if this works everywhere, but i remember reading it. i tried it last month on my ticket and ill let you guys know what happens.
Old 03-21-2002, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by densetsu

when you pay the ticket send a check for more money than you owe. ie. ticket: $100, send: $105. since you sent extra, by law they must send you a check back for it. this is the tricky part. dont cash the $5 check they send you, instead burn it. since they can't add points until all monatary transactions are completed, your points will just be waiting there. im not sure if this works everywhere, but i remember reading it. i tried it last month on my ticket and ill let you guys know what happens.
i heard this used to work. But the system has been corrected now. I doubt it will work anymore
Old 03-21-2002, 07:11 PM
I need a truck

Originally posted by multiplexor

i heard this used to work. But the system has been corrected now. I doubt it will work anymore
i know someone who was told to do that .... i'm pretty sure it works
Old 03-21-2002, 07:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah thats what I've heard too. Would be great if it was true though.
Old 03-21-2002, 08:13 PM
ybelm620

Shouldnt have to worry. Just pay the ticket or fight it if you want to go back down there. SInce you do not have a South Carolina license i pretty sure no points will go on. I had teh instant on turned on me too, on the turnpike luckily for me i was doing the 30mph in a curve as i was getting on. Anywayz you shouldnt have a problem, check the south carolina DMV website and see what the rules are.

Old 03-21-2002, 08:14 PM

Don't know for the whole state of GA, but they didn't accept my personal check (want to do the same thing that you guys r talking about ) ---MONEY ORDER ONLY
Old 03-21-2002, 08:59 PM
MAX

I always thought that if you were going more than 25 over the limit, your liscense gets suspended. Also my ex-g/f got her Jersey liscense suspended from too many points, yet never got a ticket IN New Jersey.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by BowieMax
I always thought that if you were going more than 25 over the limit, your liscense gets suspended. Also my ex-g/f got her Jersey liscense suspended from too many points, yet never got a ticket IN New Jersey.
majority of my speeding tickets came out of state and no points were ever added to my record...so just pay it and don't worry about it...just worry about the 403 bucks you could of spent modding your max
Old 03-22-2002, 05:31 AM

If you are a NYS Driver, any points from a state other than NY will not affect you-->

Unless you receive a ticket in Ontario or Quebec, or unless the ticket is the result of a DWI or DWAI.
Just pay the fine and be done with it. If you try to get slick and not pay the fine (like many people used to do) you will/can be arrested if you are ever caught in the state of the offense at a later date.

HOWEVER, 25+ over the posted speed limit would be reckless driving in S.Carolina. See this link for details :http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/laws.html

You may need to return to the state for a hearing and possible additional fines, unless the reckless driving charge is included in the $403. Read the summons carefully, very carefully.

You do not want to make a mistake on this one. I have a vacation home in S.Carolina and an NYS drivers license, and I've gotten ticketed in S.Carolina once before.

Now, on another note, why the hell were you driving so darn fast. You absolutely cannot drive that fast anywhere on the I-95 corridor and not get caught. IF you don't then you're just plain lucky.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:33 AM

Does NOT work, it is a complete lie-->

BTDT
Old 03-22-2002, 05:34 AM

To fight the ticket, you must appear in court-->

Originally posted by AndyXXL
A similar question was asked on one of BMW forums and everyone said "Pay it like a man"...yeah more like "pay it and become a looser".
I say fight it. You might get lucky and have that fine or points reduced.
Not worth the cost and time of driving 1400 miles round trip. There will be no points on his license.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:36 AM

I met with a few S.Carolina troopers before-->

Originally posted by Conrad283

wow you got pulled over by a camaro ... i'm 99% sure that the points do NOT come with you to NY becuase my friend got a similar ticket, but no points .... i'm not sure about the insurance however
They have unmarked Camaro's, Firebirds, Grand Prix GTP's and a few other "secret weapons" I had posted about this a while ago. They have unmarked C5 Vettes as well.

Do NOT try to run from them, they will catch you!!
There was also the time back in the early 90's where S.C. was running M5 police cars. (Donation from BMW for allowing the BMW plant to be built there)
Old 03-22-2002, 05:46 AM

It depends

First. that story about paying more than the fine sounds suspiciously like urban legend to me. Don't believe it.

Second, whether you receive points on your license in NY depends on whether NY has "reciprocity" with SC or not -- having reciprocity means the two states trade information on violations. Some states share info, some don't. If they share info, you've got a problem and may want to fight the ticket depending on what NY will do to you for a 101 in a 70, probably not a pretty sight. And, if NY and SC share, NY *WILL* find out. Its simply a matter of time.

I would do some research and learn a little more before you decide what to do. If it turns out SC and NY have reciprocity and NY would ding you big time, you might want to consider talking to a local lawyer (SC local, not NY local, you yankee you) and see what they have to say. If nothing else you might be able to negotiate during a court appearance and reduce the alleged speed to 19 over or something.

Lastly, you might just luck out if you show up for court. Since you were from out of state (way out of state in fact) the trooper might anticipate that you wouldn't come back to fight the ticket and could have given you a bogus court date on the tix -- one that he/she had no intention of showing up on and reserves just for out-of-staters.

If none of this works out, you can always join www.bicycle.org

Good luck
Old 03-22-2002, 06:30 AM

Re: I met with a few S.Carolina troopers before-->

Originally posted by Jimbrowski

They have unmarked Camaro's, Firebirds, Grand Prix GTP's and a few other "secret weapons" I had posted about this a while ago. They have unmarked C5 Vettes as well.

Do NOT try to run from them, they will catch you!!
There was also the time back in the early 90's where S.C. was running M5 police cars. (Donation from BMW for allowing the BMW plant to be built there)
Yo man, since when did Audi 2.7T come on stick?
Old 03-22-2002, 06:34 AM

Does not work in NY any more. They return your check with a letter stating the mistake and catalog it as non-payment, and issue a warrant, maybe even suspend your license. Don't know how it works in other states.

Old 03-22-2002, 06:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: I met with a few S.Carolina troopers before-->

Originally posted by SonicDust187

Yo man, since when did Audi 2.7T come on stick?
6-speed transmission was offered on 2.7T since 2000.
Old 03-22-2002, 06:35 AM

another option?

Got a ticket in Kentucy and they had a deal where you could do a home video (about 4 hours worth) and then the ticket did not get reported for points or insurance. I did it.
Call to the phone number on the ticket and GET SPECIFIC DETAILS. Ask how you can avoid points and higher insurance rates BEFORE you decide what to do. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2002, 06:41 AM

Re: Re: Re: I met with a few S.Carolina troopers before-->

Originally posted by AndyXXL

6-speed transmission was offered on 2.7T since 2000.
WOW. Can't wait till I get one of those at work.
Old 03-22-2002, 06:53 AM

Re: If you are a NYS Driver, any points from a state other than NY will not affect you-->

Yup. What he said. Part of the reason I make my roadtrips out of NY state

DW

Originally posted by Jimbrowski

Unless you receive a ticket in Ontario or Quebec, or unless the ticket is the result of a DWI or DWAI.
Just pay the fine and be done with it. If you try to get slick and not pay the fine (like many people used to do) you will/can be arrested if you are ever caught in the state of the offense at a later date.

HOWEVER, 25+ over the posted speed limit would be reckless driving in S.Carolina. See this link for details :http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/laws.html

You may need to return to the state for a hearing and possible additional fines, unless the reckless driving charge is included in the $403. Read the summons carefully, very carefully.

You do not want to make a mistake on this one. I have a vacation home in S.Carolina and an NYS drivers license, and I've gotten ticketed in S.Carolina once before.

Now, on another note, why the hell were you driving so darn fast. You absolutely cannot drive that fast anywhere on the I-95 corridor and not get caught. IF you don't then you're just plain lucky.
Old 03-22-2002, 07:47 AM

This doesn't work. It worked once, in Australia or New Zealand and people starting passing it along via the internet. Well, you guessed it, it spread like wildfire. It doesn't work in the US, and I don't think it ever worked in the US. All you are doing is contributing an extra $5 or whatever extra amount you sent in to that police department. They record it as a donation and your and you ticket is processed as it would be if you paid the exact amount.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:39 AM

something else

Sorry to hear of your ticket, but I hope this expensive lesson taught you something. Having a radar detector does not free you to drive recklessly. Going over 80mph on these older highways out East is just plain careless. There is no good reason to go that fast. You not only put yourself at risk, but even more importantly the innocent lives of others.

You've received some excellent suggestions in this thread. I hope you can escape this without an insurance penalty or points.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2002, 01:46 PM
robbyrob

thanks to all, i am gonna try to fight, or should i say get a lawyer and try to get the charges reduced. the only thing is the lawyers in sc want $400(legal fees) and $403(amount of the ticket) all in advance. yes i've called all around. about the same price and conditions. if any of you knows a good law firm or lawyers down there please let me know. you all are right i shouldn't have gone that fast. but i learned my lesson, right just the thought of all this money, my max would have loved it. now those mods i wanted will have to wait.

Old 03-24-2002, 02:30 PM

In Ontario there's a rumor going around...

that if you overpay the ticket, by like, $5, the government keeps a "balance" open (as they now owe you money) and the ticket never finishes processing -- that is, they don't close out the issue, and the points don't go to the insurance company...

BUt, its only a rumor....

FLO_BOY