4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

GC coilovers with KYB AGX (real long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 10:07 PM

GC coilovers with KYB AGX (real long)

Hey guys, my friend and I installed my front kyb's and GC's today (not enough time for the back). We set them down all the way, and went for a drive. Whenever I turn left to right, like going in a circle, it makes pretty bad popping/banging noises.

I did a search and have read almost all of the threads, and no one is complaining about this. It can't be the springs touching eachother, because they make bad noise even when I am sitting at a stop and make lock-to-lock turns with the wheel.

I don't know if we installed them correctly. We used common knowledge and the instructions (very confusing) and it looks correctly installed, but no one else has complained about this?!?!

To get the GC red sleeves to go over the AGX front struts, we had to take a grinder and grind the nubs off around where the piston comes out of the shock body. We then took the smallest rubber circle things (they were taped together, 2 per front I think) and slid them down to the bottom of the AGX body, and put the sleeve on. We then put the gold perch all the way down. Put the spring on, put the silver top hat on, then the stock strut top thing, then the strut mount assembly (2 pieces) and finally the stock red gasket. Mounted it all up, bolted it back in place, and the AGX brake line mounts are competely backwards, so we ziptied them in place. Put my 18's back on went driving and noticed the sound.

I'm going to go driving tonight so I will see what's up. If anyone can post their step by step installs so I can compare, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2002, 10:13 PM

additional info

I think 2 of the silver top hats came with a black "bushing" of some sort zip tied to it. What is that supposed to be used for? We didn't know so we just left it out. Also, there is a white/silver plastic ring that was used in the stock assembly. We put it in on the pass. side, but forgot on the drivers side. What does it do/is it necessary to put it back in on the drivers side?

Also, my parents digital camera freaking sucks and I don't know how to x-fer pictures from the cam to the computer so I'm sorry I can't take pictures. Thanks for all help!!

Casey
Old 03-30-2002, 10:42 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

The silver thingy is the strut bearing. You guys didn't reuse it?? No wonder it's making the poping sound. The strut mounting insulator bracket (It's the bronze piece with the 3 studs where the FSTB goes on) needs to rotate against the top hat of the GC. The top of the strut assembly is stationary while the top hat/spring/strut needs to rotate with the steering rod. Without it, only thing that can rotate is the spring. It's basically winding up until there is enough force to cause it to rotate. When it does rotate, it makes that poping/clunking sound.
Old 03-30-2002, 10:47 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Is this the piece you guys left out?

http://photos.imageevent.com/1max2nv...e/Dcp01092.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/1max2nv...e/Dcp01093.jpg

Anyway, I dont' have GC, but I'm pretty sure you need the strut bearing in the setup.
Old 03-31-2002, 12:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: GC coilovers with KYB AGX (real long)

Dude

Sounds like you've got the struts on left-right wrong. AGX struts have a left and a right. If the brake line clamps are backwards, it means you have them switched. I am not sure if that would cause your popping noise but it seems to indicate that something was not done right in any case. One more thing you might want to check is on the top piece, there is a slot on the top assembly that should point outward. It is designed to follow the shape of the strut tower.

It should be covered in the Haynes manual. There's not really a whole lot of difference between coil overs and regular springs in terms of assembly except that the coilovers have extra plates on the end (I think) to butt up against the rubber assembly in in the mounting plate instead of the spring ends.

Originally posted by global_threat
Hey guys, my friend and I installed my front kyb's and GC's today (not enough time for the back). We set them down all the way, and went for a drive. Whenever I turn left to right, like going in a circle, it makes pretty bad popping/banging noises.

I did a search and have read almost all of the threads, and no one is complaining about this. It can't be the springs touching eachother, because they make bad noise even when I am sitting at a stop and make lock-to-lock turns with the wheel.

I don't know if we installed them correctly. We used common knowledge and the instructions (very confusing) and it looks correctly installed, but no one else has complained about this?!?!

To get the GC red sleeves to go over the AGX front struts, we had to take a grinder and grind the nubs off around where the piston comes out of the shock body. We then took the smallest rubber circle things (they were taped together, 2 per front I think) and slid them down to the bottom of the AGX body, and put the sleeve on. We then put the gold perch all the way down. Put the spring on, put the silver top hat on, then the stock strut top thing, then the strut mount assembly (2 pieces) and finally the stock red gasket. Mounted it all up, bolted it back in place, and the AGX brake line mounts are competely backwards, so we ziptied them in place. Put my 18's back on went driving and noticed the sound.

I'm going to go driving tonight so I will see what's up. If anyone can post their step by step installs so I can compare, I would appreciate it.

Thanks