4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Should I buy SE or GXE?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002 | 10:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Should I buy SE or GXE?

Originally posted by carnal_c30

I dont think it was even standard on 97+ Maximas... i think it was an expensive option
True, my 97 SE doesn't have ABS
Old 04-06-2002 | 06:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Should I buy SE or GXE?

Originally posted by breaux124

True, my 97 SE doesn't have ABS
Get what you can afford. You can always add to it later.
Old 04-06-2002 | 11:26 PM

I'd say go for an SE.... even if your going to be upgrading your shocks/wheels/whatever... I feel the SE is the better "base" to start with. Also it is easier to find an SE 5spd then it is to find a GXE. And to clear up the anti-lock brake debate. ABS was a $900 option for all 4th generation Max's from 95-99. It became standard for the 5th generation models in 2000. For our model years, most Maxima's that had the ABS option were GLE's, very few SE's had them and its almost impossible to find a GXE with ABS. What it basically comes down to is, shop by price... a Maxima's a Maxima no matter what trim line. As peteymax says.. get what you can afford.
Old 04-08-2002 | 06:26 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Should I buy SE or GXE?

Yeah, get one you can afford, but you can't add ABS later.

If you want:

a sunroof
5 speed
ABS

It's best to get the car with it already installed from the factory, not convert later. Lots of people here have converted their autos to 5 speeds, my hats off to them, but it is quite a complicated affair. Sunroofs you can add later, but i wonder of their reliability and leakproofness. ABS, well, no way. The car should be born with it.

DW

Originally posted by peteymax99
Get what you can afford. You can always add to it later.
Old 04-10-2002 | 10:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Should I buy SE or GXE?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dwapenyi
[B]Yeah, get one you can afford, but you can't add ABS later.

If you want:

a sunroof
5 speed
ABS

you can add ABS to a GXE ya jus have to know what ur doin

I could add it on mine I have an ABS system at my disposal but I figure I dont really wana bother with it with my big brake kit

and anyways the Maxima ABS system sucks ***... reminds me of the cheap *** ABS in a Mazda Protege... and the ABS in my sisters Cavalier feels better than the Maxima ABS...
Old 04-11-2002 | 08:14 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Advantages of the SE over GXE:

leather wrapped steering wheel and shift ****
white gauges
no chrome
most have a moonroof, power drivers seat, Bose
spoiler
foglights
stiffer suspension

It would be a tough decision if I had to do it all over again. I've got an SE with all the option except ABS, leather, and heated seats. I installed leather seats in December and it dramatically improves the image of luxury and feel. I recommend finding a cloth SE/GXE and coverting to aftermarket leather. I like having the moonroof, love the factory guages. No aftermarket gauges match the "coolness" factor of the stock SE gauges. The SE gauges change from black on white in the day to white on black at night. I've never seen an aftermarket gauge kit that has these properties. Suspension wise, once you change out the springs and struts, you've removed the handling advantage of the SE. If the SE standard equipment isn't important to you, then get the GXE because it's slightly lighter.

Dave
Old 04-11-2002 | 10:06 AM

Originally posted by Dave B

white gauges
no chrome
spoiler
foglights
stiffer suspension

It would be a tough decision if I had to do it all over again. I've got an SE with all the option except ABS, leather, and heated seats. I installed leather seats in December and it dramatically improves the image of luxury and feel. I recommend finding a cloth SE/GXE and coverting to aftermarket leather. I like having the moonroof, love the factory guages. No aftermarket gauges match the "coolness" factor of the stock SE gauges. The SE gauges change from black on white in the day to white on black at night. I've never seen an aftermarket gauge kit that has these properties. Suspension wise, once you change out the springs and struts, you've removed the handling advantage of the SE. If the SE standard equipment isn't important to you, then get the GXE because it's slightly lighter.

Dave
I agree completely. All these little things add up, and very few people change all these things on their GXE.

The Steering wheel feels much different, and much better (in my opinion). Plus the SE wheels are good looking wheels, even if you go with aftermarket wheels you still have a good set for backup or winter.
Old 04-11-2002 | 01:01 PM

well do this...
call stillen and tell them to put a SC on your se than call back and tell them you want to put it on a gxe after they finish laffin than you will know..oh by the way i got an se but ya tell
Old 04-11-2002 | 01:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by caneyebus
well do this...
call stillen and tell them to put a SC on your se than call back and tell them you want to put it on a gxe after they finish laffin than you will know..oh by the way i got an se but ya tell

hmmmm are you smoking some canibus?
Old 04-12-2002 | 01:47 AM

I agree completely. All these little things add up, and very few people change all these things on their GXE.

The Steering wheel feels much different, and much better (in my opinion). Plus the SE wheels are good looking wheels, even if you go with aftermarket wheels you still have a good set for backup or winter.
If a nice steering wheel is that important to you then by all means do NOT get an SE. I have a leather/wood steering wheel from Nis Knacks http://www.nis-knacks.com/products/m..._steering.html
(mine is actually a rosewood one off prototype. just like those, but thw wood section is more red...really matches my burgandy car)
Anyway, these steering wheels do not fit on the SE's due to some mounting stud being different. They only fit on GXE and GLE's. If you really want to set yourself apart from the crowd, check them out. very few cars on the road have them here in the US. A few Lexus and mercedes may have them, but they are not standard by any means.
Old 04-12-2002 | 12:19 PM
starcruzer

Thanks for all the input to my question.... At this point I'm still looking, not sure what I will end up with, probably it will be based on what comes up first for the right price/mileage, condition etc.
Old 04-15-2002 | 06:05 AM

SE steering wheels, at least in the 97-99s, are really nice. No wood, but great shape, perforated leather grips, and the aribag isn't so over-sized, like the stock wheel.

DW

Originally posted by Kanaka

If a nice steering wheel is that important to you then by all means do NOT get an SE. I have a leather/wood steering wheel from Nis Knacks http://www.nis-knacks.com/products/m..._steering.html
(mine is actually a rosewood one off prototype. just like those, but thw wood section is more red...really matches my burgandy car)
Anyway, these steering wheels do not fit on the SE's due to some mounting stud being different. They only fit on GXE and GLE's. If you really want to set yourself apart from the crowd, check them out. very few cars on the road have them here in the US. A few Lexus and mercedes may have them, but they are not standard by any means.
Old 04-15-2002 | 10:37 PM

Originally posted by Kanaka

why do you say the wheel wont fit an se? it doesnt say it wont on the website. its not because of a mounting stub, if anything, its the airbag being different, therefor a different wheel is used....
Old 04-16-2002 | 02:16 AM

Originally posted by 96MAXGLE7

why do you say the wheel wont fit an se? it doesnt say it wont on the website. its not because of a mounting stub, if anything, its the airbag being different, therefor a different wheel is used....
Actually I stand corrected. They will fit an SE. the website used to say that it didn't fit, but Richard Crabbe just updated his site and corrected that. there was some mixup and his supplier said it wouldn't fit, but actually they do. In any case, I highly recommend these steering wheels. you have to see it in person to appreciate it.
Old 05-15-2002 | 02:29 PM

Re: Should I buy SE or GXE?

Originally posted by starcruzer
I am looking to buy a '97 to '99 Maxima. Problem is there seems to be a limited number of 5 speeds and even less 5 speed SE's, and the ones who do have them for sale (at least in my area) seem to have them over priced (typicaly 2-3K more than the GXE). From what I've read, it looks like the main diference between the GXE and the SE is the white gagues, the spoiler, the fog lights, the wheels and the suspension. Since I don't particularly care about the spoiler or the gagues, (now here is my question) Would there be any disadvantage to simply buying a 5 speed GXE and then upgrading the wheels, tires, struts and springs?? I think I could do that for less money than buying the SE (thats if I can even find one). Any comments or insight would be appreciated.
How many horses does the GXE come with?
Old 05-15-2002 | 03:00 PM

ummm abs was optional those years buddy
Old 05-15-2002 | 03:36 PM

Re: Re: Should I buy SE or GXE?

Originally posted by Neuhowse

How many horses does the GXE come with?
The same as the GLE and SE.
Old 05-15-2002 | 03:49 PM
rlarrea

Originally posted by JAY25
if you dont care about the limiter which you wont really use unless you dont love yourself get a GXE, also the SEs come with ABS thats a mod that GXEs dont come with but if you dont care about that then go with the GXE, so I see people forgot that SE's do come with ABS brakes that alone costs over $1000, and the SE suspension is garbage, compared to aftermarket suspension which is a whole lot better if you ask me, I dont think is worth what the $1000 over. Ill get some sprints for $141 shipped and some Konis for $480 and your suspension will be far superior then GXE and SE suspension. Wheels thats a different story. Gauges are like $65 and they are nice and pretty as well.
Old 05-15-2002 | 03:51 PM
rlarrea

Originally posted by JAY25
if you dont care about the limiter which you wont really use unless you dont love yourself get a GXE, also the SEs come with ABS thats a mod that GXEs dont come with but if you dont care about that then go with the GXE, so I see people forgot that SE's do come with ABS brakes that alone costs over $1000, and the SE suspension is garbage, compared to aftermarket suspension which is a whole lot better if you ask me, I dont think is worth what the $1000 over. Ill get some sprints for $141 shipped and some Konis for $480 and your suspension will be far superior then GXE and SE suspension. Wheels thats a different story. Gauges are like $65 and they are nice and pretty as well.

What are sprints for $141? And where can I buy them?
Old 05-15-2002 | 05:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Should I buy SE or GXE?

Originally posted by peteymax99
The same as the GLE and SE.
All Maxima trim levels have the same 190hp V6 engine.
Old 05-15-2002 | 09:16 PM

Originally posted by 1eyedcalibandit

Here is some insight for you. If you plan on racing the GXE it has a speed limiter just like the GLE model. The SE model does not have this speed limiter. I hope this helps you with your choice.
Not at all true. Only GXE's without the C&C Package have a limiter.

I have a 97 GXE with C&C and Power Driver's seat, and I've tken her up to 130, no problem.....could have gone faster if I hadn't chickened out.

IanS
Old 05-16-2002 | 12:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Get a GLE, and sit back and ride in the comfert of the Grand Luxory Edition!
Old 05-16-2002 | 05:40 AM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Originally posted by tabridge5
i have an se, thats what i would go with
I have one too, and it gives the Maxima that sporty attitude
Old 05-16-2002 | 05:42 AM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

white gauges
no chrome
spoiler
foglights
stiffer suspension

Dave
I agree, if I got a newer SE, this time I'd get all the options
Old 05-16-2002 | 05:45 AM
Administrator

notice a trend on this board.. most of the fastest cars on this board are GXE's.. you know why? because they spent hte extra money on something else..

Delio (10 PSI Supercharged)
Cheston (10 PSI Supercharged)
JAY25 (10 PSI Supercharged)
MardigrasMax (10 PSI Supercharged w/ NOS)
sx7r (100 shot NOS)
me (100 shot NOS)
Synki (100 shot NOS)
Old 05-16-2002 | 05:52 AM
Administrator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave B
[B] Advantages of the SE over GXE:

my GXE came with both stock

white gauges
yes

no chrome
yes
spoiler
you can get a gxe with all that.. NickStam's gxe came with spoiler.. and if you get the C&C package i am sure it comes with power seat

foglights
yes

stiffer suspension
yes .. but even you got rid of yours

Dave
Old 05-16-2002 | 06:22 AM

Your GXE is a just plain strange, a frankenstein. You know it shouldn't have come with that stuff.

DW

Originally posted by SprintMax

my GXE came with both stock

yes

yes

you can get a gxe with all that.. NickStam's gxe came with spoiler.. and if you get the C&C package i am sure it comes with power seat

yes

yes .. but even you got rid of yours

Old 05-16-2002 | 06:48 AM

Originally posted by JetBlackMax
Get a GLE, and sit back and ride in the comfert of the Grand Luxory Edition!
Just don't drive too fast or you'll float off the road
Old 05-16-2002 | 07:31 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Your GXE is a just plain strange, a frankenstein. You know it shouldn't have come with that stuff.

DW

Old 05-16-2002 | 07:49 AM

DW

My GXE has a spoiler also. I made them install the spolier and tint the windows as part of the deal for buying the car.

IanS
Old 05-16-2002 | 08:53 AM

The spoiler is understandable, and so are fogs. Those options can be added to the GXE or GLE. But the white gages and the SE steering wheel?? That's supposed to be exclusive to the SE. Can't add them or nuthin' from the factory. Gotta get an SE for that.

DW

Originally posted by iansw

My GXE has a spoiler also. I made them install the spolier and tint the windows as part of the deal for buying the car.

IanS
Old 05-16-2002 | 09:02 AM
Administrator

The spoiler is understandable, and so are fogs. Those options can be added to the GXE or GLE. But the white gages and the SE steering wheel?? That's supposed to be exclusive to the SE. Can't add them or nuthin' from the factory. Gotta get an SE for that.

DW

never said i had white face gauges
Old 05-16-2002 | 09:24 AM

Oh. OK. So it was just the shift **** and the steering wheel. Still a freak, but a more easily creatable one

DW

never said i had white face gauges
Old 05-16-2002 | 09:28 AM

DW

I could easily get my steering wheel leather-wrapped by a local upholstery shop at as good or better quality than an SE.

As for White Guages? One word:
Indiglo.

IanS
Old 05-16-2002 | 09:58 AM
Administrator

As for White Guages? One word:
Indiglo.

IanS
no

two words.. reverse indiglo..

VW style
Old 05-16-2002 | 10:25 AM
Administrator

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=covers
Old 05-16-2002 | 10:29 AM

no

two words.. reverse indiglo..

VW style
heh...Either way....
Old 05-16-2002 | 10:33 AM
Administrator

heh...Either way....
whats funny is.. alot of the SE's on this board.. have suspension mods.. reverse indiglos.. you even find a couple SE's with leatherseats.com two tone seats.. and they also have aftermarket rims.. but when you see their car next to mine.. you can't even really tell whats a SE or GXE.. only that mine weighs less
Old 05-16-2002 | 10:57 AM

but when you see their car next to mine.. you can't even really tell whats a SE or GXE.. only that mine weighs less
You mean when you're not in the car, right?
Old 05-16-2002 | 12:02 PM
Administrator

You mean when you're not in the car, right?
something wrong with being 6'3 240?