4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

civic Si vs. maxima

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 11:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

civic Si vs. maxima

if a civic Si and a Maxima (auto) go head to head who wins?

and also if they go from a running start?
Old 04-09-2002, 11:44 PM

Re: civic Si vs. maxima

Originally posted by BuFfGuY85
if a civic Si and a Maxima (auto) go head to head who wins?

and also if they go from a running start?
are they both stock?
Old 04-09-2002, 11:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: civic Si vs. maxima

yea both stock
Old 04-09-2002, 11:56 PM

si's run low 15's stock - an auto maxima runs mid 15's..........if you guys go at it from a low speed roll - the maxima should win
Old 04-10-2002, 12:11 AM
SLOW

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
si's run low 15's stock - an auto maxima runs mid 15's..........if you guys go at it from a low speed roll - the maxima should win
uh they are CAPABLE of low 15s stock, but 99 out of 100 drivers run 15.7 or worse.
Old 04-10-2002, 01:00 AM

civic = devil
Old 04-10-2002, 04:30 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by Nealoc187

uh they are CAPABLE of low 15s stock, but 99 out of 100 drivers run 15.7 or worse.

Exactly. By virtue of it's better low end torque (boy, is that the understatement of the year or what?) the Maxima is easier to launch.

I've raced a couple of Si's from a roll on the street and pulled away easily.

I've also beaten every one I've gone up against at the track.

So, take that as you will
Old 04-10-2002, 05:14 AM

If you get a good jump on them you should be set. But at higer speeds VTEC comes into play and can make things more difficult for you.

SuDZ
Old 04-10-2002, 05:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mzmtg

Exactly. By virtue of it's better low end torque (boy, is that the understatement of the year or what?) the Maxima is easier to launch.

love that sig
Old 04-10-2002, 06:37 AM

Not another Civic SI vs. Maxima thread...lol. Anyway, just race the SI, only sure way to find out.

Btw, I think most stock auto Maximas are more like high 15s to low 16s sec cars. There are exception of course like Ben and Deezo.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:28 AM

you should have him pretty easily. A friend of mine has a 99 Si with intake and exhaust and i raced him few times i have won always with my stock 99 SE.
Old 04-10-2002, 09:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

do civics even have torque?
Old 04-10-2002, 10:15 AM

Funny this should come up. Got into my first real bit of "racing" with this car last night around 3 AM. Got off from a rolling start at a light with an si. It seemed odd to me at the time, but I was pulling a good distance ahead of him by the time we stopped. I was in drive with overdrive off at the time and didn't change gears along the way (or even turn overdrive off, I just tend to keep it off around town). Pretty much just kept the pedal on the floor. According to the guy he was running stock, so...

Originally posted by Cumalot
Btw, I think most stock auto Maximas are more like high 15s to low 16s sec cars. There are exception of course like Ben and Deezo.
I'm pretty sure the majority of stock auto's run, at the very least, mid-high 15's. There shouldn't really be that much variation between stock cars, especially when they're autos. And even though I haven't had a chance to test my specific car out yet, I know at least two people with auto maxima's who were able to run mid 15's. Then again, maybe they are the exception. again.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:18 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by HondaKiller718

love that sig
Actually it isn't a SIG but a HK
Old 04-10-2002, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ
If you get a good jump on them you should be set. But at higer speeds VTEC comes into play and can make things more difficult for you.

SuDZ
How does VTEC come into play????

I really hate when the honda/acura guys say "as soon as my VTEC KICKED in I pulled on the guy like mad" WTF?????

FYI- VTEC is ALWAYS working...and if you know anything about HOW it works than you would never make a comment like..."watch out for VTEC at higher speeds". VTEC attempts to give an engine the best of both worlds, low-end power AND high-end power. The fact is VTEC is a dated technology, other Variable Valve Timing Systems such as toyota's VVT-i and BMWs Double Vanos are light years ahead of Honda's VTEC....the Toyota and BMW systems are INFINITELY variable making them perform much better. Now lets get back to Honda's VTEC system was a good idea...but it lacks refinement...while it gives good high-end horsepower gains, It lacks valuable TORQUE.

I repeat...VTEC doesn't "KICK-IN", it's always working.

Si's are slow as ***** on the highway....an auto max will have NO problem with them at all...
Old 04-10-2002, 04:50 PM

WTF. I cant belive this. I have a stock 96 5spd and I dust Si, Integras with intake, headers, and exhaust. I even kept up w/ a hatchback with turbo over at budweiser.(not a very good driver i suppose) The point is you should be able to dust that honda.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:09 PM

i dont mean to stir up comotion but hp is a calucation on how well the torque can be geared. Stock Si'have (160 at 7,600) (111 ft/lbs. at 7000) and weigh about 2600 (by the way the SI's are 300 pounds heavier than there normal brothers) They can be geared lower to compensate for low torque because they can rev so high. Granted the have no power down low, the mid and high range is very good for a 1.6. The low end lack can be helped by a high launch rpm. With these si's the driver plays a much greater role in time than our max does. The si driver must launch well to get to the powerband quickly and shift exactly at the redline to fall back into dohc land. The maxima makes ok low end so the launch is less crutial and has a flatter powerband so the shift isn't as cruital as the Si's are. Basically it comes down to power to weight ratios the SI's is 16.5 (2600 pounds/160hp) the max is 16.3 (3100 lbs/190 hp). But the max is an auto. So the race comes down to the driver of the SI, the longer the race is the better chance he has at winning because his power is made in the mid to high range which is what the majority of racing uses, but if he can't launch correctly or shirt correctly then its in the bag. Thats a lot of typing but day to day the si must feel like poop.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:14 PM

curious but with the y-pipe, those mid 15 times would drop to what is it again.. like high 14's? mid 14's?

with a y-pipe and stock si, it'd probably be alot easier so get away from an SI.

funny cause i thought you guys were talking about the canadian SI
which is the 127hp here... and the SIR is 160hp
Old 04-11-2002, 05:42 AM

Originally posted by RAZER
WTF. I cant belive this. I have a stock 96 5spd and I dust Si, Integras with intake, headers, and exhaust. I even kept up w/ a hatchback with turbo over at budweiser.(not a very good driver i suppose) The point is you should be able to dust that honda.
My last car was a pretty modified Integra (standard, not auto like my maxima ) and I believe it. Even with auto this car just feels faster. Actual torque is good.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg

When we go to the track no Si's want to race us, actually honda owners dont want to race us at all, even when I didnt have a supercharger they still made an excuse no no I am running him. Only one so far stepped up to the plate and raced Mardigrasmax and that was an integra with 100 shot of Nitrous which ran a 13.0.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:48 AM

you should win...
also don't have a full tank of gas when you race this guy.

damn, the server problems are makin me mad..
Old 04-11-2002, 09:14 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

How does VTEC come into play????

I really hate when the honda/acura guys say "as soon as my VTEC KICKED in I pulled on the guy like mad" WTF?????

FYI- VTEC is ALWAYS working...and if you know anything about HOW it works than you would never make a comment like..."watch out for VTEC at higher speeds". VTEC attempts to give an engine the best of both worlds, low-end power AND high-end power. The fact is VTEC is a dated technology, other Variable Valve Timing Systems such as toyota's VVT-i and BMWs Double Vanos are light years ahead of Honda's VTEC....the Toyota and BMW systems are INFINITELY variable making them perform much better. Now lets get back to Honda's VTEC system was a good idea...but it lacks refinement...while it gives good high-end horsepower gains, It lacks valuable TORQUE.

I repeat...VTEC doesn't "KICK-IN", it's always working.

Si's are slow as ***** on the highway....an auto max will have NO problem with them at all...
I disagree. The VTEC on the Si has two different sets of cam lobes. One set of lobes is a normal cam for cruising and more useable torque and the other set is aggressive and makes topend power. Sure, the VTEC system is always working, but it is only effective in a race when the aggressive lobes are engaged. If you catch an Si below the cam lobe switchover then the Si will exhibit rather slow acceleration and then at 5500rpms an almost small turbo like boost in power happens on the cam switchover (often referred to as "hitting the VTEC"). This is something that can be felt and definately heard. The Si must be kept above 5500rpms in order to perform.

I wouldn't call the 1.8 VVTL-i motor used in the Celica GT-S a better motor than the B16/B18 VTEC motors. Take a good hard look at the dynos and you'll see that the Honda system is MUCH more useable and progreesive. The Toyota system is very laggy and at 6000rpms, the power increases nearly 30fwhp on the switchover. Almost looks like a turbo coming on line. The VTEC has a much more linear delivery. The B18C5 used in the Type R (same size as the GT-S motor) makes more power and torque plus the powerbands are far more useable. I don't think the Toyota setup is more advanced.

The BMW setup is very advanced, but what do you expect from a 50K plus car? If I remember right, the VANOS system doesn't use a throttle body, instead it use a throttle body for EVERY intake collector.

Dave