4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Universal Apexi N1 Muffler vs. Universal HKS "Hiper" Hi-Flow Muffler, opinons please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 11:32 PM

Universal Apexi N1 Muffler vs. Universal HKS "Hiper" Hi-Flow Muffler, opinons please.

Ok, next couple weeks I'll be finishing up my exhaust components. I did a board search, now I need topic related advice and opinions. My setup in a few days will consist of a Place Racing CAI, Warpspeed Aluminized Y-Pipe, RT High-Flow Cat, and Warpspeed Aluminized B-Pipe. I am now looking into mufflers to complete my exhaust setup. I am staying away from mufflers such as Greddy cat-backs that don't have silencer access since I need to have a silencer for those times when I drive my parents around or when I show up at church and don't want my car to be annoyingly loud. I do like a nice deep sound as well with the silencer out. Ok, I am currently driving around with this replica Apex N1/HKS Hiper muffler, but I am planning on getting rid of it for a true Apex N1 or HKS Hiper. I am leaning towards the HKS Hiper muffler due to the fact that I "think" the N1 comes in 2.5" inlet/3.5" outlet for the N/A and 3" inlet/4.5" outlet for turbos where the HKS has a 2.5" inlet/4" outlet for the N/A and a 3" inlet/5" outlet for the turbos. My questions are, I'd like to get the HKS Hiper muffler with the 2.5" inlet/4" outlet, but is it recommended to get the inlet at 2.5" instead of 3" since the rest of my piping is 2.5"? Would adding a 3" inlet muffler affect sound or performance in any way if I really wanted get the muffler with a bigger outlet of 4.5" (Apexi turbo muffler) or even that 5" tip HKS turbo muffler? Also, amongst the Apex and the HKS, which one has a longer shell since I'm guessing the longer the shell the quieter the tone? Well, sorry for the long post, I had to post the details and thoughts of what to get, now do any of you guys have one or the other and what is your thoughts on either? Thanks...

Universal Apexi N1 Muffler...
http://www.apexi-usa.com/exhausts_universal.asp

Universal HKS "Hiper" Hi-Flow Muffler...
http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=847
Old 05-15-2002, 08:15 PM

Re: Universal Apexi N1 Muffler vs. Universal HKS "Hiper" Hi-Flow Muffler, opinons please.

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
Ok, I am currently driving around with this replica Apex N1/HKS Hiper muffler, but I am planning on getting rid of it for a true Apex N1 or HKS Hiper. Universal Apexi N1 Muffler...
http://www.apexi-usa.com/exhausts_universal.asp

Universal HKS "Hiper" Hi-Flow Muffler...
http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=847
what was wrong with your N1 style muffler? why do you want to swap for the real one? how does it sound with a resonator Bpipe?
Old 05-15-2002, 08:17 PM

Re: Re: Universal Apexi N1 Muffler vs. Universal HKS "Hiper" Hi-Flow Muffler, opinons plea

Originally posted by VQdriver

what was wrong with your N1 style muffler? why do you want to swap for the real one? how does it sound with a resonator Bpipe?
My N1 style muffler was loud as hell. I posted this awhile back when I was going to go with the HKS and either a Warpspeed b-pipe or a custom b-pipe, but I ended up getting the Greddy SP for a price cheaper than those 2 put together and I am truly happy that I didn't take the N1 or HKS route because the Greddy is really quiet compared to those style mufflers.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Universal Apexi N1 Muffler vs. Universal HKS "Hiper" Hi-Flow Muffler, opinons

My N1 style muffler was loud as hell. I posted this awhile back when I was going to go with the HKS and either a Warpspeed b-pipe or a custom b-pipe, but I ended up getting the Greddy SP for a price cheaper than those 2 put together and I am truly happy that I didn't take the N1 or HKS route because the Greddy is really quiet compared to those style mufflers.
does your Bpipe have a resonator?
Old 05-15-2002, 08:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Universal Apexi N1 Muffler vs. Universal HKS "Hiper" Hi-Flow Muffler, opin

does your Bpipe have a resonator?
Yea, the Greddy has a resonator. Check out my homepage.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It actually has 2 in fact
Old 05-16-2002, 06:47 AM

How would the Apexi N1 muffler sound with just a CAI? I haven't been able to buy a y-pipe or b-pipe as of yet, but I'd like to maybe go with a muffler first.
I'd like a nice tone, and once I get the money a friend of mine that works for a muffler shop will hook me up with a custom 2.5" b-pipe. I guess after that will come a warpseep or budget y-pipe.

But how does the Apexi sound alone with just a CAI?
Old 05-16-2002, 11:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Universal Apexi N1 Muffler vs. Universal HKS "Hiper" Hi-Flow Muffler,

Yea, the Greddy has a resonator. Check out my homepage.
i'm sorry. what i meant to say was, did your Bpipe have a resonator when you had the N1 on? how did that affect the sound levels?
Old 05-16-2002, 12:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Universal Apexi N1 Muffler vs. Universal HKS "Hiper" Hi-Flow Muffl

i'm sorry. what i meant to say was, did your Bpipe have a resonator when you had the N1 on? how did that affect the sound levels?
Oh, I had a muffler shop weld it on to my factory b-pie whic of course has a resonator. I didn't like how it sounded, it was way too loud. Poeple say the Greddy is loud, but that's nothin compared to that N1 style muffler. The resonators aren't even as big as the stock one and its quieter. It may be because the shell of the Greddy muffler is a lot bigger in diameter.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Universal Apexi N1 Muffler vs. Universal HKS "Hiper" Hi-Flow M

Oh, I had a muffler shop weld it on to my factory b-pie whic of course has a resonator. I didn't like how it sounded, it was way too loud. Poeple say the Greddy is loud, but that's nothin compared to that N1 style muffler. The resonators aren't even as big as the stock one and its quieter. It may be because the shell of the Greddy muffler is a lot bigger in diameter.
Hey I am sorry this doesn't have anything to do with the original post, but I was wondering about the blue LED's in the doors and security light. Was that hard to do?
Old 05-16-2002, 03:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Universal Apexi N1 Muffler vs. Universal HKS "Hiper" Hi-Fl

Originally posted by NATE98GLE
Hey I am sorry this doesn't have anything to do with the original post, but I was wondering about the blue LED's in the doors and security light. Was that hard to do?
Yea, pretty hard. you could see the write-up in the how2 section of maximadriver.com.