4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tasteful exterior mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 06:01 PM

Tasteful exterior mods?

Since I'm expecting a pretty big amount of money over the next few months (birthday, finishing a big job, and a few other things) I'm planning what to spend it on. Of course, a lot is going into my car...

I've already deciced that an intake is a must, probably a popcharger. Going to get a Y-pipe and a FSTB too (rear sway bar later).

I'm still trying to decide what (if any) cosmetic mods to invest in. Somehow I managed to keep my Integra completely clean of exterior rice-y mods for the whole year I owned it (and only one or two engine mods - that car was pretty close to stock when I sold it). Anyway, I know I want an imitation factory spoiler and factory fogs, but everything else is up in the air. Right now the only two things I can think of are clear lenses up front and clear/red taillight (I hate altezza's with a vengeance).

Anything I'm missing? Any other fairly tasteful exterior/interior cosmetic mods that I'm not thinking of?
Old 04-19-2002, 06:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Front clears and rear red/clears ... yeah, that's about it.

Then comes rims and suspensions and/or Stillen Bodykit.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:05 PM

I'd say STILLEN ground effects.

Most tasteful kit for the max. Compliments it soooo much.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by clee130
Front clears and rear red/clears ... yeah, that's about it.

Then comes rims and suspensions and/or Stillen Bodykit.
New wheels (and better tires) are expensive and I'm not interested in blowing all of the money I'm going to have on one thing (even though I admit it's a big deal). Probably sometime near the end of the summer.

I don't know about lowering the car, though. The wheel gap bugs me, but (and you can go ahead and flame me for this) I'm not interested in destroying the car's nice ride to get rid of it. The roads around here are terrible and I've already bottomed out once (at low speed, no less) with the stock height. Then again, I may give in sooner or later...
Old 04-19-2002, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Paradoxish
I don't know about lowering the car, though. The wheel gap bugs me, but (and you can go ahead and flame me for this) I'm not interested in destroying the car's nice ride to get rid of it. The roads around here are terrible and I've already bottomed out once (at low speed, no less) with the stock height. Then again, I may give in sooner or later...
People say the H&R/Tokicos combination is the softest ride and as close to stock you can get.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:26 PM

Re: Tasteful exterior mods?

Since I'm expecting a pretty big amount of money over the next few months (birthday, finishing a big job, and a few other things) I'm planning what to spend it on. Of course, a lot is going into my car...

I've already deciced that an intake is a must, probably a popcharger. Going to get a Y-pipe and a FSTB too (rear sway bar later).

I'm still trying to decide what (if any) cosmetic mods to invest in. Somehow I managed to keep my Integra completely clean of exterior rice-y mods for the whole year I owned it (and only one or two engine mods - that car was pretty close to stock when I sold it). Anyway, I know I want an imitation factory spoiler and factory fogs, but everything else is up in the air. Right now the only two things I can think of are clear lenses up front and clear/red taillight (I hate altezza's with a vengeance).

Anything I'm missing? Any other fairly tasteful exterior/interior cosmetic mods that I'm not thinking of?
tinted windows..........btw - i am sellin new strut bars for 45 bucks
Old 04-23-2002, 07:07 AM

Sorry to bump up an older thread, I have been away. If you get the wing definatly remove the third brake light from the rear window. Every GXE/GLE that I have seen with a wing has the third brake light in the window and IMHO it looks stupid.
Old 04-23-2002, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Anachronism
Sorry to bump up an older thread, I have been away. If you get the wing definatly remove the third brake light from the rear window. Every GXE/GLE that I have seen with a wing has the third brake light in the window and IMHO it looks stupid.
i purchased a 96 gxe this weekend and had it home for 4 hours before i removed the 3rd brake light, i bought the chmsl cover and used some velcro to secure it it looks so much better. and cost under $30 to clean up the look
Old 04-23-2002, 08:37 AM
I'll kill you. I mean it

Re: I'd say STILLEN ground effects.

Originally posted by BRIGBOY
Most tasteful kit for the max. Compliments it soooo much.

Personally I dont find double sided tape a tasteful mod.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:10 AM

I would say get the aluminimum dash kit. They have different kind looks good lots of compliments
Old 04-23-2002, 09:12 AM

Defintely get altezza's, they are the bestest!!
Old 04-23-2002, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by Sway1331

i purchased a 96 gxe this weekend and had it home for 4 hours before i removed the 3rd brake light, i bought the chmsl cover and used some velcro to secure it it looks so much better. and cost under $30 to clean up the look
What is it and where did you get it? I put on the factory spoiler on my GLE and disconnected the OEM 3rd light but don't want to take it out until I have a cover for the nasty hole it leaves. I went to the dealer and they looked at me like I was smoking something when I asked for the "factory" cover. Please tell me what it is.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:42 AM

Re: Tasteful exterior mods?

BTW, those are exactly the exterior mods I have on my car: factory spoiler, factory fogs, and clears up front. I do have 20% tint all the way around and put on MaxSpeed springs to lower it a bit. Ride is excellent and you cant beat the price. I did go ahead and get a whole new front bumper when I did my fogs because I'm not talented at carving out bumpers. All the wiring is already in the car for the fogs except you have to buy a new turn signal mast from the dealer because that's where the oem fog switch is.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:43 AM

Don't forget now ProCarParts.com has "Sport" mirrors now available for our car.
-Cyrus
Old 04-23-2002, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

What is it and where did you get it? I put on the factory spoiler on my GLE and disconnected the OEM 3rd light but don't want to take it out until I have a cover for the nasty hole it leaves. I went to the dealer and they looked at me like I was smoking something when I asked for the "factory" cover. Please tell me what it is.
Strange.

When I had my spoiler installed as part of the deal for buying the car at the Nissan Dealership, they removed the 3rd Brake Light AND put a factory cover on the hole.

Try going to another dealership.

I can take a pic of the cover if you like.

PM Me, because I'm not taking E-Mails from this thread....I have like a million E-Mails from the VI Threads as it is.

IanS
Old 04-23-2002, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

www.courtesynissan.com

Cal them they know..
Old 04-23-2002, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by HondaKiller718

www.courtesynissan.com

Cal them they know..
my local nissan dealer didnt have a clue when i asked for the cover either but when called them with the part number they had no problem getting it for me, make sure you order the correct one to match the color of your interior. if you do a seach on here for either 3rd brake light cover or chmsl cover you will find the part numbers, or call you dealer and ask for the part number for the chmsl cover, chmsl=center high mount stop light.
Old 04-23-2002, 12:45 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Anything but mudflaps, a bra, pinstriping and plastic wind deflectors.
Old 04-23-2002, 12:50 PM

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed
Anything but mudflaps, a bra, pinstriping and plastic wind deflectors.
What's wrong with plastic wind deflectors or splashguards?
Old 04-23-2002, 01:00 PM

Re: Re: :o)

Are you kidding? Next you will be saying beige Maximas look good .

Old 04-23-2002, 01:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by Anachronism

Are you kidding? Next you will be saying beige Maximas look good .

Hey now!....watch it.
Old 04-23-2002, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: :o)

I have to agree with Ptatohed on this one, I hate mud guards too. But most of all, I hate sunroof deflectors with a passion. I swear there must have been some special in the paper or on the radio at one point in time that read, "buy a maxima and get a free sunroof deflector" I see more maximas with those damn things than I do without.
Shaving the emblems, trunk keyhole and radio antenna are tasteful mods IMO.
Old 04-24-2002, 05:25 AM

Originally posted by The Wizard

I have to agree with Ptatohed on this one, I hate mud guards too. But most of all, I hate sunroof deflectors with a passion.
Sunroof deflectors are ugly IMO, but at least they're functional..

(not that I'd buy one, though)
Old 04-24-2002, 06:23 AM
Banned

Originally posted by The Wizard
"buy a maxima and get a free sunroof deflector"
Mine(as well as most others) was there since conception at the good ol Nissan plant...I think the car looks cleaner w/o the deflector but its function over fashion.

Warbucks
Old 04-24-2002, 06:37 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by maximaGTR
I would say get the aluminimum dash kit. They have different kind looks good lots of compliments
maximaGTR, i saw your same car in my NJIT parking deck and i asked myself "what happened to SE, GXE, SE-L, GLE???" what type of max is yours? what is GTR? a new style for 5th gen????
Old 04-24-2002, 01:25 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally posted by meccanoble

maximaGTR, i saw your same car in my NJIT parking deck and i asked myself "what happened to SE, GXE, SE-L, GLE???" what type of max is yours? what is GTR? a new style for 5th gen????

Oh yeah, I meant to add that to my list, thanks for reminding me. GTR emblyms!! I have just one word: WHY?!!!!!!