4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Resonator Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002 | 12:40 PM

Resonator Question

What affect would removing the resonator have on performance or sound?
To me it seems that it would be a like shedding a few extra pounds off.
Old 04-23-2002 | 01:00 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Resonator Question

Originally posted by NATE98GLE
What affect would removing the resonator have on performance or sound?
To me it seems that it would be a like shedding a few extra pounds off.
I never thought about the few extra pounds but I guess that would be true. You would have to put piping in its place but it would be lighter than the resonator. As for performance, I can't give you numbers or anything but, in theory, your exhaust flow will be slightly less constrictive. As for sound I first did my catback without one, it was too loud and then had one put in. It's still too loud! It probably helped 5-10% with the sound. So figure the same sound increase if you were to remove yours. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2002 | 01:06 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Resonator Question

Originally posted by ptatohed

I never thought about the few extra pounds but I guess that would be true. You would have to put piping in its place but it would be lighter than the resonator. As for performance, I can't give you numbers or anything but, in theory, your exhaust flow will be slightly less constrictive. As for sound I first did my catback without one, it was too loud and then had one put in. It's still too loud! It probably helped 5-10% with the sound. So figure the same sound increase if you were to remove yours. Good luck.
Hey Tatorhead, thanks I was just thinking of putting one back on but if its only going to make a 5-10% difference I don't think I will bother.
Old 04-24-2002 | 08:01 AM

Re: Re: Resonator Question

I have a problem with a muffler I had installed. Maybe you can shed some light on this. The muffler I bought was pretty quiet to begin with, but at 2000-3000 RPM it is a low, droning sound. Not too loud, but at low RPM's, it's extremely obnoxious. At higher RPM's, the sound disappears... Any thoughts on whether the resonator would help get rid of those low drones at low RPM's?
Old 04-24-2002 | 01:29 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Resonator Question

Originally posted by maxwillden

I have a problem with a muffler I had installed. Maybe you can shed some light on this. The muffler I bought was pretty quiet to begin with, but at 2000-3000 RPM it is a low, droning sound. Not too loud, but at low RPM's, it's extremely obnoxious. At higher RPM's, the sound disappears... Any thoughts on whether the resonator would help get rid of those low drones at low RPM's?

That's what mine was like! Did you do a full catback or just a muffler? So that's why I went back to the shop and had a resonator put on. Like I said, it helped. The decrease in noise was noticeable - but no where near what I wanted. I can't really help you any more than that, you'll have to decide. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2002 | 01:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Resonator Question

That's what mine was like! Did you do a full catback or just a muffler? So that's why I went back to the shop and had a resonator put on. Like I said, it helped. The decrease in noise was noticeable - but no where near what I wanted. I can't really help you any more than that, you'll have to decide. Good luck.

hmm...i removed the resonator and replaced with just a straight pipe...the sound is louder and drones at lower rpm's....but i do have a stillen muffler...i still need it louder...dammit
Old 04-26-2002 | 07:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Resonator Question

I installed just the muffler, and apparently, I was told by my buddy at the Nissan Dealer that the factory resonator was installed...