4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

terrible metallic squeal from FR brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 06:18 PM

terrible metallic squeal from FR brakes

I have Metal Matrix brakes and from what I have seen they still have pad left on them. However, when I put the car(99 GXE 5-speed, no ABS) in reverse, a low rumble sound is heard until I stop, then when I drive, I hear squealing when I am driving and the road is uneven, almost like the pads are still being applied even when I just cruising down the street or freeway. I can't see any damage to the rotor, caliper, pads or anything, just a terrible sound. What bolts do I take off to remove or swivel the caliper off of the rotor for a better look?
Gramdacious
'99 GXE w/Stillen intake, Remus exhaust, 2" lower strut tower bar, 18" Konig Monsoons w/245/40/18 Kumhos, and Metal Matrix Front brake pads.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:34 AM

You're probably either hitting the pad wear indicator (little metal tab that contacts the rotor when pads get close to worn), or you have a seized/non-retracting piston situation.

I just wore out my Stillen Metal Matrix, and although I didn't get the "rumble sound" when reversing, I did get squealing while rolling forward toward the last few weeks of pad life.

The squealing started when there was slightly more than 1/8" of pad material left on the fronts.

Try this simple test: jack up the front of the car & with the transmission in "N", try to turn the wheel/tire & see if there is any resistance caused by the brakes, preventing the wheel from spinning freely. Compare one side to the other. If there is significant resistance, you have a problem w/ your caliper.

Pick up a Haynes shop manual - it details brakes really well.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: terrible metallic squeal from FR brakes

Originally posted by Gramdacious
I have Metal Matrix brakes and from what I have seen they still have pad left on them. However, when I put the car(99 GXE 5-speed, no ABS) in reverse, a low rumble sound is heard until I stop, then when I drive, I hear squealing when I am driving and the road is uneven, almost like the pads are still being applied even when I just cruising down the street or freeway. I can't see any damage to the rotor, caliper, pads or anything, just a terrible sound. What bolts do I take off to remove or swivel the caliper off of the rotor for a better look?
Gramdacious
'99 GXE w/Stillen intake, Remus exhaust, 2" lower strut tower bar, 18" Konig Monsoons w/245/40/18 Kumhos, and Metal Matrix Front brake pads.
go to www.motorvate.ca and click 'Brakes' - some good pictures there and instructions on how to recondition your brakes

from your symptoms, it sounds like you need to regrease the caliper guide pins