4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Best WAI...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002 | 06:47 PM

Best WAI...

I am planning on getting an intake soon but dont want a CAI due to the fact that I need to drill a hole in my fender. so which of the WAIs is the best? Stillen, Weapon R or JWT Popcharger? And yes, I searched, but the weapon R is fairly new so there was not much info on it. thanx.
Old 04-24-2002 | 07:13 PM

Re: Best WAI...

Originally posted by 95sickGLE
I am planning on getting an intake soon but dont want a CAI due to the fact that I need to drill a hole in my fender. so which of the WAIs is the best? Stillen, Weapon R or JWT Popcharger? And yes, I searched, but the weapon R is fairly new so there was not much info on it. thanx.
There are many CAI that don't require drilling. You just have to look.
http://www.max-performance.net/image...48_23_full.jpg
Old 04-24-2002 | 07:32 PM

No Wepon R

I bought a Wepon R "Dragon" intake last year. I was very dissapointed with the foam, and chromed plastic filter.

Very tacky.
Old 04-24-2002 | 08:01 PM

Re: Re: Best WAI...

Originally posted by SLC I30t
There are many CAI that don't require drilling. You just have to look.
http://www.max-performance.net/image...48_23_full.jpg

wut brand is that ???
Old 04-24-2002 | 08:03 PM

u should try the upper intake cia tube with a k&n, a lot of people say it sounds like a cia with the high end of a pop-charger
Old 04-24-2002 | 08:20 PM

Originally posted by CitrusSpeed
u should try the upper intake cia tube with a k&n, a lot of people say it sounds like a cia with the high end of a pop-charger
Yea, I did that just awhile ago and I liked the gains from the upper pipe/pop-charger setup. I have the lower pipe installed now (PR CAI) just because I got a good deal on the whole kit.
Old 04-24-2002 | 10:22 PM
mb1

Take a look at my Weapon R GD.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=114151
Old 04-25-2002 | 07:42 AM

Actually its a prototype design for Max-performance, designed by Underground Design & Development. I'm testing it for longevity tests, and performance. So far its been pretty cool-we are going to try a vacuum test that someone spoke of on another thread.
Old 04-25-2002 | 08:27 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Someone from here did a test on the stock intake system and found that it is actually pretty good. The Air Box & Filter assy has little if no restrictions to the intake. Our restrictions come from the actualy cold air scoup that sits over the radistor.

The test showed that with the stock cold air scoup tubing removed from the stock air box, intake vacuume was almost nothing at WOT, indicating no restrictions by the Air box and filter. With the stock intake scoup and plumbing in place I believe about 1/2 inch of vacuume was drawn at WOT.

There was also a thread on here which measured air intake temps, in which case the stock intake does pretty good at keeping things cool.

This got me thinking......

On our 4th gen max's, well mine anyhow, there is an elbow that turns off the scoup assy that goes into a "Dead Air" box under the battery. I think this box is only to reduce intake noise. I removed that box, put a pipe on the elbow and used that as an alternative intake route to releave some restrictions on the stock system. I routed the pipe down under the battery, there is cold air down there. I've driven the car for two days like this and believe I have a bit more pull, especially around town when I jump on it. I think the ability for the system to pull more air in is achieved with this little mod. OSCAI as some call it. I went one step further last night. I took that box which sat under the battery try and drilled a few holes in the back of it with a 1/2 inch drill bit. Now the box sits right under the battery, away from any heat generating devices in what I consider a "cool spot" down low in the engine compartment. There is also a few slits in the inner finder area down there which channel a bit of cool air into this area. Now my intake system looks like stock but I'm absolutely sure I have the ability to pull more unrestricted cool air in. There now two air channels the system can use, instead of just the single narrow scoup.

Only a true dyno test can verify wheather or not the car makes a few more hp, but I feel a harder pull when my transmission shifts. I used to get a slight drag feeling when the auto shifted from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd ect.. Now it just seems to pull pretty hard when the tranny hits the next gear. Could this be attributed to better air flow? I think so.

I have just made the first GLSCAI Good Looking Stock Cold Air Intake!

Old 05-03-2002 | 12:21 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Someone from here did a test on the stock intake system and found that it is actually pretty good. The Air Box & Filter assy has little if no restrictions to the intake. Our restrictions come from the actualy cold air scoup that sits over the radistor.

The test showed that with the stock cold air scoup tubing removed from the stock air box, intake vacuume was almost nothing at WOT, indicating no restrictions by the Air box and filter. With the stock intake scoup and plumbing in place I believe about 1/2 inch of vacuume was drawn at WOT.

There was also a thread on here which measured air intake temps, in which case the stock intake does pretty good at keeping things cool.

This got me thinking......

On our 4th gen max's, well mine anyhow, there is an elbow that turns off the scoup assy that goes into a "Dead Air" box under the battery. I think this box is only to reduce intake noise. I removed that box, put a pipe on the elbow and used that as an alternative intake route to releave some restrictions on the stock system. I routed the pipe down under the battery, there is cold air down there. I've driven the car for two days like this and believe I have a bit more pull, especially around town when I jump on it. I think the ability for the system to pull more air in is achieved with this little mod. OSCAI as some call it. I went one step further last night. I took that box which sat under the battery try and drilled a few holes in the back of it with a 1/2 inch drill bit. Now the box sits right under the battery, away from any heat generating devices in what I consider a "cool spot" down low in the engine compartment. There is also a few slits in the inner finder area down there which channel a bit of cool air into this area. Now my intake system looks like stock but I'm absolutely sure I have the ability to pull more unrestricted cool air in. There now two air channels the system can use, instead of just the single narrow scoup.

Only a true dyno test can verify wheather or not the car makes a few more hp, but I feel a harder pull when my transmission shifts. I used to get a slight drag feeling when the auto shifted from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd ect.. Now it just seems to pull pretty hard when the tranny hits the next gear. Could this be attributed to better air flow? I think so.

I have just made the first GLSCAI Good Looking Stock Cold Air Intake!

Any pics of this setup ? Did you use any screen or filter at the bottom of the elbow add-on pipe to keep out debris ? If so what did you use ?