4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

a rather specific suspension questoin, i would have searched otherwise

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 09:07 AM

a rather specific suspension questoin, i would have searched otherwise

I am getting eibachs and am curious if i have to go with the Toks or the KYBs. I really dont want to spend that much money, id rather just get some that will work. Anybody face the same dilemma, what did you do? what did you pay?
Old 04-28-2002, 09:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Go with the KYB AGXs, many people say the Tokicos are not strong enough to support such a firm spring like Eibachs and Sprints.
-Cyrus
Old 04-28-2002, 11:05 AM
SLOW

Originally posted by Vyrus
Go with the KYB AGXs, many people say the Tokicos are not strong enough to support such a firm spring like Eibachs and Sprints.
-Cyrus
The tokico strut made for the maxima is a POS. There is no comparison between them and KYB AGXs. If you want to spend less money, the KYB GR2 is a good, non adjustable strut. That's what I have, not by choice but because AGXs weren't available a year ago for the Maxima. I have them with Ground Controls, the stiffest springs out there, and they do a good job of handling a spring even this stiff (500 front 350ish rear).
Old 04-28-2002, 11:05 PM

thanks neal

Originally posted by Nealoc187

The tokico strut made for the maxima is a POS. There is no comparison between them and KYB AGXs. If you want to spend less money, the KYB GR2 is a good, non adjustable strut. That's what I have, not by choice but because AGXs weren't available a year ago for the Maxima. I have them with Ground Controls, the stiffest springs out there, and they do a good job of handling a spring even this stiff (500 front 350ish rear).
ill look into those, know a good place to buy from?
Old 04-29-2002, 08:58 AM

agx and eibach

that's the combo i'm going with. I did do a search and it seems that the most popular combo is agx and h&r. some say the eibach is a bit more stiff. I had eibachs on my last car with bilsteins and they were fine. h&r are cool but I got a better deal on the eibachs and besides i figure if your going to lower your car and want performance you'd want it to be somewhat stiff.
as for where to order. go do a search!!!!
just kidding i'm not a search ****....go tot he for sale page...some guy tomcat started a thread for someone in CT that's selling them 350 shipped. now that's cheap!!!! good people to work with....I haven't installed my stuff yet...I'm still trying to figure our if I need to change all the other stuff ...like strut bearings and mounts
Old 04-29-2002, 10:03 AM

Re: agx and eibach

I've got the AGX/Eibach combo on my car. love it. it's harsh on down town potholed streets, but otherwise its great - much less squat and dive and very little body roll. But if your maxima is a daily driver on rough streets, I'd look into the H&R springs. I've heard that Tokicos are actually pretty good if you use your stock springs. Otherwise, KYB.

Cattman performance, Greg (custommaxima.com), Phuong (eatrice.com or something like that), and tirerack.com have AGX's the last time i checked. These places seem to have the best prices and service.

Originally posted by 95maximase
that's the combo i'm going with. I did do a search and it seems that the most popular combo is agx and h&r. some say the eibach is a bit more stiff. I had eibachs on my last car with bilsteins and they were fine. h&r are cool but I got a better deal on the eibachs and besides i figure if your going to lower your car and want performance you'd want it to be somewhat stiff.
as for where to order. go do a search!!!!
just kidding i'm not a search ****....go tot he for sale page...some guy tomcat started a thread for someone in CT that's selling them 350 shipped. now that's cheap!!!! good people to work with....I haven't installed my stuff yet...I'm still trying to figure our if I need to change all the other stuff ...like strut bearings and mounts
Old 04-29-2002, 11:18 AM

If you do a search youll notice that quite a few members with Tockico shocks, the shocks have gone bad on them and I believe they come with one year warranty. You pay what $270 for non adjustable crappy Tockico blues they break now your stuck like chuck spending a little bit more cash to replace them, now do it right the first time and pay an additional $100 something like that, get the adjustable shocks and you dont have to worry about buying new ones or replacing blown Tockico shocks. KYBS AGX (great shocks for the Money)
Old 04-29-2002, 09:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hello:

I coined a new term this past weekend...
the new term for the day is "basketball struts"
I made up this terminology because the tires bounce like a basketball on the road with Tokikos if the surface is less the super smooth.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:23 PM

Re: Re: agx and eibach

hey what combination of setttings have you tried with your agx/eibach? What are you rolling on now?
I'll be installing them next week....
I think I read somewhere that most people go 4 in the front and 2 in the back but I could be wrong. I'll do search when I get closer to putting them in...just wanted to know what you were rolling on.

Allen
Old 05-01-2002, 06:32 AM

Re: Re: Re: agx and eibach

I had it on 2 in front and 4 in the rear and it handled pretty well. I've lowered it to 1 and 1 because the roads in my area are pretty rough. I do a lot of city driving and a little bit of highway driving on the weekends. not much racing.

Originally posted by 95maximase
hey what combination of setttings have you tried with your agx/eibach? What are you rolling on now?
I'll be installing them next week....
I think I read somewhere that most people go 4 in the front and 2 in the back but I could be wrong. I'll do search when I get closer to putting them in...just wanted to know what you were rolling on.

Allen
Old 05-06-2002, 11:13 PM

Re: Re: agx and eibach

Originally posted by mango95se
I've got the AGX/Eibach combo on my car. love it. it's harsh on down town potholed streets, but otherwise its great - much less squat and dive and very little body roll. But if your maxima is a daily driver on rough streets, I'd look into the H&R springs. I
\
What suspension parts did you swap out when you did your install. did you do any kind of spring wrap or isolation sleeve change. Thanks ,getting ready for install of kyb and eibach in a couple of weeks and I still haven't come to a solid conclusion as to what to change out. I only know I definitely need to change the boots because mine are torn.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:05 AM

KONI

Vinipux

p.s. otherwise, kyb's, tokico's don't last in maximas
Old 05-07-2002, 06:49 AM

Re: thanks neal

Originally posted by Justin95SE

ill look into those, know a good place to buy from?
you caan get kyb gr2 at summitracing.com for 280 shipped and at discounttiredirect.com for 288 shipped for all 4 struts
thats where im getting mine.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by Vinipux
KONI

Vinipux

p.s. otherwise, kyb's, tokico's don't last in maximas

Adjust the shocks the way you like your car to feel and handle forget what the other guy has his set at, forget that 4 and 2 play with it until you find a setting that you like. I can care less what everyone else has theis set at, I got my full stiff on the front and 75% stiff in the rear, to some people that may be too stiff but handles pretty good.