4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wiper Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 07:38 AM

Wiper Troubles

Okay, here's an interesting problem: The other day, I was driving in a downpour on the freeway, and when I turned my wipers on high they stopped in the middle of the windshield after a few seconds. I moved the lever up and down several times and they started working again, but if I left them on high they would stop without warning. It only seems to happen on the freeway (70-80 mph) and only with the wipers on high. Any ideas?
Old 04-30-2002, 08:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My guess would be that some kind of circuit breaker is continuously tripping when your wipers are on high, drawing alot of current thru the wiper motor. Do you have any upgraded lights on your car, like 80/100 instead of the standard 45/65 watts bulbs?? The headlights bulbs may be un-related b/c they may be on separate circuits, but think along those lines as to what changed on your car that is on the same circuit as the wipers. Or simply un-do some of the electrical changes you made.

DW
Old 04-30-2002, 08:54 AM

I haven't touched anything electrical. I wonder if maybe the motor is just getting weak? (I have about 130k miles.)
Old 05-01-2002, 04:30 PM

Bump, I'm really baffled.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:56 PM

OK, try this:

take your fuse out for your wipers, 20 Amps, then put it back in.

Really. I'm not kidding.

DW
Old 09-10-2003, 03:25 PM
Mas
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by brandonj
Okay, here's an interesting problem: The other day, I was driving in a downpour on the freeway, and when I turned my wipers on high they stopped in the middle of the windshield after a few seconds. I moved the lever up and down several times and they started working again, but if I left them on high they would stop without warning. It only seems to happen on the freeway (70-80 mph) and only with the wipers on high. Any ideas?
Have you tried "dwapenyi" suggestion to reinsert the fuse? I have 95 GXE and has the same problem and I want to know you tried and worked or not. Please let me know. I will try that too. Does your wiper make groaning noise when it goes fast mode? I tried parked position and water hosed at windshield and happened so I don't think it only happens on the freeway.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:43 PM
Mas
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
OK, try this:

take your fuse out for your wipers, 20 Amps, then put it back in.

Really. I'm not kidding.

DW
I tried cleaning the fuse contact and the problem did not go away. Do you have any other idea what is causing this problem. It seems wiper speed slows down at high and then it stops. Help me if you can.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:25 PM
Mas
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by brandonj
Did you find any solution to this problem since you posted it?
Old 10-09-2003, 12:41 AM

Has anyone unplugged the electrical connector at the motor and cleaned the contacts there? I think it would be worth a try. Or another possibility is the brushes in the motor are wearing out, just like what happens with power tools and other electrical motors. It's possible the problem is on the switch side, so try "jiggling" it to see if the problem persists.

I'm not even sure if my wipers work on high or not. Rain X is an excellent product!

Dave
Old 10-09-2003, 06:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would change the fuse. that was happening with my mother in laws chrysler sebring and when i played with the fuse they worked. Change it and see what happens.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:01 AM

As well as fiddling with the fuse, there's a relay in the engine bay for the wiper. Try removing and replacing that. If you still have trouble, get another relay from a junkyard or dealer. If that doesn't work, perhaps what Dave Holmes suggested may help.

DW

Originally Posted by Mas
I tried cleaning the fuse contact and the problem did not go away. Do you have any other idea what is causing this problem. It seems wiper speed slows down at high and then it stops. Help me if you can.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:49 AM

reviving an old thread

I'm going to try to revive an old thread. Last night I went to pick up my feance from work and my wipers worked perfectly. This morning after a night of snow, after i cleaned off my car and turned on the wipers nothing happened. I can hear the motor working, but i'm assuming there is a linkage problem connecting the motor to the wipers. I looked under the hood but don't see anything that moves. Is it located under the grill thing at the bottem of the windshield? Is that hard to get off?

Thnaks

Sean
Old 01-12-2009, 08:52 AM

Bassbreaker, the linkages are under the "cowl" at the base of the windshield. To get that off, the wiper arms need to be removed (mark you wiper blade position on windshield prior to removal for ease of returning them to proper position on installation. The blade center should be 1.57"-2.20" above cowl top rubber on passenger side, 1.46"-1.85" driver's side), two screws near the wiper arms (mine are phillips screws, but I put them there years ago. I can't remember if they were originally clips or not), and some plastic clips for the weatherstrip that easily pulls off. Don't forget to remove the washer hose from its clip on the passenger side. Once removed, you can get to the linkages (been awhile since mine's been off, but I think there is a plastic cover over the pasenger side "hole", which is where the motor linkage is).

While the covers are taken off, turn the wipers on and visually check things. This will narrow down the problem immensely.

Is it possible things were just frozen? I'd use a little heat to thaw things out and go from there (not enough heat to damage anything. A hairdryer would be sufficient). If they work after warmed up, I'd take things apart and lube the linkages with a white lithium or general purpose grease.

If they still don't work after thawed out, I'd check the linkages throughout the "assembly" to check for binding or stipped connections. Also possible the linkage came disconnected at the wiper motor (its a ball joint covered with a rubber boot).

Hope this helps.

Dave
Old 01-12-2009, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Holmes
Bassbreaker, the linkages are under the "cowl" at the base of the windshield. To get that off, the wiper arms need to be removed (mark you wiper blade position on windshield prior to removal for ease of returning them to proper position on installation. The blade center should be 1.57"-2.20" above cowl top rubber on passenger side, 1.46"-1.85" driver's side), two screws near the wiper arms (mine are phillips screws, but I put them there years ago. I can't remember if they were originally clips or not), and some plastic clips for the weatherstrip that easily pulls off. Don't forget to remove the washer hose from its clip on the passenger side. Once removed, you can get to the linkages (been awhile since mine's been off, but I think there is a plastic cover over the pasenger side "hole", which is where the motor linkage is).

While the covers are taken off, turn the wipers on and visually check things. This will narrow down the problem immensely.

Is it possible things were just frozen? I'd use a little heat to thaw things out and go from there (not enough heat to damage anything. A hairdryer would be sufficient). If they work after warmed up, I'd take things apart and lube the linkages with a white lithium or general purpose grease.

If they still don't work after thawed out, I'd check the linkages throughout the "assembly" to check for binding or stipped connections. Also possible the linkage came disconnected at the wiper motor (its a ball joint covered with a rubber boot).

Hope this helps.

Dave
wow, someone replied..thanks dave.
I know it isn't frozen cause I drove 15 miles and that would have been plenty of time for them to thaw out. I do think it is the linkage ball joint on the motor..i'm going to check it out todaywhen i gte home. Wipers are sort of a necessity..lol

thanks again man

Sean
Old 01-12-2009, 02:59 PM

atleast urs work sometimes, mine snapped off my windshield
Old 01-12-2009, 03:50 PM

Had a the same thing happen a few years ago, in JANUARY of all times! While a Tennessee January is prolly nothing compared to yours, it was still a pain!

In my case it was the little gearbox that hangs off the end of the wiper motor, at the pass side near the top of the firewall. One of the little plastic gears had lost its teeth.

I only point this out because I thought it was the linkage too, and didn't discover otherwise until I had ripped the linkage cover out and saw that the linkage was fine. The motor comes out in your hand with 3 or 4 bolts, I'd yank it out and turn on the wiper switch to make sure that the gearbox isn't the cause.

I don't think I paid more than 10 bucks at a junkyard for the motor with the gearbox, and it's not given me any more trouble in 3 or 4 years.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by 96gxe5spd
Had a the same thing happen a few years ago, in JANUARY of all times! While a Tennessee January is prolly nothing compared to yours, it was still a pain!

In my case it was the little gearbox that hangs off the end of the wiper motor, at the pass side near the top of the firewall. One of the little plastic gears had lost its teeth.

I only point this out because I thought it was the linkage too, and didn't discover otherwise until I had ripped the linkage cover out and saw that the linkage was fine. The motor comes out in your hand with 3 or 4 bolts, I'd yank it out and turn on the wiper switch to make sure that the gearbox isn't the cause.

I don't think I paid more than 10 bucks at a junkyard for the motor with the gearbox, and it's not given me any more trouble in 3 or 4 years.
I ripped it open yesterday and seen that the linkage from the motor to where it connects to the wipers was wore out. Both of the "ball joints" were worn and the linkage wasn't attached at either side. So all I need is that 1ft metal linkage with good "female" ball joint ends. Mine were pretty bad. I could put it back on but it wouldn't snap into place and when i turned the wipers on again it just fell off. Aww well, i'll call nissan todsay to see if they have it.

EDIT

called the dealer and they want $29 bucks for it...thats cheaper than any place i've checked into...including ebay..ebay was 29.99 + shipping...so all in all..the dealer ain't too too bad I spose

Last edited by Bassbreaker; 01-13-2009 at 05:28 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:28 AM

Sweet!
Old 11-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

well......

ok, i know this is not a 6 gen forum, but dont hate me. i feel like an idiot because i bought some new wipers, and i easily got the passenger side blade off, but cant get the drivers side off for my life. i have a 2004 max. sorry for posting on this thread, and kinda thread jacking, but i couldnt find a more related post anywhere, using search or even an answer through google. HELP!!!!