4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch...Do I need a new one ?? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 08:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Clutch...Do I need a new one ?? HELP

I really dont know much about Transmissions and Clutch's but if my clutch is slipping only when I get on it and when I try to cherp the tires, maybe there is something else wrong like the hydrollics or something else wrong with another part of the setup ?? Today it rained and I could not get my tires to break out in 2nd ...all I got was clutch spin on a 30K mile old clutch and it has been doin this since I bought the car... I dont want to buy the ACT and put it in and have it still slip because of something else bad with the car...PLEASE help !!!!!
-Matt
Old 04-30-2002, 08:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I sometimes have the same problem. My clutch slips sometimes if I try to do a burn out or shift fast. For some reason when it began do this I would drive it really nice for a week or two and it would be fine. It wouldn't slip when I shifted fast etc. But if I drove it too hard, it would start slipping again. I definitely think it is your clutch. In my time here, I have heard many complaints about the quality of Nissan clutches. Especially if you have mods. The clutch just doesn't seem like it's able to grip with the extra horsepower. I had my clutch replaced about a year ago with a Nissan clutch, it started slipping after a couple weeks. I have managed to make it last this long though. It has it's good days and it's bads. I would get an ACT, I am saving for one now!
Old 04-30-2002, 09:27 PM

Matty, I feel like I know you. Get the ACT II, install it and piece of cake. Just do it. It's that simple. You'll love it.
Old 05-01-2002, 02:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

But maybe my problem isnt the clutch...when I shift fast, not giong fast, I feel the clutch skip

-matt
Old 05-01-2002, 05:27 PM

I hate clutches.

I am on #6 right now (dont ask... thank god I dont have 6 clutches worth of money in there, most of them come free from warranties etc) but I did just have a nissan factory one put in..

My clutch still slips sometimes, VERY randomly.. - I have finalllly been told it is probably my flywheel - having been shaved too far down to grip the clutch anymore. I'm prayin that is the case b/c I cant take this anymore haha, so im goin to swap out fly's here shortly.
Old 05-01-2002, 08:08 PM
rmb

Originally posted by hlh0501
I hate clutches.

I am on #6 right now (dont ask... thank god I dont have 6 clutches worth of money in there, most of them come free from warranties etc) but I did just have a nissan factory one put in..

My clutch still slips sometimes, VERY randomly.. - I have finalllly been told it is probably my flywheel - having been shaved too far down to grip the clutch anymore. I'm prayin that is the case b/c I cant take this anymore haha, so im goin to swap out fly's here shortly.
Where is that garage in your sig? I'd kill to have a garage like that...

-RMB
Old 05-01-2002, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by rmb

Where is that garage in your sig? I'd kill to have a garage like that...

-RMB
haha, lexington,ky - that shop only holds 3 world records.... for fastest cars. BP supra single turbo - IRS (indep. rear susp.) supraTT, and fastest 300zxTT in the world (runs may5th at clay city...)
i like it too ! ! some smart guys at RTC.
Old 05-02-2002, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by matty
But maybe my problem isnt the clutch...when I shift fast, not giong fast, I feel the clutch skip

-matt
In any event is sounds like either your pressure plate or clutch disk. Replace them or get access to the tranny to see what else could be wrong. TO test your clutch there are two ways; while cruising in 4th gear mash the gas all the way down. IF the RPMs go up faster than the car feels to pick up speed it might be the clutch. Another method is to sit still and set the parking brake, then slowly let the clutch out w/ the car in 4th gear. A good clutch will stall the car all most immediately. If your car fails either of these tests replace the clutch. You have checked the clutch fluid level too, right?
Old 05-02-2002, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by Toolrocks

In any event is sounds like either your pressure plate or clutch disk. Replace them or get access to the tranny to see what else could be wrong. TO test your clutch there are two ways; while cruising in 4th gear mash the gas all the way down. IF the RPMs go up faster than the car feels to pick up speed it might be the clutch. Another method is to sit still and set the parking brake, then slowly let the clutch out w/ the car in 4th gear. A good clutch will stall the car all most immediately. If your car fails either of these tests replace the clutch. You have checked the clutch fluid level too, right?
yep those are good ways -- but tell me, how do you diagnose this.. sometimes in 5th gear are 10miles per hour i can take it to redline almost immediately b/c its slippin so bad, and 10minutes later I can lose control shifting from first to second b/c of tirespin and the clutch catchin so well... ? dont worry about it, just showin how freaky my clutch is , well, actually - my flywheel.
Old 05-02-2002, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by hlh0501

yep those are good ways -- but tell me, how do you diagnose this.. sometimes in 5th gear are 10miles per hour i can take it to redline almost immediately b/c its slippin so bad, and 10minutes later I can lose control shifting from first to second b/c of tirespin and the clutch catchin so well... ? dont worry about it, just showin how freaky my clutch is , well, actually - my flywheel.
In any event there is slippage at the clutch/flywheel. It can be sporatic (spelling) due to glazing on the clutch disk or flywheel. Mine used to act this way too. When they, or you, replace the clutch; the flywheel is either turned (similar to rotors) or is lightly sanded to remove glazing and any contaminants that may have gotten on the flywheel. Good luck. I get torque steer consitently now.