4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Supercharging

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 08:54 AM

Supercharging

I have a 96 se 5spd, with a weapon-R intake, tenzo-R muffler, and a venom 400 computer. I would like to supercharge my car but I don't want to use the stillen kit. I know that this can be done I just don't know where to get the parts needed to put the supercharger on and have it functional without destroying my engine. I am going to purchase a vortech V1 supercharger from vortech, but I am completly stummed as for what else to get and where to get it. I know I need A fuel pressure regulator and other various components to increase fuel flow but I don't know which regulator to get and I don't know what other things to get to keep the car from pinging. Also where do I get a mounting bracket and the intake tube running from the supercharger to the throttle body. any advice will be apreciated. thanks
Old 05-01-2002, 08:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stillen kit = Vortech supercharger
Old 05-01-2002, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by clee130
Stillen kit = Vortech supercharger
Old 05-01-2002, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by HondaKiller718

I said I don't want to purchase the kit from stillen I am almost positive I can do it for cheaper and have it done better.
Old 05-01-2002, 09:30 AM

Re: Supercharging

hi you sad you have venom 400 so it's helped or not
Old 05-01-2002, 09:36 AM

supercharger kit

So you want the supercharger kit but you don't want to buy it through Stillen? That is simple enough, but you will have a very time consuming and more expensive kit on your hands. For all the custom fabrication work and higher priced parts that you are going to have to pay for. Not to mention that you could have it done a lot quicker than your pieced together kit. I could be wrong and you could be the first and only person that makes a supercharger kit from scratch better than Stillen does. If you are then my hat is off to you. Good luck anyway.

BOOM!
*starts the car for the first time with home made SC kit*

"What went wrong?"

*scratching his head*

Originally posted by 96SE5Spd

I said I don't want to purchase the kit from stillen I am almost positive I can do it for cheaper and have it done better.
Old 05-01-2002, 09:37 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I'm sorry you wasted your money on the Venom 400...
Old 05-01-2002, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg
I'm sorry you wasted your money on the Venom 400...

Save all your money time and effort and just buy a stillen S/C kit!!
why spend all that money on something thats already made for the car.
Old 05-01-2002, 09:58 AM

how about JWT ECU???? it's help a lot?
Old 05-01-2002, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by JAY25

Save all your money time and effort and just buy a stillen S/C kit!!
why spend all that money on something thats already made for the car.

It wouldn't cost that much if I could find a stillen intake pipe, used, and mounting bracket, and then buy a Vortech V1 $1700. Stillen uses the V2 and I personaly want a louder operating supercharger. I believe that with the right parts all can be bought and installed for under 4 grand
Old 05-01-2002, 10:08 AM

the venom was a waste of money and it causes my car to ping I will be removing it very soon.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:35 AM

My friend... you are a dolt...

If you want a V1 SC, and you are willing to pay for STILLEN's plate, crossover pipe, and the like, then buy a used V1 kit. Hang around and wait for one to become available.

No one in their right mind will sell you the mounting plate, crossover pipe, and not sell you the blower. That plate is what makes the kit worth what it is.

Where are you going to find a used mounting plate THAT DOESN'T come with the blower...

But, don't forget all the other stuff that is part of the kit... if you think it is something as simple as a bracket, a crossover pipe, a fuel pressure riser and your off and running, you are sadly, sadly mistaken.

I personally would like to see you mount the SC plate without the Cam Sensor relocation piece, or without moving some of the fuse boxes. Are you going to custom make the Cam Sensor retainer? I think not. Your going to custom make the drain back plate? Or custom make the modified thermostat housing?

Do a search and you will see where myself and others have analyzed it countless times. Trying to reproduce the Stillen kit is an excercise in futility. As much as they suck to deal with, at least they went through the trouble to design a kit for us, as flawed as it may be, it does have a very good foundation.

Newbies and their grandiose schemes to save money on the Stillen kit...
Old 05-01-2002, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by delio
I personally would like to see you mount the SC plate without the Cam Sensor relocation piece... Are you going to custom make the Cam Sensor retainer? I think not.
Dont be so quick here, I did just that! Muuuhahahahaahaha!!!

96SE5Spd, Get the stillen kit and call it a day.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

Dont be so quick here, I did just that! Muuuhahahahaahaha!!!

96SE5Spd, Get the stillen kit and call it a day.
jOo are not most people Walfred
Old 05-01-2002, 12:13 PM

jOo are not most people Walfred
First of all I never said that I could just bolt it on with a bracket,fuel pressure regulator, intake pipe and supercharger. I know that there is alot of other stuff invoved and that is why i am asking questions so don't be an *** about answering them. do you not think that some one might have had supercharger failure and might have the parts that I need. Or do you even think. I am reaserching this so I will know exactly what I need not to be critized for not giving the exact parts that I might use or need for this project. Critism is welcome only if it is helpful. so if you're going to be an *** don't even bother.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:39 PM

First of all I never said that I could just bolt it on with a bracket,fuel pressure regulator, intake pipe and supercharger. I know that there is alot of other stuff invoved and that is why i am asking questions so don't be an *** about answering them. do you not think that some one might have had supercharger failure and might have the parts that I need. Or do you even think. I am reaserching this so I will know exactly what I need not to be critized for not giving the exact parts that I might use or need for this project. Critism is welcome only if it is helpful. so if you're going to be an *** don't even bother.
If you give off the impression that you have no clue what you are talking about then you will be treated as such. I will criticize as I please. Grow to live with it, it is the internet, people get flamed here on a daily basis.

And **IF** someone had supercharger failure, Vortech will give you a discount on a new Supercharger even if you just have the casing for an old one. So in any way concievable, it is still almost impossible to fathom someone selling just the plate and crossover pipe to someone.

Hence my suggestion to buy it used. I just returned my V1 to Vortech a month ago for a V2. If I had known you would have wanted it, I would have sold it to you, and you could have waited for the next umpteen years for the miracle deal on a SC plate and crossover pipe.

Do the math, your willing to pay 1852 for a new SC... Do you really think someone that has shelled out 3500 bux for a SC kit from Stillen is going to sell you the SC plate and such for 500 bux? or something ridiculous like that? No not going to happen, that person would have to recoup their investment somehow, even if it meant a blower rebuild from Vortech on their "blown" sc. Max cost for that 900 bux, and then they could sell the kit used if they wanted to for a minimum of 2400 bux if it had a rebuilt blower in it. Any way you slice it, no one would part with the SC plate and crossover pipe, in any scenario for the kind of money that it would take for you to realize any significant cost savings. Again...going back to my suggestion of buying the whole kit used. My point to you, is that a homemade kit is not feasible, and will not generate the kind of cost savings you are striving for.

Also, instead of complaining about my response to your post... why don't you respond constructively to my points about the custom thermostat, oil drain back plate, etc...

You want to have an adult discussion on this, lets... I just volleyed back to you.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:56 PM
Administrator

cheap f#cks always trying to make **** mother f#cking work for cheap and end up spending more money in the long run..

go ahead.. do it for the sake of you being the only idiot who did it first..
Old 05-01-2002, 01:22 PM

Why go s/c when you can turbo?

Hee hee.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:55 PM

If you give off the impression that you have no clue what you are talking about then you will be treated as such. I will criticize as I please. Grow to live with it, it is the internet, people get flamed here on a daily basis.

And **IF** someone had supercharger failure, Vortech will give you a discount on a new Supercharger even if you just have the casing for an old one. So in any way concievable, it is still almost impossible to fathom someone selling just the plate and crossover pipe to someone.

Hence my suggestion to buy it used. I just returned my V1 to Vortech a month ago for a V2. If I had known you would have wanted it, I would have sold it to you, and you could have waited for the next umpteen years for the miracle deal on a SC plate and crossover pipe.

Do the math, your willing to pay 1852 for a new SC... Do you really think someone that has shelled out 3500 bux for a SC kit from Stillen is going to sell you the SC plate and such for 500 bux? or something ridiculous like that? No not going to happen, that person would have to recoup their investment somehow, even if it meant a blower rebuild from Vortech on their "blown" sc. Max cost for that 900 bux, and then they could sell the kit used if they wanted to for a minimum of 2400 bux if it had a rebuilt blower in it. Any way you slice it, no one would part with the SC plate and crossover pipe, in any scenario for the kind of money that it would take for you to realize any significant cost savings. Again...going back to my suggestion of buying the whole kit used. My point to you, is that a homemade kit is not feasible, and will not generate the kind of cost savings you are striving for.

Also, instead of complaining about my response to your post... why don't you respond constructively to my points about the custom thermostat, oil drain back plate, etc...

You want to have an adult discussion on this, lets... I just volleyed back to you.

I agree with Del, you dont know what your talking about dont try to sound like you do,

Jay
Old 05-01-2002, 02:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SprintMax
cheap f#cks always trying to make **** mother f#cking work for cheap and end up spending more money in the long run..

go ahead.. do it for the sake of you being the only idiot who did it first..
Such bad language from the bot, you're not going to flame me now are you?
Old 05-01-2002, 03:30 PM

Well I figured since everyone says that you have to do tuning on stillen's kit, and that parts had to be replaced to get it to work right that it would probably cost less to have someone else go ahead and do it right the first time. Thus my reason for not wanting to buy from stillen. I wrote this to find out what needed to be done to the car first in order to put a supercharger on it. I would call stillen and just ask what is included in the kit or if i could get a kit with out a supercharger but I figured i would not save money or get help from them. So again I will ask what needs to be done to the car in order to supercharge it if you can't tell me then don't reply I want constuctive critizism not your unwanted opinion of my integrity as a person. I apologize about getting angry at you I wanted a profesional opinion about this matter and this is not the place to get it since most of you have no real mechanical experiance and do not work at performance shops, If someone who is a mechanic, engineer, or someone who works at an import shop and has valuble information about doing this project will respond without being a ***** I have more questions to ask. Thanks
Old 05-01-2002, 03:41 PM

I wanted a profesional opinion about this matter and this is not the place to get it since most of you have no real mechanical experiance and do not work at performance shops
I would SERIOUSLY consider editing your previous post before you get
Old 05-01-2002, 04:03 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I wanted a profesional opinion about this matter and this is not the place to get it since most of you have no real mechanical experiance and do not work at performance shops, If someone who is a mechanic, engineer, or someone who works at an import shop and has valuble information about doing this project will respond without being a ***** I have more questions to ask. Thanks
What does this have to do working at an import shop? Almost all rice shops will not have experience in installing the supercharger. Go to your local shops and ask them what's involved.

I would bet 99.9% of them will give you a blank look and go

The ones who answered your questions have actually installed the SC, so they will have more info than any rice shop.
Old 05-01-2002, 04:14 PM

Ok someone who tunes cars and really knows about what they're doing. not someone who has only worked on their car.
Old 05-01-2002, 04:16 PM

If you really want a V1 supercharger....

If you really want a V1 supercharger, send Turbo95max a private message or e-mail. There is a Stillen (Vortech) V1 supercharger kit laying in his garage just waiting for someone to give it a good home.
Old 05-01-2002, 04:22 PM

You don't have to ne a grease monkey to understand this. If you read these posts with an open mind, you would see that this has been talked to death before and people know what there talking about. If you had the rescources to buy in quanity and fab parts, then maybe you could save some money on stillen. Otherwise, dont waste the time and put in some more hours at work to buy the kit. I guaruntee you will save time, money headaches, and maybe your engine.
Old 05-01-2002, 04:24 PM
Used force to obtain Admin powers

Ok someone who tunes cars and really knows about what they're doing. not someone who has only worked on their car.
I've noticed that you have gotten some of these supercharged guys worked up. Maybe you should listen to what they have to say instead of shooting back with "someone who tunes car and really knows about what they're doing."

You will have to tune regardless of where you get your kit. You can't just "slap" a kit onto the car without tuning it. Buying the kit directly from Stillen will be cheaper no matter how you look at it (just like what some of these guys have already said). There are other places that sell the s/c kit. (i.e Avalon Racing). Try searching and see what you get.

Which parts are you talking about that need to be replaced?

BTW, some of these guys actually know what they're doing and are willing to help.
Old 05-01-2002, 04:31 PM

My friend... you are a dolt...

forget the s/c talk, I'm trying to figure out what a dolt is ?
Old 05-01-2002, 04:34 PM
Used force to obtain Admin powers

Originally posted by s1rch

forget the s/c talk, I'm trying to figure out what a dolt is ?
Here you go:

One entry found for dolt.

Main Entry: dolt
Pronunciation: 'dOlt
Function: noun
Etymology: probably akin to Old English dol foolish
Date: 1553
: a stupid person
Old 05-01-2002, 04:41 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Well, they've all spoken in this thread. What does tuning cars have to do with finding parts for your SC kit?
Old 05-01-2002, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Jane97SE

Here you go:
One entry found for dolt.

Main Entry: dolt
Pronunciation: 'dOlt
Function: noun
Etymology: probably akin to Old English dol foolish
Date: 1553
: a stupid person
good looking.
your dictionary must be the nice people's version.

dolt

\Dolt\, n. [OE. dulte, prop. p. p. of dullen to dull. See Dull.] A heavy, stupid fellow; a blockhead; a numskull; an ignoramus; a dunce; a dullard.
Old 05-01-2002, 04:50 PM

It's not that I wouldn't listen to them it's the way they were talking down to me about what I was asking. I will take into concideration of what they said after I talk to one of the local race teams in birmingham, btw it is not a club, the man that owns it builds race engines and forced inducted engines for cars. He likes cars that no one modifies like the maxima and he offend sponsors them if he thinks the car has potential. I know that supercharging a car takes alot more than just bolting on a supercharger that is why I am asking what mods are involved in actually getting it put on the car. I could send my car to Colorado to my uncle who has an account with autorotor and can get a whipple supercharger for around 1000. The only problem is R&D the project would cost the same as the stillen kit because all research and fabrication would be done for cost but I would have to send my car to colorado for about 3-4 months in order for them to take off my intake manifold and create a new one that would alow a screw type supercharger to fit in the v of the engine. So knowing that stillen already made a kit with vortechs supercharger I thought that trying to have someone reproduse a more reliable supercharger kit using stillens measurements for the intake pipe and for the bracket would save me money and alot of pain because they could do the tuning in house. This may be totaly wrong but it never hurts to find out and soon I will. If the shop that I think can do it can't then I will get a used v1 kit and work through the flaws if there are any.
Old 05-01-2002, 04:56 PM

Tuning cars has alot to do with finding parts, think about who usualy makes these parts. Car tuners. And real car tuners are usually one of the following: a mechanic or an engineer.
Old 05-01-2002, 06:00 PM

Dude, the first thing I did to my motor before I supercharged it was add Slick 50! The extra protection it offers is really needed!
Old 05-01-2002, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
Dude, the first thing I did to my motor before I supercharged it was add Slick 50! The extra protection it offers is really needed!
DuraLube here.
Old 05-02-2002, 05:58 AM
Administrator

KY Jelly here
Old 05-02-2002, 08:06 AM

Again... If you come off as an idiot, you will be treated like one.

You want to question my ability with cars... well I guess you are the almighty car guru... you do have a Venom 400. You prolly installed it yourself.

I have only installed my own SC... Fixed another Members SC issues (With Mardigras' help). Talked a few other members through SC problems on the phone, taken apart my transmission to install the Quaife, and done just about everything else to my car on my own, or with help from friends. But I know nothing about cars, and Maxima's in specific?

Again your premise of buying the parts and trying to piecemeal a kit together will not be economically feasible... Stop pinching the penny and spend the money for a used V1 kit, or STFU and stay NA.

BTW...Call Stillen and try to buy a SC kit without the blower... let me know how long they laugh before you hear dialtone.

Also.. Stillen will be very hesitant to sell you SC parts... no matter how small... I hope you have a kick *** rep there, or your screwed anyway you slice it.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:45 AM

It is not that I question your ability to do work on cars it's the fact that you came across as an a##hole and I wouldn't have listened to you then if you were steve millen himself. Whether or not you had intended to sound that way doesn't matter, you did. If you weren't trying to sound like a ***** you should have thought about what you said. I do not want your advice, and I do not care what you think. Thanks for trying anyway.

The Dolt,
Eat a D*ck
Old 05-02-2002, 11:58 AM

It is not that I question your ability to do work on cars it's the fact that you came across as an a##hole and I wouldn't have listened to you then if you were steve millen himself. Whether or not you had intended to sound that way doesn't matter, you did. If you weren't trying to sound like a ***** you should have thought about what you said. I do not want your advice, and I do not care what you think. Thanks for trying anyway.

The Dolt,
Eat a D*ck
I'm so upset... this internet tough guy stuff is sooooo hurtful If I sound like a ***** it's cause you come off as an idiot. Don't come here posting like you know you @$$ from your elbow, when in reality, you know nothing about the subject you speak of. I don't care what you think of me, it means nothing to me. This is only the 'net.

Retard

Stoopid Newbies

I am done posting in this thread you reject. Last time I will answer your posts. Grow up and learn to accept some criticism, my statement stands, you are a dolt. Shining example of doltness.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:09 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

BBS - 1
96SE5Spd - 0

and now..i dedicate my sig pic to you!

Quick Reply: Supercharging