4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 11:21 AM

Cold Air Intake

ok i want to get a TRUE codl air intake...i want the real kit i dont want someone to tell me to just buy a cone filter and put that on where my stock air box is....i want the cold air intake kit where the cone filter is relocated to get colder/more air......
whats the anme of the kist i should buy and where shouyld i buy it at??? thanx for ur help guys....Tom D
Old 05-01-2002, 11:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Registered 06-12-2001 and you don't know where to get a CAI?
Old 05-01-2002, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by clee130
Old 05-01-2002, 01:12 PM

this is a quiz right..

either
1. you want to know if we know or
2. your testing us trying to see how long it will take for someone to say something smart...
Old 05-01-2002, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by clee130
well yeah that is kinda funny.......i basically did everythign all show on my car so i wasnt really looking for performance parts....thats y im asking...i want a good CAI and thats y im asking....as of now i know nothing about performance parts.....thanks guys......
Old 05-01-2002, 01:34 PM

Would yall just answer the guys question? GOSH
Old 05-01-2002, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by Cashj2002
yes thank you!!!!
Old 05-01-2002, 01:43 PM

How about using search?

Or reading some of the posts on the very first page in this forum? I see three threads about intakes on the first page alone.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:49 PM

search the search button doesnt work its not big enough it needs to be bout as big as that banner. Or what he could do is just say hey who has a CAI and how do you like it? but i dont know what goes on in his mind..
Old 05-01-2002, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by caneyebus
search the search button doesnt work its not big enough it needs to be bout as big as that banner. Or what he could do is just say hey who has a CAI and how do you like it? but i dont know what goes on in his mind..
i would just like someone to answer my question...will someone just answer me???

im also asking this because i want to know peoples opinions on teh intake they bought....i dont wanna buy it cuz the web site i look says its the "best" intake......so if someone could jsut please answer me id really appreciate it...thank you again! Tom
Old 05-01-2002, 04:00 PM

Warpspeed has one. I was thinking about buying one of theirs if I can get the money together. They seem like nice guys and seem to have the best prices. I bought a y-pipe from them. try warpspeed.com you might want to check out place racing or hks too. You could find those at custommaxima.com There might be one more out there. I think the main difference between the companies is color. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2002, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by SamMan23
Warpspeed has one. I was thinking about buying one of theirs if I can get the money together. They seem like nice guys and seem to have the best prices. I bought a y-pipe from them. try warpspeed.com you might want to check out place racing or hks too. You could find those at custommaxima.com There might be one more out there. I think the main difference between the companies is color. Good luck.
thank you very much......finally someone answered!!!!
Old 05-01-2002, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by hockeyghst

thank you very much......finally someone answered!!!!
I find it sad that a newbie could find it before a someone that has been here for a while
Old 05-01-2002, 06:09 PM

for the love of god guys....you have a few choices here. you can't get the warpspeed CAI from www.warpspeedperformance.com or the Place Racing from www.custommaxima.com or the cattman from cattman's website (dunno it.) they are all the same just different finishes and i the PR comes with the monsterflow filter instead of the k&n.
Old 05-01-2002, 08:01 PM

yeh...my auto has some loss at low end..=(
Old 05-01-2002, 10:59 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Cold Air Intake

Originally posted by hockeyghst
ok i want to get a TRUE codl air intake...i want the real kit i dont want someone to tell me to just buy a cone filter and put that on where my stock air box is....i want the cold air intake kit where the cone filter is relocated to get colder/more air......
whats the anme of the kist i should buy and where shouyld i buy it at??? thanx for ur help guys....Tom D

Consider:

Place Racing from custommaxima.com. Blue or silver only, most expensive (come on Greg!)

Cattman's (really just a PR with a few 'upgraded' parts). Only comes in black. A little more than PR. From cattman.com. Or the Place Racing from Cattman for less money than custommaxima and more color choices.

Or the warpspeed CAI from warpspeedperformance.com. This is by far the cheapest. Until recently, I would have said no but they switched over to K&N filters so they are perfectly fine now. A good pick.

Base your selection on color and/or price because they all perform equally.

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:12 AM

Re: Re: Cold Air Intake

Interesting. Cattman switched from K&N to Monster flow. Frankencar also did the same switch. Warpspeed switched to K&N? From what?? A regular paper filter?

I wonder what's the real deal with all these filters.

DW

Originally posted by ptatohed

Consider:

Place Racing from custommaxima.com. Blue or silver only, most expensive (come on Greg!)

Cattman's (really just a PR with a few 'upgraded' parts). Only comes in black. A little more than PR. From cattman.com. Or the Place Racing from Cattman for less money than custommaxima and more color choices.

Or the warpspeed CAI from warpspeedperformance.com. This is by far the cheapest. Until recently, I would have said no but they switched over to K&N filters so they are perfectly fine now. A good pick.

Base your selection on color and/or price because they all perform equally.

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2002, 07:41 AM

Question????

So is it better for a Cold Air Intake to have an K&N Filter? Does the filters matter?
Old 05-02-2002, 09:46 AM
I'll kill you. I mean it

Re: Re: Re: Cold Air Intake

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Interesting. Cattman switched from K&N to Monster flow. Frankencar also did the same switch. Warpspeed switched to K&N? From what?? A regular paper filter?

I wonder what's the real deal with all these filters.

DW

I recently switched from Stillen Hi Flow intake to PR's CAI. I went into their shop and picked it up myself. I asked the sales guy why they switched from K&N to Mosterflow. He said it because of the price. They are getting much better deal on the Monsterflow filters.

Straight up theres your answer its all about the money. $$$$$$$$$

Also he said take a look at this dyno chart thats on the wall. Apparently they did three dyno runs.

1. With K&N filter on the CAI
2. With a Monsterflow Filter on the CAI
3. No fliter on the CAI

the 2 dyno runs with filters had almost exact dyno runs. The 3rd run without the filter had terrible gains on the low end but had a signifigant gain over the filters on the high end. He pointed everything out to me and I acknowledged.

The reason for the low end loss without the filter was because the air was not properly being channeled into the CAI. The top end gain was because there was no restriction.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 05-02-2002, 09:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cold Air Intake

Originally posted by 1eyedcalibandit

I recently switched from Stillen Hi Flow intake to PR's CAI. I went into their shop and picked it up myself. I asked the sales guy why they switched from K&N to Mosterflow. He said it because of the price. They are getting much better deal on the Monsterflow filters.

Also he said take a look at this dyno chart thats on the wall. Apparently they did three dyno runs.

3. No fliter on the CAI

the 2 dyno runs with filters had almost exact dyno runs. The 3rd run without the filter had terrible gains on the low end but had a signifigant gain over the filters on the high end. He pointed everything out to me and I acknowledged.

The reason for the low end loss without the filter was because the air was not properly being channeled into the CAI. The top end gain was because there was no restriction.

Ok, so K&N filters are better to have with a CAI?
Old 05-02-2002, 09:56 AM

That's kinda what I figured. The Monster or K&N are just as good as each other.

The thing is that there's been a lot of trash talking of K&Ns, their oils messing up your MAFs etc. Propoganda rumor mill running on over-time to benefit Monster flow. My car has 130,000 miles. 100,000 of which the VQ sucked air thru a K&N. Still got the same MAF, too.

DW

3. No fliter on the CAI

Old 05-02-2002, 10:01 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cold Air Intake

Ok, so K&N filters are better to have with a CAI?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=105559

I just ordered a Warpspeed CAI
Old 05-02-2002, 10:02 AM

3. No fliter on the CAI

There was a thread about the Monster vs K&N difference and reasons why some of the co's switched. I was the only one that said the reason was probably tied into money rather than performance and people flamed me. Some people were hinting around that the "real" reason would be "revealed" later, as if it was some kind of voodoo or great revelation. As I said then, I will say now....Told you so. The only reason to change the product line like that is always dollars and cents.