4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Not happy with my Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 08:16 PM

Not happy with my Maxima

don't get me wrong i still like my maxima i take good care of it and all but ever since i drove that machine i started off with a losing record. first of all this '00 camry killed me in the high way we were doing 120 and i couldn't keep up with him. then there the highway curved a little and i slowed down but he kept on going so that one i lost. later on i met back up with him at the a stop light we both knew it was on. once it hit green he floored his, but i kinda underestimated him and didn't floor it, in fact i slowly but floored it. and he killed me then. ok then the next day this 3000GT pulls up behind me real close on the high way and so i floored my max and he did as well i didn't know if both of these cars were stick or auto. and so the 3000 GT killed me in the high way. then the other night i dunno what car it was but it was old it ran like a motherf***ka. i couldn't really beat it cause my friend witha jeep kept getting in my way. oh well. anyways just wanted to say i have bad luck racign with my maxima. i want a stick so bad, i'm most likely selling this car and getting a stick shift whatever. anyways jsut wanted to share haha peace
Old 05-08-2002, 08:28 PM

Re: Not happy with my Maxima

Originally posted by xsp00kyx
don't get me wrong i still like my maxima i take good care of it and all but ever since i drove that machine i started off with a losing record. first of all this '00 camry killed me in the high way we were doing 120 and i couldn't keep up with him. then there the highway curved a little and i slowed down but he kept on going so that one i lost. later on i met back up with him at the a stop light we both knew it was on. once it hit green he floored his, but i kinda underestimated him and didn't floor it, in fact i slowly but floored it. and he killed me then. ok then the next day this 3000GT pulls up behind me real close on the high way and so i floored my max and he did as well i didn't know if both of these cars were stick or auto. and so the 3000 GT killed me in the high way. then the other night i dunno what car it was but it was old it ran like a motherf***ka. i couldn't really beat it cause my friend witha jeep kept getting in my way. oh well. anyways just wanted to say i have bad luck racign with my maxima. i want a stick so bad, i'm most likely selling this car and getting a stick shift whatever. anyways jsut wanted to share haha peace
If you're gonna sell it, let me know how much you want for it, where you are located, and what mileage/condition it's in.

Maximas have lots of potential, you just need to know how to tap it.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:20 PM
FJC

Re: Re: Not happy with my Maxima

Originally posted by avalon42

If you're gonna sell it, let me know how much you want for it, where you are located, and what mileage/condition it's in.

Maximas have lots of potential, you just need to know how to tap it.
And how to drive...

Was the bishi a 3000GT VR4?
Old 05-10-2002, 12:01 PM

you gotta be kidding me, getting whooping from a Camry ? thats gotta be bad lol. i'm looking for a 4th Gen Max now (dealership torched the GTP).

what exactly should i be looking for in a 4th Gen why buying one? i'm going for probably a 98 GLE. in Grand Prix's the weak link is the transmissions. is there anything i should concentrate mainly on when looking for a 4th gen?
Old 05-10-2002, 12:22 PM
dot dot dot ...

Dont get a GLE, get a fully loaded SE 5spd, if you dont want a 5spd, get the GLE cuz GLE's only come in auto.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:32 PM

do NOT get a GLE...they are evil....get a GXE if u wanna race it, or maybe even an SE
Old 05-10-2002, 12:46 PM

Yeah, i want an auto. "GLE are evil" is that sarcastic, or some people having too many probs with GLE. I don't race too much, and I don't plan on modifying the car much.

Do all Maxima's require premium fuel also or some models only or none at all?
Old 05-10-2002, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by !GTP!
Yeah, i want an auto. "GLE are evil" is that sarcastic, or some people having too many probs with GLE. I don't race too much, and I don't plan on modifying the car much.

GLE's are very nice. At least mine is. Only good thing about a GXE is that they can come with a 5-speed. The differences are in the options.
Old 05-10-2002, 01:49 PM

Get the 98 SE, they look good stock,all you have to do is add a tint!
Old 05-10-2002, 01:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah, they all require premium...
Old 05-10-2002, 02:59 PM

i hope noone puts below 93 in their babies
Old 05-10-2002, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by iregula
Dont worry iregula, I only feed my baby with Sunoco Ultra 94.
Old 05-10-2002, 03:52 PM
I'll kill you. I mean it

Originally posted by iregula
I feel so left out, the best I can do is Chevron 91 here in So. Cali.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:13 PM

oh , so i still gotta pay all that cash for gas, that bites

how much are you guys averaging fuel economy, like on a normal day driving in the city, also in winter vs summer kinda thing? the grand prix is rated at 18 mpg in city, and we get around 16-17, (closer to 15 in the winter) and on the highway its rated at 28 mpg, and surprisingly, even with the supercharger and all, it gets like 33 mpg contstant(i'm not kidding). so i wanna have an idea how the maxima is on gas.

sorry for asking too many questions, but i wanna get this off my back. driving a rental Caravan isn't too much fun :S.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:22 PM
Carpe Diem....

Re: Not happy with my Maxima

Originally posted by xsp00kyx

Sorry to hear about the last couple of races you've had, but i'm sure you can get enough power out of your car to beat a camry at the very least. Stay a positive, you don't know what type of set-up the guy had.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:24 PM

Its not the maxima, its the driver. Go renew your license.
Old 05-11-2002, 04:10 AM

A couple thoughts:

1. Let's not forget my run-in w/ a supercharged Camry about a year ago (he looked completely stock on the outside, but had a boost gauge on his A-pillar)... he kicked my **** so hard...

2. All Maximas have the same engine and require premium.

3. I average about 21-22 mpg mixed city/frwy, '99 5-sp. Got as high as 25 frwy only, but that was with plenty o' gas pedal fun-times.

4. Buy the 5-speed... GAWD I'm sick of reading posts from people who regret buying the auto.
Old 05-11-2002, 07:03 AM

oh , so i still gotta pay all that cash for gas, that bites

how much are you guys averaging fuel economy, like on a normal day driving in the city, also in winter vs summer kinda thing? the grand prix is rated at 18 mpg in city, and we get around 16-17, (closer to 15 in the winter) and on the highway its rated at 28 mpg, and surprisingly, even with the supercharger and all, it gets like 33 mpg contstant(i'm not kidding). so i wanna have an idea how the maxima is on gas.

sorry for asking too many questions, but i wanna get this off my back. driving a rental Caravan isn't too much fun :S.
Would it be too late to switch to premium if I have always been putting 87 in it?
Old 05-11-2002, 08:03 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

!GTP!:

The GLEs are nice. You get everything (leather, Bose, moonroof, power everything, auto climate, keyless, etc). Adding a Y-pipe ($195 Warpspeed), B-pipe ($200), underdrive pulley ($185), and CAI ($150), you could be looking at lower 15s in a very quiet sleeper sedan. Get some H&R springs ($200) that only lower you about 1.5" to still keep the smooth ride, add a rear sway bar ($150), strut tower bar ($50), and upgrade the stock crappy tires ($280). Get a 97+ GLE since they come with the more stylish and lighter 15" rims from the 95-96 SE. For about $10-12K total (including mods), you could have quite a nice little sedan that can get up and move. With these mods, performance will be very similar to the GTP. The only trade off is that the Max will be slower off the line, but will be stronger than the stock GTP after 60mph.

Dave
Old 05-11-2002, 12:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NATE98GLE
Would it be too late to switch to premium if I have always been putting 87 in it?
they dont "require" premium.. Sure, they'll run better, perhaps with better reliability in the long run if you use 91 or 93, but my friend has always been putting 87 in his 95 maxima, and no problems whatsoever that I know of.
Old 05-11-2002, 12:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

GTP: I highly suggest you get one with a stick shift. Unless you're not in performance, which I doubt you're not coming from a GTP. The GLE is nice and all, but it's an automatic. One thing you have to know is the automatic in the Maxima is pretty crappy. Domestic automatic seem to perform better. I used to have a '95 Grand Am GT auto. Even though it's not as powerful as my Maxima, the auto seem to be much better overall. There was no lag like on my current car. Anyway, get a 5spd.
Old 05-11-2002, 12:58 PM

Damn, my family members put regular gas into my car. I should stop letting them take my car out. Nothing but the best formy car. I wish I had a 5spd Maxima.. But my GXE 190 hp engine is still like new and runs very smoothly.
Old 05-11-2002, 01:03 PM

try having a heavier car (i30) and having an auto

thats why im about to sell my car and get a 5-spd
Old 05-11-2002, 02:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

no offense, but this thread is really pathetic. You guys need to learn how to drive!
Old 05-11-2002, 06:45 PM

well i just want to comment on being killed..first of all the MAXIMA IS NOT A CAR PRODUCED TO BE FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!! second of all yes other people mod there cars also and u can get owned like a ***** by civics and whatnot the maxima is not cloud 10 its just really nice
Old 05-11-2002, 10:57 PM
Carpe Diem....

Originally posted by ILoveMyMax
well i just want to comment on being killed..first of all the MAXIMA IS NOT A CAR PRODUCED TO BE FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!! second of all yes other people mod there cars also and u can get owned like a ***** by civics and whatnot the maxima is not cloud 10 its just really nice
I couldn't have said it any better.......