4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

5-spd VI dyno

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 09:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm almost willing to bet that the dippiness you refer to is b/c of the short intakes, be it CAI/Hybrid or POP style. They make more power than the CAI, but the torque curve of the CAI is much more linear. Speedtrip's dynos support that. The smoothness is b/c of the CAI.

DW

Originally posted by Dave B

I studied Speedtrip's dynos closely and I was very happy to see that the VI did smooth out the "dippiness" of the VQ torque curve from 2000-4500rpms
Dave
Old 05-10-2002, 10:50 AM
SLOW

Has anyone else considered that maybe the JWT ecu with the higher rev limiter might actually help things with this manifold? Doing a rough calulation in my head shows that if we have the 7000rpm limiter of the JWT ECU, we might actually be able to go even quicker. The extra 500rpms of rev will let you enter the powerband at a more ideal rpm. Roughly, we should be looking at these shift points (I'll do the real calculations tonight):

1-2 7000 (need ECU), entering 2nd at ~4500rpms
2-3 6700 (need ECU), entering 3rd at ~4800rpms
3-4 6300

I ran this idea past you about 2 weeks ago and you said you didn't think it would make one bit of difference...

BTW when I shift from 1->2 at 6500 I get into 2nd at about 4500, so shifting at 7000 would put me into 2nd at about 5000rpm.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:38 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Nealoc187

I ran this idea past you about 2 weeks ago and you said you didn't think it would make one bit of difference...

BTW when I shift from 1->2 at 6500 I get into 2nd at about 4500, so shifting at 7000 would put me into 2nd at about 5000rpm.
The reason I told you the higher rev limiter wouldn't be needed was because I thought power would fall off after 6100rpms. Instead, power peaks at 6100rpms and literally stays there until 6500. I had no idea that the VI would be able to hold on to power like this. SInce power really doesn't fall off, extending the redline might help. Sorry for the confusion.

As for entering rpms on the 1-2 and 3-4 shift, I'll have to look into to it. I could have sworn I hit 4100rpms when entering 2nd from a 6500rpm shift.

Dave
Old 05-10-2002, 11:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i didnt say it was a v tech curve, i said it is approaching the rising curve of a v tech car. this might sound dumb and im pritty sure i know the answer, but when u have more horsepower on the higher end, does that make u reach higher top speed in each gear?
Old 05-10-2002, 11:54 AM

I feed speedtrips dyno #s into cartest and it said the optimium shift points are 7000rpm 1-2 (rev limiter with JWT ECU), 6960rpm 2-3, 6550rpm 3-4, 6200rpm 4-5. 3rd gear should be good till 98mph right at the rev limiter.

Has anyone else considered that maybe the JWT ecu with the higher rev limiter might actually help things with this manifold? Doing a rough calulation in my head shows that if we have the 7000rpm limiter of the JWT ECU, we might actually be able to go even quicker. The extra 500rpms of rev will let you enter the powerband at a more ideal rpm. Roughly, we should be looking at these shift points (I'll do the real calculations tonight):

1-2 7000 (need ECU), entering 2nd at ~4500rpms
2-3 6700 (need ECU), entering 3rd at ~4800rpms
3-4 6300
Dave
Old 05-10-2002, 12:27 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!
t when u have more horsepower on the higher end, does that make u reach higher top speed in each gear?
No, top speed in each gear is determined by gear ratios. The only difference is that you will reach the top speed for that gear faster .
Old 05-10-2002, 01:39 PM

Not as impressive as I had hoped considering the JDM 4th gen is rated at 220 HP (I think). Still extending peak HP all the way to redline makes this a worthwhile mod, just not one that I must have immediatly. I hope Mr Cranman will convert his CAI to a hybred for a pull or two on the dyno to see if it has any effect.
Old 05-10-2002, 03:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

It sounds like everyone was expecting more from this mod. I've seen comparisons between stock cams and aftermarket cams, and noticed aprroximaptely a 25+hp gain in the top end compared to stock cams. While this mod is not a cam, but does give comparable gains, its very wothwhile. I'd rather have a more flat hp curve than have a just a sudden peak of hp. If a mod gives you no peak hp but +25hp at a given rpm, thn I'd say its well worth it. Besides, we all know the 4th gens suffer from lack of hi-end, we've all revved to 6.5K and felt like it was just making way more noise than it had to for the power it was putting down. Now ppl are wondering if this mod is worth it. Damn right, I see some ppl payting 650 for a slightly broader power band with a Greddy cat-back and what they claim as +8 hp. Believe me, I'd rahter pull *HARD* from 4000-6100 than pull very slightly harder from 4000-5400.

What I think would be kool is if a completely srock Maxima got a y-pipe only and V only, that would be nice, no one would know, and he/she'd be killing Maximas tha are loud and not as fast.

My 0.02
Old 05-10-2002, 03:42 PM

You know, I was wondering if better results might be found w/ the stock intake and exhaust. Unless those parts are different in the ME or Japan our cars would be identical right (rated at 220 hp)? Or do they not have emissions or something? Either way I still want one and can clearly see the benefits to having it. Hope this deal goes through.
Old 05-10-2002, 05:54 PM

damn it

I got the VI in april, don't have a Y-pipe, and still using stock intake...

But I can't use it because I'm missing 5 of the 6 butterfly valves so it's just sitting in my living room annoying the crap out of me.

argh... just wanted to vent a little... If I can't get those valves soon I might just cut some metal plates from HD...
Old 05-10-2002, 09:27 PM

Went to the track today. My first 2 runs were horrible because I'd never done the 1/4 mile before and didn't know what I was doing.

But the next and final 2 were interesting.

.4 seconds off the 1/4 with the VI on.

Unfortunately, my car is still way slow, and I don't know why. We stripped the spare and everything we could. Maybe it's just my 18's and my speaker box causing the fuss.

Anyway, here's the slips, one version to post and one for my site. The one on the site is bigger and easier to read:

http://www.cyberhub.net/intake/installed/timeslips2.jpg

Old 05-10-2002, 09:43 PM

Iansw,

Your 60's are high but something may be slowing you down also. I'm confident I'd be running high 14's with the VI.
Old 05-10-2002, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by deezo
Iansw,

Your 60's are high but something may be slowing you down also. I'm confident I'd be running high 14.7's with the VI.
Yep..that's probably my heavy azz rims and stereo doing that.

I'm hoping a CAI will help with that problem.

IanS
Old 05-10-2002, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by iansw

Yep..that's probably my heavy azz rims and stereo doing that.

I'm hoping a CAI will help with that problem.

IanS
Oh yeah...and the S/C I'm buying
Old 05-10-2002, 10:18 PM

Iansw,
I'm confident I'd be running high 14.7's with the VI.
I would like to get my hands on one like yourself, but am a little short for cash right now. I feel confident that if I got one we could truly see what it would do at the track, because my car is farely maxed out at the track as far as times go. We need a veteran drag racer to go to the track with one installed to see the full potential. Even though peak power doesn't improve much, I would be willing to bet I could drop at least two tenths on a good day with it. Deezo...are you getting one?
Old 05-10-2002, 10:35 PM

OK...I have to speak up.

Why is it everytime I take the time to do something for you guys, you tear whatever I did apart?

I'm not trying to offend, but I'm really tired of it. I feel like everything I do doesn't count, like I'm some idiot who doesn't know what I'm doing.

"We'll just have to wait for someone else to Dyno"
"We'll just have to wait until someone else goes to the track"

The point is the BEFORE and AFTER. Not the numbers themselves. I know my car is slow, and I'm working out why, but that's not the point at all.

If that's not the way some people meant it (And I don't just mean the last post), then speak up.

If it is the way you mean it, tell me why I'm an idiot in a reasonable fashion.

IanS
Old 05-10-2002, 10:43 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Damn, the VI is honestly worth 4mph and .4 seconds. It's as plain as day. Same lane and same 60 foot and the car is much quicker on the far end of the track showing the VI is truely working. Thanks for the perfect comparison, Ian.

Dave
Old 05-10-2002, 10:48 PM

Damn, the VI is honestly worth 4mph and .4 seconds. It's as plain as day. Same lane and same 60 foot and the car is much quicker on the far end of the track showing the VI is truely working. Thanks for the perfect comparison, Ian.

Dave
Thanks, that makes me feel better.

Heh...look at the guy in the other lane on the 2nd run (VI on)...I felt like I wasn't moving.

1968 Malibu with some bad-azz (and VERY loud) stuff in it.

IanS
Old 05-10-2002, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by 96sleeper

Deezo...are you getting one?
Probably in a few months. I'm curious to know what my times would be with this thing because I have no performance mods at all.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:49 PM

It's as plain as day. Same lane and same 60 foot and the car is much quicker on the far end of the track showing the VI is truely working.
yeah no kidding. it couldn't be any better and its an auto so you can't say he missed a gear or anything. that was a very good comparison....
Old 05-10-2002, 10:54 PM

If that's not the way some people meant it (And I don't just mean the last post), then speak up.

IanS
Can you borrow some 15's for the next run at the track. Just use the 15's on the front and see what your results are.

Here's me and Medicsonic running at our last meet.......http://www.maximaproducts.com/movies/island07.avi

This was a bad run for Greg and a good one for me because he's modded and I'm not. My GXE is a 97 auto also.

You can get there dude.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:36 PM

Can you borrow some 15's for the next run at the track. Just use the 15's on the front and see what your results are.

Here's me and Medicsonic running at our last meet.......http://www.maximaproducts.com/movies/island07.avi

This was a bad run for Greg and a good one for me because he's modded and I'm not. My GXE is a 97 auto also.

You can get there dude.
Yep...going to borrow ebmorgan's 15's off his I30...I would use my stock steelies, but the tires are not very good.

IanS
Old 05-11-2002, 12:03 AM
SLOW

Guess what Ian, you sold me

I knew this thing would be huge in the 1/4 mile and now its confirmed. Regardless of what times he ran, the TRAP SPEEDS are where the power shows, and as long as the launches on the 2 runs are not totally on opposite ends of the spectrum, they will tell you how much more power you are making.

81mph vs 85 mph, for those of you that don't know much about drag racing, 4mph trap speed increase from one modification is FRIGGEN HUGE. I mean HUGE. Ian I have a great deal of respect for you, for sticking your neck out like you have, risking monetary loss to get these parts from another country where they hardly speak a lick of English, and then sticking with it and spending your own $$ to dyno, and compare, and get to the track, etc. As soon as I'm on my next credit card billing period, I'm ordering one. Good job man.
Old 05-11-2002, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Guess what Ian, you sold me

I knew this thing would be huge in the 1/4 mile and now its confirmed. Regardless of what times he ran, the TRAP SPEEDS are where the power shows, and as long as the launches on the 2 runs are not totally on opposite ends of the spectrum, they will tell you how much more power you are making.

81mph vs 85 mph, for those of you that don't know much about drag racing, 4mph trap speed increase from one modification is FRIGGEN HUGE. I mean HUGE. Ian I have a great deal of respect for you, for sticking your neck out like you have, risking monetary loss to get these parts from another country where they hardly speak a lick of English, and then sticking with it and spending your own $$ to dyno, and compare, and get to the track, etc. As soon as I'm on my next credit card billing period, I'm ordering one. Good job man.
Thanks for the support man.

Unfortunately, PayPal has screwed me.
Although I found ANOTHER way.
Most CC Companies will transfer money from your CC straight to a bank account through a wire transfer for a small fee.

Call your CC Companies. Then you will still be covered by your CC.
Or we can do PayDirect from Yahoo. I am set up there as "cyberhubvi", but it will take another day or two for my registration to clear.

I know I'm not going to screw anyone over, and I know my supplier is legit, but I want you all to feel secure. If you decide you trust me and everything else, I will also just take checks in the mail.

I'm not trying to plug myself, but more just trying to build up 10 buyers again so I can get this rolling again.
I am making exactly $22 per Intake here, so it's no skin off my back here if it doesn't work. But people seem to want these, and I want to help still, even though it has been a LONG road.

I want it to be over with as quickly and cleanly as possible for everyone involved. (Besides the 2-3 month wait for them to get to me, which sucks, but there's nothing I can do about that.)

By the way, PayPal should be refunding everyone who sent me money by tomorrow morning. The refund itself should take 2-3 days, but they should start processing tomorrow AM.

If they have not, I will be on the phone again as soon as I get out of bed.

Cheers,
IanS
Old 05-11-2002, 04:59 AM

Absolutely incredible. A bolt-on mod that costs $500-$600 dollars dropping the 1/4 mi by .4 seconds AND an increase of 4 mph trap speed. You had the best transmission for the test and your reaction times and 60' times are consistent as well. Excellant job!

I'm not being funny or mean when I ask these questions but has anyone seen this kind of improvement on any kind of bolt-on mod on a japanese car? I know a y-pipe is good, but is it .4 seconds good?

I know the peak numbers for IanS and my dynoes are nothing to write home about but you just have to beleive us when we say that the VI transforms the VQ.
Old 05-11-2002, 07:41 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

102mph trap speeds here I come j/k Na, I'd be happy with 100mph in a NA 4th gen. Can you imagine the look on unsuspecting Stang, F-Body, BMW, etc owners as you walk them at the track? You pop the hood and trunk and say, "ya see, no nitrous. It's just a grocery getter V6 Maxipad."

Dave
Old 05-11-2002, 07:48 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by dwapenyi
I'm almost willing to bet that the dippiness you refer to is b/c of the short intakes, be it CAI/Hybrid or POP style. They make more power than the CAI, but the torque curve of the CAI is much more linear. Speedtrip's dynos support that. The smoothness is b/c of the CAI.

DW
I don't agree. Both my dyno operator and myself both agree that the dip in the power curves from 3000-4200rpms looks to be a timing and fuel delivery issue. It would make sense because at ~3000 at WOT, the ECU switches over to a preset fuel/timing map. At part throttle below 3000 rpms is where the ECU is reading O2 sensors, MAF, etc. At WOT the ECU pays no attention to these systems. Take a look at the G-Force/JWT ECU dynos and you'll see that the plots don't have the dips. Both of these ECUs adjust timing. In reality, this is where both of these companies advertize their "huge" gains with the ECU.

Dave
Old 05-11-2002, 08:20 AM

OK...I have to speak up.

Why is it everytime I take the time to do something for you guys, you tear whatever I did apart?

I'm not trying to offend, but I'm really tired of it. I feel like everything I do doesn't count, like I'm some idiot who doesn't know what I'm doing.

"We'll just have to wait for someone else to Dyno"
"We'll just have to wait until someone else goes to the track"

The point is the BEFORE and AFTER. Not the numbers themselves. I know my car is slow, and I'm working out why, but that's not the point at all.

IanS
Please don't take my post the wrong way. I appreciate all you have done for us researching this mod. Your results from the track are big, because 4 mph is huge in the 1/4 mile. I was just getting excited about having it myself, and seeing what I could do. I was not trying to flame you.
Old 05-11-2002, 09:12 AM
SLOW

Originally posted by speedtrip

I'm not being funny or mean when I ask these questions but has anyone seen this kind of improvement on any kind of bolt-on mod on a japanese car? I know a y-pipe is good, but is it .4 seconds good?

I improved by .41 seconds from my best time stock compared with my best time with just a y-pipe. 3.8mph as well. I do not feel however that my 14.87 stock was the end of my car's potential when it was stock, as I only made 5 runs when it was stock and really didn't know where to shift or how to launch. My 60' times on the 14.46 and 14.87 were almost identical though, and conditions were close. 2 different tracks however. Take that for what its worth.
Old 05-11-2002, 09:25 AM

I thought you were talking about the region past 3500 rpm. On a CAI it reamins smooth, but with POPs etc, it still dips and climbs. That 3000-4200 region I've seen on every VQ dyno. I guess it's what you say it is. It's interesting, even on Mardis Gras SCed and N20ed VQ, that 3000-4000 changeover is not only there, but massively magnified!

DW

I don't agree. Both my dyno operator and myself both agree that the dip in the power curves from 3000-4200rpms looks to be a timing and fuel delivery issue. It would make sense because at ~3000 at WOT, the ECU switches over to a preset fuel/timing map. At part throttle below 3000 rpms is where the ECU is reading O2 sensors, MAF, etc. At WOT the ECU pays no attention to these systems. Take a look at the G-Force/JWT ECU dynos and you'll see that the plots don't have the dips. Both of these ECUs adjust timing. In reality, this is where both of these companies advertize their "huge" gains with the ECU.

Dave
Old 05-12-2002, 06:29 PM

This mod is going to kick some *** when combined with an ECU that has a higher rev limiter. I wonder how much it would be to just order the parts from the dealer?
Old 05-13-2002, 01:05 PM

I have a hypothesis about the VI.

The VI manifold flows more air than the OE manifold ACROSS the entire rpm range.

Comparing my baseline and VI dynoes I can see that with the VI, low end torque increased from 2k rpm to 3.1k rpm and then stays the same until 3.4k rpm. After 3.4k rpm the torque curve starts to decrease and pardoning the pun, the CAI does not get a chance to catch it's breath agian. Also peak torque for the VI was at 3.4k rpms. At 5k rpm when the VI activated torque takes another drop and begins to nose dive to redline.

On my baseline dyno, torque decreased at 3.6k rpm to 4.1k rpm. After 4.1k rpms torque increases again to it's peak at 4.5k rpm and then spirals down. The point I am making here is that the CAI rebounds around 4.2k rpms with the OE manifold. With the VI manifold after 3.4k rpms it decreases somewhat and just remains flat until 5k rpm.

Looking at the VI dyno it would appear that the VI has amplified the CAI characteristics of improving low end and decreasing high end.

I am going to dyno one more time with the hybrid setup on wednsday. The butt dyno says from 3.2k rpm on up there is an improvement in torque/hp.

Remeber this is just a hypothesis not god's gospel. Any input/insight would be appreicated.
Old 05-13-2002, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by speedtrip
I have a hypothesis about the VI.
Remeber this is just a hypothesis not god's gospel. Any input/insight would be appreicated.
That sounds very reasonable speedtrip. In the CAI/Popcharger debates CAIs are always mentioned to have more low end power while the pop chargers tend to give more power in the top end. Since the VI seems to make more power by tuning the intake resonance, I'm interested to see how a pop charger does versus a stock airbox.

Since our runners are so long to begin with it may help increase power by shortening the intake path, but at a certain point the opposite effect could surface (power loss from too short of a path). Basically we need to give the VI the optimum amount of air at the correct speed it was designed for (which could end up being a stock airbox). Until I get my VI I'm sticking with my pop charger, but when it's dyno time I may try out a stock airbox.
-hype
Old 05-13-2002, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by xHypex

That sounds very reasonable speedtrip. In the CAI/Popcharger debates CAIs are always mentioned to have more low end power while the pop chargers tend to give more power in the top end. Since the VI seems to make more power by tuning the intake resonance, I'm interested to see how a pop charger does versus a stock airbox.

Since our runners are so long to begin with it may help increase power by shortening the intake path, but at a certain point the opposite effect could surface (power loss from too short of a path). Basically we need to give the VI the optimum amount of air at the correct speed it was designed for (which could end up being a stock airbox). Until I get my VI I'm sticking with my pop charger, but when it's dyno time I may try out a stock airbox.
-hype
That's what I plan to do. Run the VI w/ and w/o the stock air box to see what yields best. Not swapping the y though. Not getting under the car again to **** with that.
Old 05-13-2002, 07:47 PM

For an update on my GD, please read the thread in the GD Section.

Looks like I'll be taking 50% up front now, 50% when my supplier gets them.

Give you all a couple of months to save up the extra cash needed.

E-Mail me at cyberoptik@cablespeed.com if interested, and no, I will never use PayPal again.

IanS
Old 05-13-2002, 07:55 PM

You guys are going to come to the same conclusion as before, the stock airbox provides the most linear TQ and smooth quiet operation, but the POP/Hybrid will make the most top end power. I thought the CAI would be redeemed by the VI, but the results have shown what others have said all along, the CAI is restrictive above 5000 rpm.
I converted my CAI to a hybrid. The low end loss was there, I really felt it. It took me (and my car's ECU) a week to adjust to it, but from 5000 to 6000 rpm, this hybrid has made my car do things it never did with the CAI

DW
Old 05-13-2002, 08:45 PM

Got a quick question....if you put a jwt ecu with this vi and bumped the rev limiter to 7k, is it possible to make even more power?? Not peak hp, but could it benifit 1/4mile times? Just an idea. Also, how hard are these babies to get?? Are they in limited supply, or if i had the cash in 2months would i be able to get one? Thanks
Old 05-13-2002, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by bmxsteve
Got a quick question....if you put a jwt ecu with this vi and bumped the rev limiter to 7k, is it possible to make even more power?? Not peak hp, but could it benifit 1/4mile times?
Thats what I am wondering. I wish I had more money right now. A 5spd max with all the bolt-ons, plus the VI, Jim Wolf ECU with 7000rpm rev-limit, and a set of custom ground cams, and I think you have a mid 13 second car on a perfect day with a perfect launch, and over 100 mph traps easy.
Old 05-14-2002, 12:36 AM
SLOW

Originally posted by 96sleeper

Thats what I am wondering. I wish I had more money right now. A 5spd max with all the bolt-ons, plus the VI, Jim Wolf ECU with 7000rpm rev-limit, and a set of custom ground cams, and I think you have a mid 13 second car on a perfect day with a perfect launch, and over 100 mph traps easy.
If I'm not trapping over 100 with my ECU and VI, I'm going to shoot myself. Let alone custome cams
Old 05-14-2002, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
You guys are going to come to the same conclusion as before, the stock airbox provides the most linear TQ and smooth quiet operation, but the POP/Hybrid will make the most top end power. DW
I don't believe that is entirely true. This manifold was designed without a popcharger or CAI in mind, so a stock airbox may provide the best intake characteristics. The whole idea behind the VI is that it is a resonance tuned intake so turbulence/pressure drops were taken into consideration as well as the air velocity. The CAI lacks the top end of the pop charger, but if the pop charger flows too much faster than the VI was designed for there could be some power loss as well. Basically I'm not saying that the pop charger won't be the best option, but the intake was designed with certain characteristics in mind and if you change them too much it isn't always a good thing.
-hype

Quick Reply: 5-spd VI dyno