4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Max's with H&R do you have spring noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 10:29 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Max's with H&R do you have spring noise?

I'm curious to know how many of you guys with H&R's have spring noise and how many of you guys are nice and quiet.

I had H&R's last summer, took them out because I could not stop the spring noise. Summer is here again and I'm thinking I might put another set of springs in my car, but if I wind up with the noise again I'm going to go nuts.

Only my fronts made noise, the rear was nice and quiet. I know all the tircks to make them quiet, I wrote most of that sticky thread. I could get them quiet, only for the noise to return 2 weeks later. Now I'm thinking it may have been the way they were installed. Perhaps upside down?

Maybe H&R's are prone to noise and others such as MaxSpeed or B&G's aren't. I do like the drop the H&R's provide the best and they did ride pretty damn good too. Couple them with the AGX's I'm running right now and I think the ride and handling would be totally awsome.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

This sig pic was taken last year with the H&R's in my baby. I love the drop, it made the car look like it should have from the factory.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:43 AM

Re: Max's with H&R do you have spring noise?

Hey man,

I need a ride in your car I want to switch my Eibach Tokico for H&R/Tokcio or H&R /AGX. I think that would help me make my decision. Where in NJ are you?

Kevin
Old 05-13-2002, 10:54 AM

No noise*knock on wood*, have H&R/Tokico set up since May of last year
Old 05-13-2002, 11:01 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Re: Max's with H&R do you have spring noise?

Originally posted by Kevin
Hey man,
I need a ride in your car I want to switch my Eibach Tokico for H&R/Tokcio or H&R /AGX. I think that would help me make my decision. Where in NJ are you?
Kevin
Kevin I'm in Bergen County, just north of Paramus.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:02 AM

My H&Rs are silent...
Old 05-13-2002, 11:25 AM

my H&R's have never made any noise
Old 05-13-2002, 11:26 AM

Re: Re: Re: Max's with H&R do you have spring noise?

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Kevin I'm in Bergen County, just north of Paramus.
That's right where I work. maybe we can meet up at lunch. Let me know.

KEvin
Old 05-13-2002, 11:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've had AGX/H&Rs for a little over a month, and they are very quiet.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My H&Rs were silent. It's been about 8 months and now my front left strut is annoying now

I tried to do that wire wrap thing that Lime wroteup about, but I can't find that stuff at Radio shack or Home Depot. I luckily found one wire wrap that I used on my rear wheel. The H&R noise is bumming me

Anyone got any 19mm wire wrap they can send to me?

DW
Old 05-13-2002, 11:59 AM

I heard that you definitely need wire wrap on those H&Rs to kill the noise. Apparently a number of people went through the same pain, put in the wire wraps, and are extremely happy with the results. Search the forum for postings...
Old 05-13-2002, 12:21 PM

Just to let you know, my H&R's make noises ever so slightly but noticeable.
Old 05-13-2002, 01:04 PM

Right rear "clunks" when negotiating uneven stuff like driveways.
Old 05-13-2002, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
My H&Rs were silent. It's been about 8 months and now my front left strut is annoying now

I tried to do that wire wrap thing that Lime wroteup about, but I can't find that stuff at Radio shack or Home Depot. I luckily found one wire wrap that I used on my rear wheel. The H&R noise is bumming me

Anyone got any 19mm wire wrap they can send to me?

DW
it's in the electrical section of home depot. where all the phone and video cables are.. you should be able to find it there. i bought mine in a combo pack, a thick wire wrap and thin one (thin one is useless). they are like 99 cents each or something like that.
Old 05-13-2002, 04:04 PM

H&R/KONI.
Have left rear creaking noises when I get in the car and just driving on flat pavement. Not sure but I think it's coming from either the coils rubbing or the bottom coil on the spring mount on the Koni shock (metal-metal interface). I still haven't ruled out my addco RSB though!
Old 05-13-2002, 04:30 PM

H&R/AGX combo...

When I drive straight or while turning, there are no noises. Even when I turn the steering wheel all the way to the right or left...no noise. When I go over mild bumps while driving straight or turning...no noise.

When I go up a driveway at an angle, I hear a slight 'erk' noise from the front driver's side spring. When I go over a speed bump fairly fast, I hear a squeak from the rear. I just got an alignment done a couple of weeks ago, and it seemed to quiet down my suspension a bit. Overall, I think my setup is 'quiet'...with a couple of quirks that is....oh well.

Anyway...my 2c.
Old 05-13-2002, 04:31 PM

H&R/Tokico No Noise.
Had it for nearly a year now.
Old 05-13-2002, 07:05 PM

KYB/H&R's & no noises
Old 05-13-2002, 08:30 PM

Yeeah, I've been to 4 home depots in my area in the electrical section. No luck. They all had that smaller wire wrap.

DW

Originally posted by spiff56747

it's in the electrical section of home depot. where all the phone and video cables are.. you should be able to find it there. i bought mine in a combo pack, a thick wire wrap and thin one (thin one is useless). they are like 99 cents each or something like that.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:43 PM

I dont have H&R's but I dont see why you guys are having so much problem with your springs making noise. I usually hvae bad luck with this car and I have Sprints and AGX, and the only part I replaced were the dust boots. EVERYTHING including the polyurethane coil insulaters that were stock and a little worn were reused. Yet I have had ZERO problems with noise from the suspension.

My 1990 Camry lowered by Intrax and KYB GR2, with completely reused parts down to the splitting dust boots and deteriorated bump stops and insulators and it too never had any noises.

What is going on here?
Old 05-24-2002, 04:16 PM

Rear creaking gone!

Had the day off and weather was good so decided I would re-do the rear suspension, looking for anything that might be the cause of this creaking noise, mainly from the driver's side rear.

First, went back to my stock springs and noted their condition. To my surprise, they still had the lower spring insulators on them! DOH! They were almost the exact same color as the springs so I just assumed they didn't come with them (like the fronts did). I was almost happy about this though as I was hoping this was the answer I was looking for.

When I took down the spring/shock assembly, I noted a lot of contact wear on the upper coils of the springs (the ones that are packed pretty tight) where the coils come in contact with each other (just as others have reported). I used the Radioshack wire wrap in segments to cover the 2nd through the 4th coils from the top. While I was there, decided to stiffen up my KONI's by 3/4 rotation too(they were previously on the softest setting).

Anyways, to my complete and utter joy, the car no longer creaks in back! It no longer sounds like a POS! Leave it to me to mess up the install in the first place although I can't rule out the wire wrap either. Woooo hooo! Anyways, while both spring/shock assemblies were off, I jostled the rear axle and no noise was heard from my Addco RSB, so I ruled that out as a possible cause (I was thinking about relubing it).