4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Y-pipe legal for new york state inspections ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 02:15 PM

Y-pipe legal for new york state inspections ?

Will a body shop put it on for me ?
Old 05-13-2002, 05:16 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Re: Y-pipe legal for new york state inspections ?

Originally posted by madmax97
Don't go to the chain ones.... In Dallas, several refused for fear that the epa will kick their butt since they are pretty much replacing two precats with straight piping...... Best way is do it yourself
Old 05-13-2002, 05:28 PM

All the precats that are being removed when you install a y-pipe do is hold in excessive amounts of vehicle emissions which the engine emits when its COLD. after the engine has been running all the emissions should be the same as any other Max (well slightly higher, but it shouldn't be a problem for inspection) thats my word!
Old 05-13-2002, 05:36 PM

Re: Re: Y-pipe legal for new york state inspections ?

Originally posted by alexamparo

All the precats that are being removed when you install a y-pipe do is hold in excessive amounts of vehicle emissions which the engine emits when its COLD. after the engine has been running all the emissions should be the same as any other Max (well slightly higher, but it shouldn't be a problem for inspection) thats my word!
yes - he is right, but i have heard many people say that they got their's installed at midas or sumthing like that. it will only get you in trouble if the cat hasnt heated up yet
Old 05-13-2002, 08:13 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Re: Re: Y-pipe legal for new york state inspections ?

Originally posted by alexamparo

doesnt matter........... its still a shady exhaust job..... what's important isnt wat the precats do, just the fact that they burn off the cold engine gases made 4 shops say that they won't do it..... trust me, I learned from experience, not from what random guys on the org said.

the big deal is that exhaust shops can be raped by the epa, one of the guys at midas mentioned a 10k plus fine if the epa were to find out about an "off road" pipe being installed on a vehicle such as our cars.

Just because the bad gases are only there when the engine is cold doesnt make it any more legal. Sure u can warm the engine and pass with no probs, but it is still essentially illegal.

An to answer the original post.................

I'm trying to figure out why a body shop would install a y pipe on ur car?

- unless ur chummy with a guy there, they will probably rip you off. The best deal I got was 70 bucks from a friend who owns a speed shop.

ur best bet is just to take it to a local mechanic. It's not that hard of a job, ESPECIALLY with air tools
Old 05-14-2002, 06:16 AM

Are located in NYC. Could your friend do it for 85 bucks
Old 05-14-2002, 06:48 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Will it pass inspection? No. If you are downstate you have to pass a emissions test. Upstate you don't. However, even if you pass the emissions test, it is illegal to remove factory cats with such a young car. If the person doing the visual inspection of the exhaust realizes that you are missing those cats, you will fail. I had a Nissan dealer fail me once because of this. However, I've taken the car to oil change places and such since then, and none of them realize it.

So, while its not legal, most high-schoolers working in a oil change place won't realize it.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I went to a Midas and they wouldn't change it, so then I went to a local speed shop and they replaced my Y-pipe for $80. Check out speed/performance shops, they used to doing these kinds of things.

As for passing emissions, I live right outside of Philly, so we have pretty tough emissions standards. I passed with my Y-pipe, and I'm not even sure if the car was warmed up, cause I left it overnight for inspection the next morning.

Here's the post where I showed the results:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=106480

I talked to the manager (Avelinos), and he claimed that as long as the car had a primary Catalytic converter, that it didn't matter if the pre-cats were removed. He said the pre-cats are to reduce emissions even more, and that many other cars don't even have them. This is what I was told, but maybe laws in PA are different then NY?
Old 05-14-2002, 08:28 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by breaux124
This is what I was told, but maybe laws in PA are different then NY?
I would assume so.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by ejj5875

I would assume so.
"Assumption is the mother of all f*ckups."

I agree that I would stay away from Nissan Dealerships, cause they'll definately realize the Y-pipe is aftermarket. I think most everyday inspection places won't even realize it's aftermarket. As long as it passes the test, they shouldn't give you any troubles.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:49 AM

I passed NYS inspection with a Y

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....&highlight=NYS

DW