4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Yet another "Brake Question" thread...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 08:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yet another "Brake Question" thread...

I e-mailed my question to EatRice but now that I am at work (idiots locked down the portal sites with the proxy again) I can’t check it.

I am doing a brake job on my 98 Max next week before a long trip. I ordered XD Stealin’s from EatRice and I got Performance Friction pads from Autozone thanks to recommendations on this site and off. I only got the XD cause I think they look cool… and I have a habit of hot spotting and glazing brake rotors, so I am hoping these will reduce that.

My question is about the rear. The rear doesn’t do much and I don’t want to spend 175 bucks on XD rotors when they are going to do even less in the rear. I was hoping to get Brembo blanks for the rear but after doing a search here, I can’t seem to find anywhere that has them… with the exception of one thread where the link was broken.

With all that in mind… do Brembo blanks and Axxiss Pads sound fine for the rear (I am more concerned with no squeaky in the rear than anything)? And where the hell can you get these seemingly elusive Brembo blanks from? I don’t really want cheap stuff (as in cheap quality)… so I would prefer to steer clear of the no-name brands at Trak Auto and whatnot and the dealer thinks their rotors are gold plated.

Thanks for any and all help.
Old 05-17-2002, 09:00 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Keep your OEM rear rotors. No sense upgrading them, they don't do much braking. Do the X-drilled fronts and upgrade the pads on all 4 corners. I personally would do the rear x-drilled to match the front, but thats me.
Old 05-17-2002, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Keep your OEM rear rotors. No sense upgrading them, they don't do much braking. Do the X-drilled fronts and upgrade the pads on all 4 corners. I personally would do the rear x-drilled to match the front, but thats me.
I just checked my rears on lunch, they aren't bad at all. I thought they would be after 105K but I guess they held up better than I thought.

Probably just have my dad turn them for me when I get to Florida and throw them back on. Just replace the pads which have seen better days.

I have a friend who says he has a good line on CarboTech pads and is checking on rear Maxima applications to see if they are available. He said they are good street pads and won't dust as much as the Axxiss so I might just go that route.

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-17-2002, 01:46 PM

I have axxiss metal masters on my fronts, which are Brembo blanks. Occaisonally a tiny squek, but most of the time quiet. Since the rears do way less work than the fronts, squeeks should be even less of an issue.

When I got my Brembo blanks for the front, I did a search on the net a found a place in Fall River, MA selling them for Maximas. I kinda lost the link and the receipt is bruied somewhere at home so, can't really help you there

DW
Old 06-14-2002, 06:22 AM

Found the place I got my Brembo Blanks from! Here;

http://www.importautopart.net/main.p...tory23.content

Enjoy the ride

DW