4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Shifting with a SC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 08:39 PM

Shifting with a SC?

Hey, i bought a a new max over teh weekend (will sell my old one), I'll post the specs on this beast later, but it has a SC (and intercooler from a volvo) and too much custom work to mention. It is 5spd, is shifting any different with the SC? Some questions: what are teh max speeds to be in each gear, like when racing or say downshifting? How do you best launch a SC max when racing from start or roll? Thanks.

I've been driving stick for a week, so I'm no expert, but getting better by the day.
Old 05-22-2002, 01:10 PM

c'mon guys

bump
Old 05-22-2002, 01:17 PM
MaximaFreak

Re: Shifting with a SC?

Originally posted by brodaiga
Hey, i bought a a new max over teh weekend (will sell my old one), I'll post the specs on this beast later, but it has a SC (and intercooler from a volvo) and too much custom work to mention. It is 5spd, is shifting any different with the SC? Some questions: what are teh max speeds to be in each gear, like when racing or say downshifting? How do you best launch a SC max when racing from start or roll? Thanks.

I've been driving stick for a week, so I'm no expert, but getting better by the day.
How much did you get it for? What year is it? What other mods are done?
Old 05-22-2002, 01:20 PM

Max speed in each gear will be the same as a non-S/Ced maxima. That is based on gear ratio, you'll just hit your redline alot quicker with the S/C. Search around for a dyno sheet for a S/Ced maxima and see where the peak power is, then use that as your shift point.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:43 PM
Banned

please post some more info on this intercooler... sounds interesting.
Old 05-22-2002, 06:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Shift at redline. Peak boost dosent happen till redline.

Best is to easy it out and dance with the clutch. If you drop it and nail it you will spin. What clutch do you have?
Old 05-23-2002, 11:45 AM

it is a intercooler from a volvo that is mounter under the car, custom job, uhm, i have a dual centerforce clutch, in the past cople days i mastered switching from 1-2 with a smooth transition (hold in the clutch with one, and switch to 2 and let go), no one yet asnwered my questions, what is the top speed wach gear can handle without it being damaging to the car? Thanks.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:52 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

it is a intercooler from a volvo that is mounter under the car, custom job, uhm, i have a dual centerforce clutch, in the past cople days i mastered switching from 1-2 with a smooth transition (hold in the clutch with one, and switch to 2 and let go), no one yet asnwered my questions, what is the top speed wach gear can handle without it being damaging to the car? Thanks.
MardiGrasMax answered it... redline, whatever mph that is for each gear (our S/C keeps producing more HP until the revlimiter shuts down the party)...

As for not damaging the engine... running any car hard will wear it away... I've bounced off the redline a lot when I first installed my S/C...
Old 05-23-2002, 11:59 AM

thanks chunger, got it, just needed the realization that the rpm speed corrolates to the mph, it's what u get when u first learn sttick, but hey, everyone has to start somewhere.