4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Intelliglo Needles, how many people have run into probs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 06:50 PM

Intelliglo Needles, how many people have run into probs?

I want to get these..I ordered the guage rings already. I was just wondering if a lot of people screwed their gauges up with these? Your gauges still read correctly? Do you recommend getting these? I love the way they look. Was the install hard? Also, I couldn't find any pics with the needles and chrome rings anywhere with search. Please post some pics if you would. Thanks homies
Old 06-01-2002, 06:56 PM
pjalst

Re: Intelliglo Needles, how many people have run into probs?

Originally posted by puremax
I want to get these..I ordered the guage rings already. I was just wondering if a lot of people screwed their gauges up with these? Your gauges still read correctly? Do you recommend getting these? I love the way they look. Was the install hard? Also, I couldn't find any pics with the needles and chrome rings anywhere with search. Please post some pics if you would. Thanks homies
I don't have em ,but I hear if you don't do it right you can screw them up

Old 06-01-2002, 07:02 PM

what should i watch out for when doing these? whats the estimated time for these?
Old 06-01-2002, 07:10 PM

this is what i wud do....i wudnt try doing it urself, try to get someone professional to do it, even better, send it to import intelligence and they will install for u...
Old 06-01-2002, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by 99MAXSE
this is what i wud do....i wudnt try doing it urself, try to get someone professional to do it, even better, send it to import intelligence and they will install for u...
ok, anyone know of anyone in the SF Bay Area that can do this?
Old 06-01-2002, 08:47 PM

These are a nightmare to install. I screwed up my gauge cluster putting these in.
This is on my Altima. I was the first to have blue needles with indiglo and intelliglo.

Good luck with them. You will need it.

Old 06-01-2002, 09:31 PM

It's a really tedious install process that you have to be extremely careful with. First off, the wires that power the intelliglow system are extremely frail. I installed the LED rings from left to right on the gauge cluster and when I got to the temp gauge, one of the wires was disconnected, presumably during shipping. I would normally just send the thing back but taking the other three rings off was too risky and I thought I could simply solder the disconnected wire back on. I havent had any success thus far.

So in total after the install:
(1) Temp gauge intelliglow needle doesnt work
(2) Temp guage no longer works correctly (all the other needles worked after I put them back on, other people have noted similar problems with getting the temp gauge to work again).

The only other thing is that I think my intelliglow blue system isnt as bright as some other people with the same system. Ive tried different power schemes but I keep ending up with the same thing. One of these days, maybe I'll send it back to be fixed or replaced but Im really leary on taking off the needles again, and messing with the cluster. It's just a pain. If I could do it again, I would just keep the stock setup and put the money towards something else.
Old 06-01-2002, 11:15 PM

It's really not as difficult as people make it out to be. You just need to take your time! I installed reverse indiglos about a month before my needles came in and had some sticking issues at times. When I took off the needles for the needle install I sanded the bottoms of the speedo and tach needles. Not alot just a enough to give a bit of clearance. Just pay attention to where you needles stop after you let the car warm up and mark your calibration points.
Once you've routed the wires and have everything hooked up start the car and adjust the needles before you reassemble. It's not rocket science, you can do it with a little care and patience.

Needles
Old 06-01-2002, 11:39 PM

its time consuming for sure...just take your time, be careful and you should be fine. Be very careful with the LED's and wires they are very fragile and weak. First time one of the wires disconnected so i had to send back to fix. Second time i was much more careful. I had no problem with the tach & speed needles. However my temp & fuel needles were all messed up, so i had to test & correct them while car was turned on and running with the needles plugged in the sockets.

But end product is awesome....I'm thinking of getting the chrome rings now...people are saYing its awesome with them.

good luck.
Old 06-02-2002, 12:17 AM

PITA. I'm currently installing these on my 88, they stick like hell, you have to shave the bottom of the needles, after chopping the orange needle off and putting the white needles on.

Import Intelligence says shave the orange paint off and paint it white, I did that and it looked like $hit. So I opted to break a couple of gauge clusters at my local junkyard to get some white needles.

I can't wait to see how much a PITA it will be on my 97.
Old 06-02-2002, 01:35 AM

****...dude I have very very bad luck with things like this...maybe I will just keep it stock with only the chrome guage rings..my car has already ****ed me off a lot..it would probably be better off left alone. thanks for your help though!
Old 06-02-2002, 11:57 AM

how much would it cost to send it back to intelliglow, that would gaurantee a job done right and prevent a lot of headaches.
Old 06-02-2002, 01:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by brodaiga
how much would it cost to send it back to intelliglow, that would gaurantee a job done right and prevent a lot of headaches.
and what would be the down time for the car?
Old 06-02-2002, 08:41 PM

it was just a suggestion, i was wondering on the price.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:52 AM

no clue, but custommaxima did his like that
Old 06-03-2002, 10:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the job is easy, I didn't f up anything. take your time and read the directions a couple times before hacking at the job. I had to read them like 6 times before understanding what to do.