4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sluggish Brakes - help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 04:32 PM

Sluggish Brakes - help!

I need some help in figuring the potential source of this problem:

I changed my brake pads this past Sat. I never disconnected any brake lines (& didn't bleed them for that reason). On Sat. evening & Sunday, my KVR semi-metallic pads gripped really nicely.... much better than oem pads!

On Monday (today), I took my Max to get AGX's/Progress springs installed. As I'm driving home, I noticed the brakes seemed a bit sluggish. I had to step on the brake pedal pretty hard to slow the car down. (I just had a Type 3 service done & it was recommended that I have the brake fluid flushed. I didn't do it at the time to spread my expenditures out a bit.)

Thinking that might be the source of the problem, I got the brake fluid flushed. After that, it turns out I still have "sluggish brake pedal" symptom... AND I also just noticed my ABS doesn't work.

Any ideas on the possible problem??? This smells like an expensive fix but I'm hoping not!

Thx in advance for your insights!
Old 06-03-2002, 05:17 PM

thats not good, did the brakes make any noise like mine?
my raybesto quiet stop took a couple days to break in, first day was rally soft, then second & third day was HARD to stop, after a week or so it goes away!
Old 06-03-2002, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale
thats not good, did the brakes make any noise like mine?
my raybesto quiet stop took a couple days to break in, first day was rally soft, then second & third day was HARD to stop, after a week or so it goes away!
Funny, my Day #1 & 2 were good. I was VERY impressed by the KVR pads. But Day #3 is crap! Stopping distance is much longer. I have to budget a lot more space for stopping. What the ?????
Old 06-03-2002, 08:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Try a couple of things...

1. Reset your Brake Booster ie. get water/air out of the lines.
(The steps are in your Owners Manual)

2. Wait about a week for them to break in ie. get used to Heat, Compression and Expansion.
(I was paranoid too, like WTF did I waist my F'n Money! then I did the above and now stop tight)
Old 06-04-2002, 07:07 AM

Re: Try a couple of things...

Originally posted by krbga
1. Reset your Brake Booster ie. get water/air out of the lines.
(The steps are in your Owners Manual)
Thx for your insights! btw, I just had my lines flushed yesterday. I thought all the air/water would be bled out. (?)
2. Wait about a week for them to break in ie. get used to Heat, Compression and Expansion.
(I was paranoid too, like WTF did I waist my F'n Money! then I did the above and now stop tight)
Will do. The car does eventually come to a stop...just gotta budget that much more space for it. No driving aggressively for a bit until it's safe. I also sprayed brake cleaner on my rotor again (since I had them machined). Right now, I can't even step on my brakes hard enough to trigger the ABS. I stomped on the brakes first thing this morning when the pads were cold & later when hot.

What kind of pads do you have (metallic/semi-met.)?
Old 06-05-2002, 09:56 AM

did you follow the break-in procedure for the brake pads to heat cycle them?
Old 06-05-2002, 10:13 AM

There's a break-in procedure for brake pads?

Originally posted by got rice?
did you follow the break-in procedure for the brake pads to heat cycle them?
Old 06-05-2002, 11:40 AM

Re: Sluggish Brakes - help!

Originally posted by StygianMax
I need some help in figuring the potential source of this problem:

I changed my brake pads this past Sat. I never disconnected any brake lines (& didn't bleed them for that reason). On Sat. evening & Sunday, my KVR semi-metallic pads gripped really nicely.... much better than oem pads!

On Monday (today), I took my Max to get AGX's/Progress springs installed. As I'm driving home, I noticed the brakes seemed a bit sluggish. I had to step on the brake pedal pretty hard to slow the car down. (I just had a Type 3 service done & it was recommended that I have the brake fluid flushed. I didn't do it at the time to spread my expenditures out a bit.)

Thinking that might be the source of the problem, I got the brake fluid flushed. After that, it turns out I still have "sluggish brake pedal" symptom... AND I also just noticed my ABS doesn't work.

Any ideas on the possible problem??? This smells like an expensive fix but I'm hoping not!

Thx in advance for your insights!
If the brakes worked good until you had the AGX's installed and now the ABS does not work, I think that they screwed up your brakes. They may have damaged one or more of the ABS sensors that are mounted to the lower control arm. They may have left greasy fingerprints on the rotors when they re-assembled everyting. You ought to pull the wheels (or have them do it in your presence) and inspect everything.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:53 AM

Re: Re: Sluggish Brakes - help!

Originally posted by sinewave

If the brakes worked good until you had the AGX's installed and now the ABS does not work, I think that they screwed up your brakes. They may have damaged one or more of the ABS sensors that are mounted to the lower control arm. They may have left greasy fingerprints on the rotors when they re-assembled everyting. You ought to pull the wheels (or have them do it in your presence) and inspect everything.
Hey, thx for your feedback. As it turns out, there was a bit of longer "break-in" period than I first thought. It would've been nice had that been indicated on the box containing the pads. I'm on Day#5 of using the pads & they do grip a LOT better. ABS now can be triggered too.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Sluggish Brakes - help!

Hey, thx for your feedback. As it turns out, there was a bit of longer "break-in" period than I first thought. It would've been nice had that been indicated on the box containing the pads. I'm on Day#5 of using the pads & they do grip a LOT better. ABS now can be triggered too.
any noise any noise?? mine got louder again
Old 06-05-2002, 02:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sluggish Brakes - help!

Originally posted by costcowholesale

any noise any noise?? mine got louder again
Nothing unusual.
Old 06-05-2002, 03:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sluggish Brakes - help!

Nothing unusual.
is there any *usual noise* <- thats what you told your wife