4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Have an auto - should I do a conversion to 5 spd?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 07:52 PM

Transmission

I have a automatic, does this put me in a disadvantage?

It seems like every one has a manual, im thinking about doing a conversion. Is this a smart move?
Old 06-04-2002, 08:21 PM

Sure is...many seem to be doing this nowadays on here.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:26 PM

Cost

well how much will a conversion cost?
Old 06-04-2002, 08:27 PM

Re: Transmission

Originally posted by jlee4

It seems like every one has a manual, im thinking about doing a conversion. Is this a smart move?
If you can find a 5-speed Maxima for sale in your area then sell your current Maxima and buy it. If that's not a possibility, and you really want to do the conversion, then go ahead.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:58 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

I would not recommend the conversion unless you found a special guy that knows all about doing them, or you are very mechanically inclined and have alot of patience. Donor cars and auctions don't hurt either. Without any of this, I would not recommend.

Without Chaz, I wouldn't even be thinking of converting.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:03 PM

I would suggest selling your and buying a 5-sp. Save the issues and the hassle of the converison. Who knows it might get screwed up and you'll be worse off.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:19 PM

having a 5 speed is a HUGE advantage, i have like every damn bolt on, and i got beat by a stock 5 speed maxima i was like ooooooh my god.... like my boy craig said unless you have a hook up its going to be alot of $ almost not even worth it, if you can sell yours and get a factory 5 speed go for it, if not, then exspect to pay 2500-3000 from a local shop, and for that u might as well go turbo or superC

-ChRi§
Old 06-04-2002, 09:32 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Just take your TIME to find all the parts, and you can do it relatively cheap. You do not need to have hook-ups, look at www.car-parts.com and you can find some really good prices. You have to have the patience to wait however till you find a good deal. I paid $700 for my 5spd shipped, but it only has 7k miles on it, and it's an VLSD. You can get tranny's from about $500+ and usually work out a deal with the place you get your tranny from for pretty cheap. My conversion is going to cost me about $300 total after I sell my auto tranny. Granted, if you are not mechanically inclined, it will cost you a TON to get it installed, but if you do it yourself, cost will be cheap. Good luck.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by mtrai760
Just take your TIME to find all the parts, and you can do it relatively cheap. You do not need to have hook-ups, look at www.car-parts.com and you can find some really good prices. You have to have the patience to wait however till you find a good deal. I paid $700 for my 5spd shipped, but it only has 7k miles on it, and it's an VLSD. You can get tranny's from about $500+ and usually work out a deal with the place you get your tranny from for pretty cheap. My conversion is going to cost me about $300 total after I sell my auto tranny. Granted, if you are not mechanically inclined, it will cost you a TON to get it installed, but if you do it yourself, cost will be cheap. Good luck.
Hey mtrai760, Im the guy you sold your air/fule ratio guage too.... let me ask you , where do you plan to sell your auto? not many people want auto, if anything there looking for a 5-speed....

-ChRi§
Old 06-04-2002, 09:44 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

I already have a buyer lined up, but thanks for asking. I don't do anything involving money without a plan. Auto only has 8k miles on it too...

Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE

Hey mtrai760, Im the guy you sold your air/fule ratio guage too.... let me ask you , where do you plan to sell your auto? not many people want auto, if anything there looking for a 5-speed....

-ChRi§
Old 06-04-2002, 10:36 PM

Plenty of people want auto's, just not on the ORG. Shops and people trying to fix car cheap want used auto's, I'd bet their in higher demand just like auto cars are.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:48 PM

should you - well like they said check around for 5spd one... the cost still, for me, worked out muuuuch better to convert. it is not too hard to do, and finding the stuff isn't that hard either if you just sit down and call places. also a little luck helps too

Just tonight I spent in the garage.. I purchased a lsd 5spd tranny earlier today, so I swapped it out tonight... finally at 1am I took it out for the test drive, it is GREAT>... I wouldnt go back to auto for anything now, , ,

go for it !

check out the instructions if you haven't already
http://www.css.tayloru.edu/~hheiner/hlh0501
Old 06-04-2002, 11:02 PM

At a disadvantage to who/what?
Old 06-05-2002, 12:00 AM
Sports Button FTW

if u want to do conversion perfectly, you'll have to get some parts new and everything will cost you roughly 1700 + labor depending on how lucky u r to find parts...it may be cheaper than that or a little more...i found all parts for 1900 but got jipped a little...

also u have to remember u can sell your auto and get money back.......
Old 06-05-2002, 12:04 AM
Custom User Title...

i want a 5sp soo bad. this probably developed from reading about all the fun and advantages people on this site talk about...plus i miss driving one. i made the mistake of buying automatic but have put so much work and care into mine that i decided i can wait. there is always going to be things we want but don't necessarily need so that's what i gotta keep telling myself. plus, i am still paying off my car for a while so... i say keep the auto for now and enjoy the better gas mileage. but if you really need one and can get the parts go for it, or search for a great condition 5sp one and just sell your auto. best of luck deciding...i'm the worst decision maker ever
Old 06-05-2002, 02:05 AM

Originally posted by Jepht20
i want a 5sp soo bad. this probably developed from reading about all the fun and advantages people on this site talk about...plus i miss driving one. i made the mistake of buying automatic but have put so much work and care into mine that i decided i can wait. there is always going to be things we want but don't necessarily need so that's what i gotta keep telling myself. plus, i am still paying off my car for a while so... i say keep the auto for now and enjoy the better gas mileage. but if you really need one and can get the parts go for it, or search for a great condition 5sp one and just sell your auto. best of luck deciding...i'm the worst decision maker ever
I believe that the 5speeds get better gas milage.

I wish I can have 5speed but that wouldnt be anytime soon since im poor for now
Old 06-05-2002, 06:20 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by Nismo

I believe that the 5speeds get better gas milage.

can i EVER be the first to correct someone?! dam, stop taking my glory!! you get about 3 to 5 more miles per gallon when driving stick over auto
Old 06-05-2002, 06:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Speaking from personal experience in terms of performance a 5-spd is faster than an auto IF the 5-spd driver knows how to shift. This also assumes that the 5-spd driver can make perfect shifts all the time. Right now my 1/4 mi times are the same as modded autos in my area (15.1 sec). The reason why is that it is difficult to nail a good launch with a 5-spd. It takes alot of practice to be able to launch and get a good 60' time. The one time I raced an I30 auto from 60mph I did put 1-1.5 car lenghts on it.

How you spend your money is up to you. As it has been mentioned elsewhere you will kill what little resale value you have if you decide to trade in or sell a converted max.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:13 AM

Re: Re: Transmission

Originally posted by speedtrip

Speaking from personal experience in terms of performance a 5-spd is faster than an auto IF the 5-spd driver knows how to shift. This also assumes that the 5-spd driver can make perfect shifts all the time. Right now my 1/4 mi times are the same as modded autos in my area (15.1 sec). The reason why is that it is difficult to nail a good launch with a 5-spd. It takes alot of practice to be able to launch and get a good 60' time. The one time I raced an I30 auto from 60mph I did put 1-1.5 car lenghts on it.

How you spend your money is up to you. As it has been mentioned elsewhere you will kill what little resale value you have if you decide to trade in or sell a converted max.
hey speedtrip , are thoes 1/4 times with a stock 5 speed or no? you siad your times are the same as a modded auto...well if your stock thats good, but your post says u have intake and some othere, when u ran your times were stock or no, becuase if not then thoes times suck for a 5 speed
Old 06-05-2002, 07:55 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally posted by meccanoble

can i EVER be the first to correct someone?! dam, stop taking my glory!! you get about 3 to 5 more miles per gallon when driving stick over auto
Sorry mecca, but with the Max , at least the with the 4th gen, that was not the case, the stick actually got worse #'s on the highway, by 1 mpg, and beat the auto in the city by 1mpg, but that's just EPA, they are probably equal, but 5spds are much more fun to drive.

My total price for my conversion is about 2000 not including labor, which Cranman is going to do for cheap.

725 for tranny, preferably LSD
280 for axles from raxles
120 for motor mnt. from Nissan.
400 for shift linkage + clutch piping from Tustin Nissan
350 for ACT clutch group deal
85 for Pacetter STS
110 for Master cyl, slave cyl, and pedals.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Transmission

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE

hey speedtrip , are thoes 1/4 times with a stock 5 speed or no? you siad your times are the same as a modded auto...well if your stock thats good, but your post says u have intake and some othere, when u ran your times were stock or no, becuase if not then thoes times suck for a 5 speed
[/QUOTE

The 15.1 is with my max modded. Yes my car should be faster than a 15.1 but the times don't suck. Modded 5-spd maximas run 14.7-14.8s at this track and these are guys that have more experience than me. This dragstrip is also known as the slower one in the area and traction is at a premium. Manual transmission fwd cars have a hard time hooking up at this track. My 15.1 was my first time out. My 60' time is 2.4 sec so I know where I have to improve. The same night I was out a modded E36 M3 manual ran a 14.3 so I don't feel to bad. As I'm sure you know racing at the track and street are two different things.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:03 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Transmission

[QUOTE]Originally posted by speedtrip

[/QUOTE

The 15.1 is with my max modded. Yes my car should be faster than a 15.1 but the times don't suck. Modded 5-spd maximas run 14.7-14.8s at this track and these are guys that have more experience than me. This dragstrip is also known as the slower one in the area and traction is at a premium. Manual transmission fwd cars have a hard time hooking up at this track. My 15.1 was my first time out. My 60' time is 2.4 sec so I know where I have to improve. The same night I was out a modded E36 M3 manual ran a 14.3 so I don't feel to bad. As I'm sure you know racing at the track and street are two different things.
yes your right, i totaly forgot about the diffrent areas and sea levels and how that messes with times.... Im in Florida, so i dident think anything of it, but yeah i know how the track is, the first time there can be really scary, i know off hang that 5 speeds are faster, i have every bolt on , on my auto max ( soon to be 5 speed) and i raced a kid who took out his moms 5 speed, completly stock, the kid couldent drive for ****, missing 2nd gear, and red lineing 3rd, he still beat me by half a car... i defently want a 5 speed bad!

-ChRi§
Old 06-05-2002, 08:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey 97 GLE,

where'd you get your filter from?? it looks like the new JWT but it's not, the JWT one is wider.

DW

Originally posted by 97GLE
Plenty of people want auto's, just not on the ORG. Shops and people trying to fix car cheap want used auto's, I'd bet their in higher demand just like auto cars are.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by NmexMAX

Sorry mecca, but with the Max , at least the with the 4th gen, that was not the case, the stick actually got worse #'s on the highway, by 1 mpg, and beat the auto in the city by 1mpg, but that's just EPA, they are probably equal, but 5spds are much more fun to drive.

My total price for my conversion is about 2000 not including labor, which Cranman is going to do for cheap.

725 for tranny, preferably LSD
280 for axles from raxles
120 for motor mnt. from Nissan.
400 for shift linkage + clutch piping from Tustin Nissan
350 for ACT clutch group deal
85 for Pacetter STS
110 for Master cyl, slave cyl, and pedals.
your exactly right about the mileage.. 4th gen actually gets slightly poorer, which is hard to believe.

also, you can get a lot of your conversion stuff much cheaper, say the shift linkage / hydrolic clutch lines stuff, if you buy it off another maxima (junkyard).. DO get the master / slave cylinders new, and the clutch new, but besides that... call a yard, tell them all the stuff you need , and they will give you a price. it should be much less. also, I payed 600$ for my LSD 5spd tranny I purchased and installed yesterday. had 70k miles.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:48 AM

A freind of mine bought it for his Civic off ebay, but then he decided to get a CAI before he used it so I bought it off him for $15. He didn't know who made it either.

It has no markings on it at all, but I have two K&N filters on other cars and it seems higher quality then them. Also, its very silver and it looked awesome before I oiled it.

Theirs more picture of it on my sight, if anyone recognizes it, I'd like to know
Old 06-05-2002, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by 97GLE
A freind of mine bought it for his Civic off ebay, but then he decided to get a CAI before he used it so I bought it off him for $15. He didn't know who made it either.

It has no markings on it at all, but I have two K&N filters on other cars and it seems higher quality then them. Also, its very silver and it looked awesome before I oiled it.

Theirs more picture of it on my sight, if anyone recognizes it, I'd like to know
Hey did you say u had extra cone filters? if so u think i can bum one off of ya?

Its time to change mine, if anyone has any hook ups on cone filters let me know

-ChRi§
Old 06-05-2002, 08:56 AM

Hey did you say u had extra cone filters? if so u think i can bum one off of ya?

Its time to change mine, if anyone has any hook ups on cone filters let me know

-ChRi§
No ones in a Suburban and the others on an LT1 in the boat.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:45 AM
Custom User Title...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NmexMax
[B]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hlh0501
[B]

your exactly right about the mileage.. 4th gen actually gets slightly poorer, which is hard to believe.

glad to see some people know what they're talking about and don't just jump to conclusions.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:10 PM

Keep the auto. Even for what it is, I still think the auto is an amazing performer. If I ever decide I want to be a full blown racer, I'll buy another car.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:20 PM
I'm so hood

For me, when I was looking for my integra replacement last year, I wasn't even considering automatic maximas. I can't stand the lack of control an automatic has to provide in a car that's supposed to be "fun to drive". I'd consider driving an auto, if I bought a truck/SUV, or more of a "rollin"-type machine, ie a 94-95 Legend GS (tho I'd rather have the stick there, but not easy to find) or a 95 Impala SS...

That depends. If you think the only objective out on the road is who can "spank" who in terms of speed, then yes. However, if you really want to push that to the envelope and mod your max out to run 9-10 sec quarters, then you'll probably need both hands for the wheel

It seems like every one has a manual
*boggle*...they do? 5-speed maximas are outnumbered quite a bit by autos. Here, it's horribly difficult to find a 5-speed max.

im thinking about doing a conversion. Is this a smart move?
I'd say to only do the conversion if you're really passionate about working with cars, and want to learn more...which means doing the work yourself, or at the least, helping someone who's knowledgable and can undertake the project.
Old 06-05-2002, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by deezo
Keep the auto. Even for what it is, I still think the auto is an amazing performer. If I ever decide I want to be a full blown racer, I'll buy another car.

I have to agree with Deezo. I too have thought about doing a 5spd swap. Too much of a hassle if you ask me. I think I'll just have to put up with the auto for now. If I want a stick, I might as well get another car and no...definitely not another 4th Maxima. If I'm going to get another car, might as well get something different. I don't want to get another 4th gen Maxima(even though it'll be 5spd)and maybe wanting to sell it a few years later.