4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

red/clear taillight diy question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 12:55 AM

red/clear taillight diy question

ok i got the dremel tool, the heat gun, gloves, etc... and im about to do the red/clear tail light mod on my 98 maxima; i went to home depot today and looked at the flourescent light covers and my question is which light cover did u guys use? im gonna go with acrylic i know that much but i dont know to use the clear flourescent or the white flourescent...the employees let me take each out to my car and compare them...the white looks too white and it seems that not enough light would shine through them..but the clear just looks..too..clear. also the pattern on them is more of round indentions vs. the more squared indention pattern on the reverse lights but i dont think that will be noticeable
Thanks,
Tom
Old 06-05-2002, 04:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm planning on doing all four lights so the white plastic matches.
Old 06-05-2002, 02:57 PM

no one knows which color light cover i need?
Old 06-05-2002, 04:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by TN-Max
no one knows which color light cover i need?
I answered white but I should have said clear. I can't see how the white one would allow any light through.
check these pictures out.
custommaxima.com
Old 06-05-2002, 04:19 PM

Re: red/clear taillight diy question

Originally posted by TN-Max
ok i got the dremel tool, the heat gun, gloves, etc... and im about to do the red/clear tail light mod on my 98 maxima; i went to home depot today and looked at the flourescent light covers and my question is which light cover did u guys use? im gonna go with acrylic i know that much but i dont know to use the clear flourescent or the white flourescent...the employees let me take each out to my car and compare them...the white looks too white and it seems that not enough light would shine through them..but the clear just looks..too..clear. also the pattern on them is more of round indentions vs. the more squared indention pattern on the reverse lights but i dont think that will be noticeable
Thanks,
Tom
hey man, i'm getting ready to do mine as well, and I was wondering the same thing...but what's the difference between the styrene and the acrylic? I picked up the styrene prismatic clear...and I'm pretty sure you should go with clear, because to me, white didn't look like it would let much through...hopefully someone who has done it before will stop in and let us know
Old 06-05-2002, 06:00 PM

i'll give a nice little bumpity bump bump
Old 06-06-2002, 01:01 AM

i guess ill go acrylic clear since no one of the hundreds that have done this knows for sure...acrylic is just a stronger platic vs the styrene and its supposed to keep the clear color longer? i dont know thats what i read so i spent an extra dollar and got acrylic
Old 06-06-2002, 02:10 AM

What I did was simple. take one of those LED lights that are really bright and hold them behind each of the flourescent cover sheets. get the one that disperses the light the best. it's not only the color of the plastic, but the pattern of the bumps.