4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need opinions on a Catback system vs. new pipes, cat convet, muffler

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 06:06 PM

Need opinions on a Catback system vs. new pipes, cat convet, muffler

Sorry about that last post, but I wanna know if there is an advantage to getting a catback system, such as gretty's, or if getting a new y-pipe, b-pipe, cat convertor, and new muffler will do the same job. Alo, about how much horsepower will you gain from each?
Old 06-06-2002, 06:14 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Re: Need opinions on a Catback system vs. new pipes, cat convet, muffler

Originally posted by HomeLan
Sorry about that last post, but I wanna know if there is an advantage to getting a catback system, such as gretty's, or if getting a new y-pipe, b-pipe, cat convertor, and new muffler will do the same job. Alo, about how much horsepower will you gain from each?
1)Downpipe (Y-pipe): Approx. 15HP to the wheels
2)Midpipe (B-pipe): Approx. 4-5HP to the wheels
3)Catalyst: Approx. 3-5HP to the wheels
4)Muffler: Approx. 1-3HP to the wheels

Greddy comes with the B-pipe and muffler. The gains are probubly 8HP to the crank. The Huge gain is from the downpipe. I got a custom dual exhaust made at a local exhaust shop using a flowmasters V-force muffler, straight through b-pipe, ect. I have a Warpspeed Y-pipe, and the stock catalyst. I left the cat converter stock b/c my system is really pollutive and the stock cat keeps it somewhat quite and clean. IMHO I would never buy a single catback such as a greddy. I hate huge mufflers/tips. Go check out your local exhaust shop before you spend tons of money on the greddy.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-2002, 06:17 PM

thanks forhte info, but I actually was thinking of getting the parts separately, not the whole greddy catback system. I already got an Arospeed Universal Bomb Muffler for my car.
Old 06-06-2002, 06:19 PM

thanks forhte info, but I actually was thinking of getting the parts separately, not the whole greddy catback system. I already got an Arospeed Universal Bomb Muffler for my car.
In that case, here are your 2 best options.

1)Go totally warpspeed. They have excellent Y-pipes at unbeatable prices. Mandrel bent Aluminized 2.5" downpipe with a 4 year warrenty. They have mandrel bent b-pipes for $50 bucks.

1)Go Warpspeed for the downpipe, and get a custom b-pipe bent at a local exhaust place.
Old 06-06-2002, 06:21 PM

awesome, thanks crag mack. also, is RT cat converters one of the best out there?
Old 06-06-2002, 08:49 PM

awesome, thanks crag mack. also, is RT cat converters one of the best out there?
No problem bro.

I have heard of R/T cats falling apart too quickly.

Actually, your gonna wanna go Warpspeed for the catalyst as well. They got everything don't they?

Anyways, yea they have a good cat that I think is stainless steel for like $60 less than the R/T. If I were you i'd leave that stock though for sound and pollution reasons.
Old 06-07-2002, 12:05 PM

Ok, well I'll be checking into a lot of thing before getting the cat. Once again, thanks for all the info craig mack.