4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sould I cancel my Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 07:41 AM

Sould I cancel my Extended Warranty?

When I bought my 96 GXE (Automagic) 3 months ago, the dealer offered me a 2 yr/24k extended warranty for $675.00 that covers all og the drive train (except the emission controls - knock, O2, MAF sensors etc), the suspension including CV's, struts, brakes etc and also most of the electricals. I got the warranty when I purchased the car since I wanted the security at the time, but now I've driven it for 4k miles (3 months) and it has every indication that it was well cared for by the previous owner, and I do all my maintenence religiously as well. Should I cancel the remainder of the warranty and get a pro-rated refund back or just hang on the cheap security.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Sould I cancel my Extended Warranty?

Originally posted by kushane
When I bought my 96 GXE (Automagic) 3 months ago, the dealer offered me a 2 yr/24k extended warranty for $675.00 that covers all og the drive train (except the emission controls - knock, O2, MAF sensors etc), the suspension including CV's, struts, brakes etc and also most of the electricals. I got the warranty when I purchased the car since I wanted the security at the time, but now I've driven it for 4k miles (3 months) and it has every indication that it was well cared for by the previous owner, and I do all my maintenence religiously as well. Should I cancel the remainder of the warranty and get a pro-rated refund back or just hang on the cheap security.
The money has been spent, I would hang on to it. Too bad it doesn't cover the MOST common maxima ailments though, the KS, MAF and O2 sensors. I would though, $675 is cheap!
Old 06-11-2002, 08:34 AM

Re: Sould I cancel my Extended Warranty?

, I advised that it canceling your extended warranty is not the wises thing to do, if your transmission goes you could cost you a little over $2500, way more than the price of you service contract. Trust me it is worth holding on to it. anyway how many miles are on your car?
Old 06-11-2002, 08:40 AM

Re: Re: Sould I cancel my Extended Warranty?

Originally posted by Blaximazx
, I advised that it canceling your extended warranty is not the wises thing to do, if your transmission goes you could cost you a little over $2500, way more than the price of you service contract. Trust me it is worth holding on to it. anyway how many miles are on your car?

It has 49k now and the warranty will cover it till 69k.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: Sould I cancel my Extended Warranty?

It has 49k now and the warranty will cover it till 69k.
Well the factory powertrain warr is for 5yrs or 60K miles which ever occurs first so that extended warranty will cover you against any major powertrain failures, just keep up you normal maintence an you should not have any major problems in the future. I have over 147K miles on my maxima and I only had to replace the starter and the usual o2 sensors. Good luck!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2002, 10:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

keep it. all ya need is one major thing to go wrong and itll pay for itself and then some. i passed on an extended warranty on my last car and ended up spendin over 4k in repairs that all woulda been covered by the contract.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by finny
keep it. all ya need is one major thing to go wrong and itll pay for itself and then some. i passed on an extended warranty on my last car and ended up spendin over 4k in repairs that all woulda been covered by the contract.
Seems that most are in the opinion I should keep the warranty. The coverage provided by the dealership was comparable to those offered by Warrantybynet and some of the other places - but for about $300 cheaper. So keep the warranty it shall be.

Thanks for the advice.