4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Reverse gear on Automatic Maximas... please help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 07:26 PM

Reverse gear on Automatic Maximas... please help.

this is probably a stupid question, but on a 95-99 Auto tranny maxima, is the speedometer supposed to go up when u put the car in the reverse? I haven't exactly tried flooring it when in reverse gear, but when I shift to "R" and just let go of the gas and brake pedal (car is rolling back automatically), is the speedometer needle supposed to be at 0mph still? Or is it supposed to be at 5-10mph?

The reason why I ask this is because I'm not sure if I screwed up my speedometer needle when taking apart the gauge cluster. Although it probably isn't necessary to know how fast I'm going in reverse, I'd still like to know if there's something wrong with it. My speedometer seems to be ok when I'm on "D". Everything seems accurate. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:31 PM

Re: Reverse gear on Automatic Maximas... please help.

Originally posted by maximaxgtr
this is probably a stupid question, but on a 95-99 Auto tranny maxima, is the speedometer supposed to go up when u put the car in the reverse? I haven't exactly tried flooring it when in reverse gear, but when I shift to "R" and just let go of the gas and brake pedal (car is rolling back automatically), is the speedometer needle supposed to be at 0mph still? Or is it supposed to be at 5-10mph?

The reason why I ask this is because I'm not sure if I screwed up my speedometer needle when taking apart the gauge cluster. Although it probably isn't necessary to know how fast I'm going in reverse, I'd still like to know if there's something wrong with it. My speedometer seems to be ok when I'm on "D". Everything seems accurate. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Are you sure it's not your tachometer? Your RPM's rising?
Old 06-11-2002, 07:31 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Yes, the speedo still works in reverse.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:00 PM

Thanks for replying guys... yea, i floored my maxima in reverse just now and my speedometer did go up. my tachometer seems to go up fine too. Although I did notice that my speedometer needle seems to struggle going up when i floored it in reverse. I think it may be my indiglo gauges that's causing the problem.

I just have 1 question though... what does your speedometer read if u just let the car roll back in reverse without touching the gas or brake pedal? Thanks guys.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:03 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by maximaxgtr
I just have 1 question though... what does your speedometer read if u just let the car roll back in reverse without touching the gas or brake pedal? Thanks guys.
The speedo will give you your speed whnever the wheels are turning, it is reading from the ring gear in the diff.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:20 PM

ic... well, i just worry if my speedometer is way off in reverse or something. cuz i thought i would get some sort of reading besides 0mph when NOT touching the brake or gas in reverse gear and I'm moving. Maybe its the indiglo gauges that's giving the needle a hard time to go up?

I did let my car roll in "D" without touching the gas or brake and it came out to around 10mph supposedly. Should this speedometer reading on "D" (when not touching gas/brake) be exactly the same as the reverse gear (when not touching gas/brake)?