4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

help!!! after jump start, couple things don't work??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 12:32 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

help!!! after jump start, couple things don't work??

Last night, I was clearing out my corners and I left my radio on. (Thats was dumb) I drain my battery on accident and after jump starting the car, I found that my clock doesn't come on, my remote doesn't work and the light behind the defrogger button went out. WTF??? BY draining the batt did it reset my ecu and cost they things not ot work???
Old 06-18-2002, 12:56 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: help!!! after jump start, couple things don't work??

Originally posted by jcy98maxse
Last night, I was clearing out my corners and I left my radio on. (Thats was dumb) I drain my battery on accident and after jump starting the car, I found that my clock doesn't come on, my remote doesn't work and the light behind the defrogger button went out. WTF??? BY draining the batt did it reset my ecu and cost they things not ot work???
Check the 'ACC' fuse in the fuse box. Make sure it didn't blow.
Old 06-18-2002, 08:42 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Re: Re: help!!! after jump start, couple things don't work??

Originally posted by ejj5875

Check the 'ACC' fuse in the fuse box. Make sure it didn't blow.
the acc in the engine fuse box didn't blow, it was still connected up top. I also found that my homelink transmitter don't won't and whenever I turn off my car and on again, the trip a/b ion ther odometer resets?? wtf???
Old 06-18-2002, 09:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: help!!! after jump start, couple things don't work??

the acc in the engine fuse box didn't blow, it was still connected up top. I also found that my homelink transmitter don't won't and whenever I turn off my car and on again, the trip a/b ion ther odometer resets?? wtf???
i'm wonderin if u fried ur ecu...
Old 06-18-2002, 09:42 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Re: Re: Re: Re: help!!! after jump start, couple things don't work??

Originally posted by Yellowbrother

i'm wonderin if u fried ur ecu...
thats not what I want to hear. I have extended warranty so i'm hoping it would be covered if not I'm screwed. I don't know how that would be possible though, I just jump started it...
Old 06-18-2002, 09:48 PM

spike/surge in power does wonder.....
Old 06-18-2002, 09:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: help!!! after jump start, couple things don't work??

ECU has nothing to do with the trip resetting. Trip will reset whenever power is interrupted to the meter.

You've blown a fuse somewhere. I'd start with the easiest (fuse block panel under dash) and check all fuses, then I'd check the ones in the engine compartment.

Also check the fusible links underhood. They're not fuses, but rather a fuse link with a see-through window so you can see if it's fried or not.

Light behind the defogger button (I'm assuming you mean the orange LED) being out means the defogger is not working, meaning no power to defogger circuit.

I'm starting to suspect that your main fusible link (engine compartment) is blown.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:52 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: help!!! after jump start, couple things don't work??

Originally posted by pocketrocket
ECU has nothing to do with the trip resetting. Trip will reset whenever power is interrupted to the meter.

You've blown a fuse somewhere. I'd start with the easiest (fuse block panel under dash) and check all fuses, then I'd check the ones in the engine compartment.

Also check the fusible links underhood. They're not fuses, but rather a fuse link with a see-through window so you can see if it's fried or not.

Light behind the defogger button (I'm assuming you mean the orange LED) being out means the defogger is not working, meaning no power to defogger circuit.

I'm starting to suspect that your main fusible link (engine compartment) is blown.
I'll check the fuses again, I check most of them and the fusible links before and they seems fine. I guess the defrogger light is okay. the orange led comes on so thats ok. However I am still currently trying to troubleshoot the problem:
So far my Homelink trans./ Security system/ clock is not working, also the trip A/B in the odometer resets everytime the car restarts.
I was thinking it was either a blown fuse or something in relation to the memory. I thought of the ecu but doesn't make sense cuz more things should be wrong (ie check engine light instructment lights)
so I am stuck!!
Old 06-18-2002, 11:22 PM

that is the thing with all the electronics on new cars these days, you can't go around jump starting the car with those old *** jumper cables. this is bound to happen.

1st check all the fuses, for sure one is blown.
2nd a relay may have also gone bad.

if you can't fix the car, and if it's still under warranty, let the dealer worry about it.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:27 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Originally posted by DaddyMac
that is the thing with all the electronics on new cars these days, you can't go around jump starting the car with those old *** jumper cables. this is bound to happen.

1st check all the fuses, for sure one is blown.
2nd a relay may have also gone bad.

if you can't fix the car, and if it's still under warranty, let the dealer worry about it.
I call a nissan dealership and one of the guys mention something about jump starting the car backwards??? How would that be possible? If he meant that I switch the + and - on one side of the cable, how would the dead battery get its power from??
Old 06-18-2002, 11:51 PM

if you got the warranty, just take it to the dealer and they should take care of it
Old 06-18-2002, 11:54 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
if you got the warranty, just take it to the dealer and they should take care of it
I know but its alway good to know what the problem is, for reassurance and so I know the dealership ain't trying anything on me. Also if its something that I can fix (for pretty cheap like a fuse) I don't want to pay the $100 deductable.
Old 06-19-2002, 04:22 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

I call a nissan dealership and one of the guys mention something about jump starting the car backwards??? How would that be possible? If he meant that I switch the + and - on one side of the cable, how would the dead battery get its power from??
Its not. I think he was just asking if you did...because if you did, it could cause all of these problems.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:54 AM

I investigated a battery field issue once where someone had tried to jumpstart with the cables reversed.

Blew the main (BAT) fusible link, the battery was damaged (caps flew off, cover cracked, acid spewed all over the place, etc.)

Replaced the battery and the car started fine but many items had lost power because they were driven by the F/L (fusible link). I believe the meter didn't work, radio, illumination, etc. I believe the battery was also not charging but I don't remember.

If you had jumpstarted the car with the cables reversed, you'd know .. trust me! The damage will be obvious.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:58 AM

jcy98maxse

You need to check all fuses and fusible links. If they check out fine, you need to identify what functions work and what don't. Make a list.

Many items are tied to the same power circuit, the circuit goes and all goes.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For future reference,when jumping a car, especially today's highly electronic cars like our Maxima, put the battery cables on the good car as normal, red to positive, black to negative. But, on the dead car, put the red to positive, and negative to ground, preferrably a very good ground like the engine block on the dead car.

DW
Old 06-19-2002, 01:16 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

jcy98maxse

You need to check all fuses and fusible links. If they check out fine, you need to identify what functions work and what don't. Make a list.

Just found the problem!!!! The upper right corner (elec parts) fuse was blown. It was hidden up top and was one of the ones I missed. Now everything seems fine. Everything works!!!!
I like to thank all of you who posted, you guys' been a great help and this save me from paying my warranty deductable
Thanx again!!
Old 12-07-2002, 08:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

jcy98maxse

I just had the same thing happen to me. I was rewiring my Sony deck. All was fine but when I put everything back together it was dead. Not only that, I noticed my clock was out and so was my keyless entry. I checked all the fuses under the hood and they checked out. I then went through the tedious task of checking every single one of those tiny fuses under the dash.

Maybe this will save you some time. The one that blew in my Maxima (1995 GXE) was the top fuse in the last column. It is marked "Elect Parts" and takes a 7.5 fuse. Figures...it was the last one I checked. Everything returned back to normal.

Hope that helps!!
Old 08-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jcy98maxse
I'll check the fuses again, I check most of them and the fusible links before and they seems fine. I guess the defrogger light is okay. the orange led comes on so thats ok. However I am still currently trying to troubleshoot the problem:
So far my Homelink trans./ Security system/ clock is not working, also the trip A/B in the odometer resets everytime the car restarts.
I was thinking it was either a blown fuse or something in relation to the memory. I thought of the ecu but doesn't make sense cuz more things should be wrong (ie check engine light instructment lights)
so I am stuck!!
Is there a fuse for the ECU/ECM? Just wondering, having trouble locating a fuse specifically for the ECU/ECM.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:06 PM

This is adding to this hopefully people wont see it as a repeat.

Basicly My GF had my Maxima(95) and she apperently left either the wippers on...i know but it was switched on when i jumped it, or b she left the doom on and said she didnt she switched it and left it on...anyways i jump started it. As a dumbass that i am i put the one on the Maxima on oppisite etc (+ with -) (- with +) when jumping. So it made smoke so i quickly switched. So i got it to start but Stereo and my clock were not working. So i got the new battery and nothing. So i came here and read this
[ucffl]
..."Maybe this will save you some time. The one that blew in my Maxima (1995 GXE) was the top fuse in the last column. It is marked "Elect Parts" and takes a 7.5 fuse. Figures...it was the last one I checked. Everything returned back to normal...."
[ucffl]

I did so and once i bought it out of autozone they both turned back on.

So ill sort the words. Swap/Change the Battery. Clock and Radio dont Work. and Which Fuse fixes the Clock or Radio
Thanks guys this helped me in about 5min to read...5min to autozone...2sec to swap!
Old 10-15-2009, 05:27 AM
Whatchyou say?

Really ???? A 7 year old thread. *I'd like to fill in some explisatives here, but due to forum rules - I shall not* Post this in the "I'm a newbie" section, don't go bumping old threads like this, this forum is already so cluttered because people can't search. How bout this, in stead of dredging up old threads, or starting new ones - you a bit first.