4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Got my Budget Y Pipe. ? on bolts.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 05:28 AM

Got my Budget Y Pipe. ? on bolts.

I just got my y pipe and want to install myself. The pipe didn't come with any bolts. Does anyone know the sizes of bolts I need? I don't want to use my old ones and I'll probably break one taking it off
Old 06-21-2002, 06:57 AM

IIRC, the only bolts are the two at the back end of the y-pipe, all other fastners are nuts. You do not want to break any of the manifold studs that the nuts thread on to - BIG PROBLEMS! Spray all the fastners down with Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster (not WD-40) and let the stuff soak in. It would be best if you could spray them a day in advance and then several times before you start working on it.

You will need a univeral joint, long extension and deep socket to get the nuts off of the rear manifold.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:04 AM

Re: Got my Budget Y Pipe. ? on bolts.

Originally posted by JR_Anders
I just got my y pipe and want to install myself. The pipe didn't come with any bolts. Does anyone know the sizes of bolts I need? I don't want to use my old ones and I'll probably break one taking it off
So how long did it take to get your y from Budget?
Old 06-21-2002, 11:27 AM

Ahhh okay thanks for the info, it took about 2 1/2 weeks after I called them w/my cc#. I ordered it through the group deal.

So for the 2 bolts on the back end of the Y pipe, I have to use the ones off of my old pipe? Or will I just have to pull them off, ride my bike to the hardware store and get the same size?
Old 06-21-2002, 12:24 PM

Ahhh okay thanks for the info, it took about 2 1/2 weeks after I called them w/my cc#. I ordered it through the group deal.

So for the 2 bolts on the back end of the Y pipe, I have to use the ones off of my old pipe? Or will I just have to pull them off, ride my bike to the hardware store and get the same size?
You can re-use them if you don't mess them up. If you do have to replace them, make sure that you get the same grade hardness.
Old 06-21-2002, 05:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you live in the rust belt or up north, you will be LUCKY to get the damn cat/Y bolts off yourself. Many have had to have them professionally torched/welded off. In any case, I just checked my Cattman Y-pipe flex section and replaced the bolts/nuts/washers/gasket. M8 1.25 with at least 30mm length, but preferably 35 or 40mm (exhaust bolts need to be heavy duty). I used 30mm and could not put in one of the washers that I wanted to. I'd also coat the threads of the new bolts with anti-seize compound so you can undo them without much problem later. Definitely get new gaskets if they didn't come with the Y-pipe though: two crush types up front, and a multi-layered gasket for in front of the cat (Dealer usually stockes these, ~$5, $7.50 respectively)