4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Nitrous/power shifting/blowup?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 02:47 PM

Nitrous/power shifting/blowup?

I don't have nitrous but have been researching it and was wondering what people do that run it in manual cars. When I race the 1/4 I power shift (defintion - I keep the gas down while I shift). So, if I were to do that, even if I had a window switch the nitrous would still spay due to the WOT. So what do you guys do? Also, I'm assuming you'd want to stop spraying at the RPM when youd shift, wouldn't you? I'm sure I could wire up a kill relay from the clutch but somebody has probably all ready tackled this concern? Thanks for any input.
Old 06-23-2002, 03:05 PM

I don't know if you are aware, but powershifting is terrible for your entire driveline: clutch, tranny, etc. You DO NOT want to do it, ever. Just lift and shift more quickly; it's not gonna give you that much of a ET decrease anyway.

RE: the NOS, yeah, the window switch would keep the nitrous on while you were shifting. So, LIFT, than you will not bang your motor against the rev-limiter, especially w/ the nitrous.

Did I mention it wasn't good for your car?

Clint
Old 06-23-2002, 03:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you set your window switch to cut the nitrous off at ~6400rpms and the Maxima revlimits at ~6500rpms it would not spray nitrous when the motor bounced of the limiter. But you better have a dam good clutch cause as soon as the motor drops below 6400rpms its going to get hit very hard by the nitrous torque. Its not the motor you would have to worry about if you power shift on nitrous, its the drive line.
Old 06-23-2002, 03:28 PM

As I stated, I don't have nitrous but I figured if I got it I would spray from around 4??? to 6500 (VI is on order) and hope that my shifts would land me just below the turn on for the nitrous. I also think that I would rather have the progressive switch as well. I realize power shifting is bad, but it can't be much worse on my system than spraying nitrous. Thanks for the replies. So mardigrasmax, are you manual? What would be the optimum thing for me to think I'd do?
Old 06-23-2002, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by Toolrocks
As I stated, I don't have nitrous but I figured if I got it I would spray from around 4??? to 6500 (VI is on order) and hope that my shifts would land me just below the turn on for the nitrous. I also think that I would rather have the progressive switch as well. I realize power shifting is bad, but it can't be much worse on my system than spraying nitrous. Thanks for the replies. So mardigrasmax, are you manual? What would be the optimum thing for me to think I'd do?

Yep, I got a manual.

Optimal? Crank up the power till it breaks. Fix what broke. Then turn the power down a hair.

The safest thing to do, IMHO, is to get really fast at lift throttle shifting.
Old 06-23-2002, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

Optimal? Crank up the power till it breaks. Fix what broke. Then turn the power down a hair.
Truer words were never spoken Most people like to push the limits, but they don't like having to pay to play.
They just want to play all the time without having to worry about broken parts
-hype
Old 06-23-2002, 03:47 PM

Thanks again for the info. I checked out your homepage Mardigrasmax and it was very informative. So w/o beating a dead horse - any tips on lift throttle shifting? Btw, have your shift points changed w/ nos, and then also again w/ the VI? I'll leave you alone now.
Old 06-23-2002, 03:49 PM

Thanks again for the info. I checked out your homepage Mardigrasmax and it was very informative. So w/o beating a dead horse - any tips on lift throttle shifting? Btw, have your shift points changed w/ nos, and then also again w/ the VI? I'll leave you alone now.
With a big power adder it is usually best to shift jest before the limiter kicks in.

Tips on lift throttle shifting, practice! When you go to the track get their early so you can make allot of runs and get into a rythm.
Old 06-23-2002, 03:52 PM

Regardless of whether one sprays or not, if you have a VI or a supercharger you want to shift at redline. For lift throttle shifts clutch in only as far as you have to to be able to engage gears cleanly, lift off the throttle at the same time, shift, clutch out and mash the gas. The biggest thing to watch on extremely fast lift throttle shifts is to make sure that you clutch in enough to not grind any gears. I believe it was Brian who shattered a gear by shifting too fast.
-hype