4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Got my rear end spanked by a 60s truck :( .

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 06:19 AM
pro

Got my rear end spanked by a 60s truck :( .

For all of you that dont have any respect for the old 60s trucks you better read this. I was driving down today to work when I pull up to a red light in a 3 lane road. A Mustang pulls up on the far right lane and Im in the far left. Then an old white trash 60s truck pulls up in between us. I line up to race the mustang but he turns right so Im like oh well I guess I wont race at all before I get to work. Well the light turns green and out of my own amazment the truck pulls out like it's trying to race, so after I take a second to think about it I step on the gas, I cannot catch up to him but I think it's only because he started early and I didn't know he wanted to race. So the next light turns red and I am now thinking "Damn Im going to show this guy what the Maxima is made off". The light turns green and like a jack *** I pull out but he gives me a 1/2 sec head start. So I am ahead for the first couple seconds and at about 35 he starts to catch up. At 50 we are about even but I have to turn off so I use that as an excuse to my self. If we kept going I would have propably lost very bad. Do you think he was modded at all or are those damn things just really fast? So I was pretty ****ed off, good thing I didn't have any friends in the car.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 06-28-2002, 06:35 AM
dot dot dot ...

One of my buddies had a 1960 Chevy stepside 2wd, and he had that thing going quick. I didnt have my Max at the time, but just riding in that thing was a rush, fast as hell. Now he transplanted the engine into a 4X4 so, its not as fast but still, I wouldnt wanna run into to him on the streets if he still had that engine in his six O. Dont feel bad, you can make those things run 10's. My friends cousin has a 55 stepside Chevy, and he runs at Roswell somwhere in the Lo 11's. Any engine, like a 427 Rat, 454, 400 sb, 396 BB, or even a plain 350 will drop in those things nicely, and make em run quite fast.

So pro, when you goin to head out to Santa Fe so we can run em?
Old 06-28-2002, 06:37 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Was it a Ford, GM or Dodge? And are you sure it was 1960's?
Early 70's had some big engines. GM had a 454 with a quadrajet carb that was very fast. Not sure what Ford or Dodge had, but he probably had a nice sized V8 in there.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You'll be surprised just how fast they are. One time I went to the track, I saw a few old trucks there racing. At first, I can't help but laugh. However, after seeing none of them running any slower than high 13s, they got my respect. One of them had a big hood scoop on the hood, must have some kind of big block engine in there maybe. I was shocked!
Old 06-28-2002, 06:55 AM
dot dot dot ...

My friend genre of truck 1960-64 if I'm not mistaken, only came with a stright 6, but in the years after that, the came out with the big guns, but after 1970, the fun went away and heavy emissions regulations went into play. The good thing about the early 60s short bed step sides is that they were light compared to the early 70's trucks, although that's why they came with 6 cyl's, thats also part of the beauty of putting a nice V8 in there
Old 06-28-2002, 07:52 AM
pro

Originally posted by NmexMAX
My friend genre of truck 1960-64 if I'm not mistaken, only came with a stright 6, but in the years after that, the came out with the big guns, but after 1970, the fun went away and heavy emissions regulations went into play. The good thing about the early 60s short bed step sides is that they were light compared to the early 70's trucks, although that's why they came with 6 cyl's, thats also part of the beauty of putting a nice V8 in there
Im not sure exactly what year it was and I don't know if it was a chevy or what, Im not too familiar with old trucks and his back was shaved. NmexMAX I want to go there every weekend but I always run out of time. I will propably be dropping my car tomorrow so I might go, if Im not there I will definetly be on Montgomery. Also do you ever go to Roswell, I've been planning on going there some time as it's the closest track to us and will definetly go there when I get mhy NOS. Anyway I just thought it was suprising that those things were that fast and I would never suspect it, total sleeper.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 06-28-2002, 07:55 AM

Cars/Truck of that era had a lot of *****!! I'm hoping to get myself a 1968-69 GTO witha 400ci Ram air engine when I have the $$. CAn't wait!!

it'll be my "fun" car.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:05 AM
pro

Originally posted by Kevin
Cars/Truck of that era had a lot of *****!! I'm hoping to get myself a 1968-69 GTO witha 400ci Ram air engine when I have the $$. CAn't wait!!

it'll be my "fun" car.
That sounds like a plan, I wish they made Maximas back then. Can you imagine the power in that .
Paul
Old 07-10-2002, 09:02 AM

Yeah, I know some of them really has alot of kick....
I've been to a couple of those old car and trucks shows and they put alot of work into those trucks...