4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Budget y-pipe (mandrel bent version) review

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 10:56 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Budget y-pipe (mandrel bent version) review

I bought a Budget Y-pipe at the group deal price. They offered mandrel for no charge and thats what I chose. I used to have a Cattman but I gave it away as a gift.

I received the Y-pipe from Budget the next day they told me it was being shipped (!). It came wrapped in bubble only. The quality of the pipe is okay; compared to the Cattman pipe the welds were kind of messy. I can see splatter inside the O2 sensor bungs. I expected the mounting flanges to be non-stainless, but I was disappointed in finding that the collector was not stainless and all the welds weren't either; now I know why they come painted only.

When installed, the Budget Y-pipe caused the passenger side cat converter rubber hanger to tilt more to the right, and the hanger behind the resonator at the back was tilting to the right as well. The Cattman did the same but it wasn't as severe.

When I lowered the car I started her up. The exhaust sound at idle was mellow. My Max sounds like it has a small V8. I was getting excited. It sounds much nicer than Cattman. Then I drove onto the street. I started off slowly and noticed sounds emanating from the undercarriage. When I accelerate more than 1/3 part-throttle it increased the noise. The pipe makes a strange noise! It makes my car sound like a vintage VW beetle! You should see the looks I get when I WOT . The noise seems to be coming from the flex section. With no throttle applied the noise goes away, but anything over 1/3 part-throttle my car sounds like a rust bucket!

Performance wise, the buttdyno tells me there's little difference between the Cattman and Budget. From an 80mph roll to 90mph, it seems like the Budget pulls a bit harder than Cattman.

Overall I'm ok with the Budget pipe. I have to spend some money to replace the flex section with a lined one and rework the pipe so it won't cause my rubber hangers to hang ackwardly, so the final out-of-pocket cost will be a little more than warpspeed's aluminized non mandrel pipe. I did get what I paid for so I'm not that disappointed.
Old 06-29-2002, 11:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Budget y-pipe (mandrel bent version) review

Originally posted by Smooth Operator
When installed, the Budget Y-pipe caused the passenger side cat converter rubber hanger to tilt more to the right, and the hanger behind the resonator at the back was tilting to the right as well. The Cattman did the same but it wasn't as severe.

The pipe makes a strange noise! It makes my car sound like a vintage VW beetle! You should see the looks I get when I WOT . The noise seems to be coming from the flex section. With no throttle applied the noise goes away, but anything over 1/3 part-throttle my car sounds like a rust bucket!
Good report. That's the first I've heard about noise with the budget pipe. I am still waiting on my pipe, but I'll post when I get it on.

I've heard about fittment issues with my pipes, but what year is your car? I originally had a 1st gen Stillen pipe that had no fittment problems.
On your noise does it occur at a certain rpm range and sound "metallic"? I had this with my Stillen pipe, but the noise wasn't there on the new car that got the pipe. Most ypipes have a hiss, but if you have a "metallic" sounding noise like I did you probably don't have a resonator (like me).
-hype
Old 06-29-2002, 11:30 AM

Re: Re: Budget y-pipe (mandrel bent version) review

Originally posted by xHypex

Good report. That's the first I've heard about noise with the budget pipe. I am still waiting on my pipe, but I'll post when I get it on.

I've heard about fittment issues with my pipes, but what year is your car? I originally had a 1st gen Stillen pipe that had no fittment problems.
On your noise does it occur at a certain rpm range and sound "metallic"? I had this with my Stillen pipe, but the noise wasn't there on the new car that got the pipe. Most ypipes have a hiss, but if you have a "metallic" sounding noise like I did you probably don't have a resonator (like me).
-hype
Thanks. Its a 1997 5sp. Everything is stock except for the Y-pipe. I have the resonator intact.

Yes, it sounds metallic. It sounds like a falty pully bearing noise...or a slipping belt, but not as loud (yes, I checked the belts and pulleys to eliminate them). It sounds like an old Beetle (brEEEEeeEEEEEE!). The noise occurs everytime I apply throttle at any RPM, except when I feather the gas like an old grandma. When I'm coasting or idling the noise disappears. btw, When the car is parked and idling I had my friend zing the motor to 4500rpm while I held a rubber tube to my ear at one end and the other end pointing at the flex section. The noise is there. I'm pretty sure its coming from the flex section.
Old 06-29-2002, 11:35 AM

Very interesting. Maybe yours is a bad flex or something. With a stock exhaust and a resonator you shouldn't really have that problem. I sold my Stillen pipe because I thought the noise was with the pipe itself, but I think it's my exhaust without a resonator. My noise occurred between 2500-3000rpm regardless of how much I was on the throttle. I've also heard of people who have droning, but I haven't ever seen anyone post about a WOT noise through the whole rpm range.
-hype
Old 06-29-2002, 12:02 PM

good review

u should email ur review to budget...they're looking for ppl's responses to their new pipe

i dont know what a bad flex sounds like but when we installed my bro's wsp y there was a noise at around 2k rpm and after i believe...but it was jus the hanger bumping the side so we added a little cushion there to stop the noise
Old 06-29-2002, 12:57 PM

i have budget for 6 months now no problems no sounds same as 95% of people
Old 06-29-2002, 01:46 PM

anyone else with a review on the new budget pipes? i know there were a lot of ppl in that deal
Old 06-29-2002, 02:55 PM
JsL

Thanx for posting your review!! Good to know about the noise, but I think they might have messed up making your pipe.
Old 06-29-2002, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by iregula
What does it sound like compared to stock, for you?
Old 06-29-2002, 03:29 PM

no problems

I got a budget"y" pipe which I installed myself 3 weeks ago and notice no difference in sound. It fit perfectly and I got it delivered in 4 days. The only problem I had was breaking off an O2 sensor when I removed the original equipment. I replaced the O2 sensor and have had no problems. The pipe it self seems great.
Old 06-29-2002, 03:39 PM

Nice write up, mine goes in Monday so i'll comment then. Just got finished installing Cattman CAI took way to long because of wrong drill and six pack of Corona's. VERY PLEASED with Cattmans CAI.
Old 06-29-2002, 04:35 PM

It could be an existing defect or damage caused during shipping. Damage to the flex section prior to the install is a definite possibility, due to the fact that the pipe was not shipped in a box and only bubble-wrapped (thin layers of bubble wrap, i might add). Why they cut corners there I don't know . Either way I'll have it remedied by the end of next week. I hope to obtain a stainless steel flex joint from summit racing or possibly one from Cattman (the new spiral type lined flex joint).

Originally posted by iregula
Well sadly I'm part of the 5%.
Old 06-29-2002, 05:05 PM

Re: Budget y-pipe (mandrel bent version) review

I installed Budget's y-pipe yesterday and ended up with same results as Smooth Operator I mean EXACTLY same problems plus I've noticed that oxygen sensors don't sit deep enough in the pipe as they do on OEM pipe (could be a problem). I think that noise is coming from flex section too, because I've noticed that there is no wrapping material inside it like on OEM pipe. And one more thing, I ran tab water thru y-pipe one day before installing and was surprised how much small metal debris came out of the pipe.
Old 06-29-2002, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by MAX95RUS
And one more thing, I ran tab water thru y-pipe one day before installing and was surprised how much small metal debris came out of the pipe.
are we suppose to clean out the pipe first?? my bro and i didn't do that..i dont think there would be problems tho huh
Old 06-29-2002, 05:12 PM

I installed Budget's y-pipe yesterday and ended up with same results as Smooth Operator I mean EXACTLY same problems plus I've noticed that oxygen sensors don't sit deep enough in the pipe as they do on OEM pipe (could be a problem). I think that noise is coming from flex section too, because I've noticed that there is no wrapping material inside it like on OEM pipe. And one more thing, I ran tab water thru y-pipe one day before installing and was surprised how much small metal debris came out of the pipe.
It sucks that yours make noise too.

Did yours come in a box or was it shipped in bubble wrap only?
Old 06-29-2002, 05:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Budget y-pipe (mandrel bent version) review

Originally posted by MaximaPower

are we suppose to clean out the pipe first?? my bro and i didn't do that..i dont think there would be problems tho huh
I worried about cat converter, didn't want all that stuff to end up in there.
Old 06-29-2002, 05:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Budget y-pipe (mandrel bent version) review

Originally posted by Smooth Operator

It sucks that yours make noise too.

Did yours come in a box or was it shipped in bubble wrap only?
It was shipped in bubble wrap only.
Old 06-29-2002, 05:22 PM

Ive had no probs with mine.

I put it on with no problems, sounded cool, i like it. There was a rattle, common y-pipe prob, so i took of the cat conv. shield off and the rattle is gone. Had no problems since, flex pipe is fine. As stated, it sounded like a grumbly v-8, i have no resonator and dynomax muffler with custom piping. Love the sound, sounds mean.
Old 06-29-2002, 06:33 PM

Budget mandrel bent y pipe review

I also got my Budget mandrel bent pipe a week ago and installed it a few days ago. I was disappointed about the pipe coming in bubble wrap too as the edges seem unprotected when the bubbles broke. I had it installed for 65 bucks b/c I was too lazy about getting the car up on ramps, etc...to install myself. I have all other stock exhaust and the noise is barely any different from before. Maybe a slightly throatier sound at lower rpm's. My body must be numb or something b/c I don't know that I notice that much of a difference on the high or low end. I'm about to install a hybrid K&N intake.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by webboy
Nice write up, mine goes in Monday so i'll comment then. Just got finished installing Cattman CAI took way to long because of wrong drill and six pack of Corona's. VERY PLEASED with Cattmans CAI.
Just had my Y installed along with a High-Flo Cat. The power feel sooo nice But I totally have the Beetle sound also. Its not that loud but it is there hardly noticable with the window up ac on. The CAI drounds it out i guess. But its there, Throtle you can hear it coasting no, cruse no.

Strange isnt it defently coming from the flex section.
Old 07-01-2002, 12:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Budget mandrel bent y pipe review

Originally posted by ATLMax
I also got my Budget mandrel bent pipe a week ago and installed it a few days ago. I was disappointed about the pipe coming in bubble wrap too as the edges seem unprotected when the bubbles broke. I had it installed for 65 bucks b/c I was too lazy about getting the car up on ramps, etc...to install myself. I have all other stock exhaust and the noise is barely any different from before. Maybe a slightly throatier sound at lower rpm's. My body must be numb or something b/c I don't know that I notice that much of a difference on the high or low end. I'm about to install a hybrid K&N intake.
This is the first post I've seen of someone not feeling too much gain with a Y. Even if he might still have the stock air box...wouldn't he feel a lot more pull at the higher RPMs?
Old 07-01-2002, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by webboy

Just had my Y installed along with a High-Flo Cat. The power feel sooo nice But I totally have the Beetle sound also. Its not that loud but it is there hardly noticable with the window up ac on. The CAI drounds it out i guess. But its there, Throtle you can hear it coasting no, cruse no.

Strange isnt it defently coming from the flex section.
i think that sound is normal...my bro's wsp ypipe makes a low, air gushing or kinda buzzin sound when he steps on the gas...not really noticeable unless windows are all closed and radio and ac is off
Old 07-01-2002, 01:25 PM

Re: Re: Budget mandrel bent y pipe review

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson

This is the first post I've seen of someone not feeling too much gain with a Y. Even if he might still have the stock air box...wouldn't he feel a lot more pull at the higher RPMs?

I think its just me...I always loved going from 80 -100 and my car seemed to always do it with no probelm with stock y pipe. With new pipe, it may pull harder but I just don't know if I notice it. Hard to explain. I put in my hybrid intake and love the sound but my low end seems worse. I'll give another update after my week break-in on the ECU.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:44 PM

I installed my budget Y-pipe last week. I experienced the exact same noise that Smooth Operator is describing. It seems to be loudest when the car is in 1st/2nd and in the 2000-2500 rpm range. Since then I put about 400km on the car and the sound is starting to wear off. I can only hear the sound when all my windows are rolled up and radio and fans are off.
Old 07-01-2002, 02:06 PM

maybe just needs to break in?
Old 07-01-2002, 02:15 PM

Re: Re: Budget mandrel bent y pipe review

I think he was just referring to the sound of the pipe.

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson

Old 07-01-2002, 02:34 PM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

So do you guys with the budget y-pipe regret in purchasing it? I am in the process of getting it but I might get warpspeed instead if the budget is a hassle.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:17 PM

No hassles

Originally posted by Iilac
So do you guys with the budget y-pipe regret in purchasing it? I am in the process of getting it but I might get warpspeed instead if the budget is a hassle.
I didn't experience any hassles. Ordered on Wednesday and got it the following Tuesday. It did suck that it was only bubble wrapped. The install took 25 minutes and it was ready to go. The sound is just a bit above stock but sounds throaty, which is awesome. I think the other guys that are having the extra noise need to check the install again...just my 2 cents...
Old 07-01-2002, 08:55 PM

I am going to check gasket between cat converter and y-pipe, hopefully that is the source of "VW noise". I noticed that there is small vibration when waiting at a light; also now my rear view mirror vibrates a little.
But honestly I think that noise is coming from flex section, because I checked y-pipe before installing it and there was no wrapping inside the flex section, and I think there should be one, exactly like on the outside. There is wrapping inside of flex section on OEM y-pipe for sure.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:23 PM

I don't regret it at all. The gains are definetly there. The only caveat for myself would be the "VW noise". It is unlike the bees in a can noise so it isn't anything big. I did not notice any extra vibrations after the install. My pipe came in a cardboard box as well.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:37 PM

I have been trying to order a Budget Y for over 2 weeks now...hopefully they will actually answer the phone and I can order.....then post my impressions
Old 07-01-2002, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by MaximaPower
good review

u should email ur review to budget...they're looking for ppl's responses to their new pipe

i dont know what a bad flex sounds like but when we installed my bro's wsp y there was a noise at around 2k rpm and after i believe...but it was jus the hanger bumping the side so we added a little cushion there to stop the noise
I have that same problem with my wsp. What did you use to make that cushion?
Old 07-01-2002, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by SamMan23

I have that same problem with my wsp. What did you use to make that cushion?
ok..this idea kinda sux..i'm not too creative
well i took some tape..dont know what kind..it's black and thick...well we rolled it up in layers until we had a thick layer of tape then we taped that thick layer of tape right where the hanger hits the side of the car..it was on the passenger side that was making the noise...or all u need to do is bend that side of the hanger away from the side of the car

told u i'm not creative
Old 07-02-2002, 05:45 AM

try e-mail. the GD we just had was all taken through e-mail...

Originally posted by mitch33x
I have been trying to order a Budget Y for over 2 weeks now...hopefully they will actually answer the phone and I can order.....then post my impressions
Old 07-03-2002, 04:56 AM

“VW noise”

OK as I promised before, I checked gasket between y-pipe and cat converter and even installed a new one and "VW noise" is still there!
Now I can say for sure that noise is coming from the flex section, because there is no inner braided liner just like on the outside of the flex section. “VW noise” is caused by exhaust gas turbulence in the flex section.
Old 07-03-2002, 05:43 AM

Re: “VW noise”

OK as I promised before, I checked gasket between y-pipe and cat converter and even installed a new one and "VW noise" is still there!
Now I can say for sure that noise is coming from the flex section, because there is no inner braided liner just like on the outside of the flex section. “VW noise” is caused by exhaust gas turbulence in the flex section.
Did you call Budget? I don't have this problem and just wonder if you got a bad pipe?
Old 07-03-2002, 04:26 PM

“VW noise”

I sent email to Jody today.
Old 07-03-2002, 05:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Budget mandrel bent y pipe review

Is the hybrid intake anything like the JWT Pop-Charger cuz my low end is weak to but I expected that.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:13 PM

no, the JWT is just the adapater, something else that oblts onto the MAF, and the filter....the hybrid gets rid of the stock resonator between the TB and MAF....
Old 07-04-2002, 09:23 PM

Re: “VW noise”

We have another "5 percenter" http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....4&pagenumber=5

taeMAX97 has the same noise problem. It seems like the new Budget pipes with the mandrel bends make the cheap noise whereas the non-mandrel bent pipes do not???

Quick Reply: Budget y-pipe (mandrel bent version) review