4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

97 GXE drives like boat, how would/did you spend only 700 to fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 10:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

97 GXE drives like boat, how would/did you spend only 700 to fix it?

I will likely keep this car for another 20-50k but I think the stock handing is horrible. The GXE floats like a boat , comfy sure, but with THIS engine... please... I need to get this car to handle nicely. (Goal - chase my WRX)

$700 bucks... and so many choices... I was thinking shocks or struts (tokico?) (I do not even know which I have but I don't like them at all) and maybe a light drop with new springs (which ones, from where)? and If I can fit it in my budget sway bars or whatever this 'unique' suspension requires.

One of you has this car and knows it and what it needs. (it is 'broken' in the stock GXE mode, right?!)

A would appreciate a short list of exactly what/where I should search/'shop' (or if you know where is a better than average deal to acquire it)... I know!~ L A Z Y, its true.

One of you true 'enthusiasts' knows this information handily and would hook a tech friendly guy up.

Cheers, . . . .Please and thanks!!

~Hoop
Old 06-29-2002, 11:30 PM

Ok first get:
Rear Sway Bar= ~$115 look at www.cattman.com
Maxspeed or H&R (more comfortable ride), Ebachi Springs (stiffer ride) = from $100-250 depending on which u choose
AGX/KYB struts/shocks= $350- Check the Group Buys section
If you have an extra hundred to spare get a Front Strut Bar

You should first check out the group buys section or parts wanted for any of these items to get them cheaper. Your car will handle GREAT and you won't be mistaken for a 4x4
Old 06-30-2002, 01:41 AM
syc

try this

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=102335
Old 06-30-2002, 01:48 AM

yes, get the front and rear strut bar and the rear sway bar and also change the suspension. I have a 98 GXE and yes it was broken, but now it str8up eats cars in the corners. I have 245s P Zeros on 18X8 rims and the handeling is absolutly amazing.
Old 06-30-2002, 10:06 AM

Save your money and dont spend anything on this car and pitch it as soon as possible. I've come to the realization it costs far too much $ to get this car to do anything that has performance written in it. Be it fast in the drags or to make it handle. As for handling this car was just never made to handle. From its poor weight distribution to its flexible chassis, to the sheer weight and size, to its non independent rear, to its front wheel drive we dont have anything going for it. I have most all the handling mods including Quaife diffy, Sprint springs, AGX shocks, Addco RSB, FSTB and this car still handles like its a giant understeering boat. I'm running the stock 16s with 225 50 16 BFGoodrich Comp TA VR4 tires. So much for the 4DSC idea, thats reserved for BMWs, Audi's, WRX's that can actually handle.